Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #521
whswhs

Default Re: Ghosts and Mind Copies - The Identity Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If it proved impossible to model a human brain successfully; if regardless of everything else being correct consciousness was still missing, then perhaps, you might be right.
That actually is not the view I hold, by the way; I believe that it's possible in principle to create a virtual brain that would be conscious. But I think that, if you made one based on my brain according to the methods in THS, it would not be MY consciousness, any more than, if you made a virtual alimentary canal based on mine in exhaustive detail, the resulting digestion would be MY digestion. My identity is tied to my body.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #522
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Assuming that the human psyche is a purely physical thing is a mistake, I believe. Modeling a brain is not the same thing as creating a soul.
I'm not a dualist. Neither a soul/body dualist nor a mind/body dualist. I consider perception, action, emotion, thought, and volition to be activities of bodies of a certain type. So I'm not going to argue from a dualist perspective.

My argument against uploading is not that a physical process couldn't ever transfer my consciousness into a new body, or a digital model of a body, but that the process described in THS is not the right sort of process to do that.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #523
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That actually is not the view I hold, by the way; I believe that it's possible in principle to create a virtual brain that would be conscious. But I think that, if you made one based on my brain according to the methods in THS, it would not be MY consciousness, any more than, if you made a virtual alimentary canal based on mine in exhaustive detail, the resulting digestion would be MY digestion. My identity is tied to my body.
Yes I understand your point of view here. I generally agree (and I don't have the philosophy background to really explain where I disagree). I only meant to say that combatmedic's extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

It seems simply absurd to claim that a setting isn't hard sf because it lacks proof of the existence of the soul.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #524
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Yes I understand your point of view here. I generally agree (and I don't have the philosophy background to really explain where I disagree). I only meant to say that combatmedic's extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
Not really. My claims about the existence of the human soul are not scientific claims, per se. You need to try to enlarge your mode of thinking for this kind of discussion. We are talking about an area where the physical sciences overlap with metaphysics, faith, spirituality, etc.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #525
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Not really. My claims about the existence of the human soul are not scientific claims, per se. You need to try to enlarge your mode of thinking for this kind of discussion. We are talking about an area where the physical sciences overlap with metaphysics, faith, spirituality, etc.
Hard Science Fiction is science fiction in which everything conforms to understood scientific principles or plausible speculations thereof. It doesn't have any place for absolute statements about untestable ideas.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #526
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Hard Science Fiction is science fiction in which everything conforms to understood scientific principles or plausible speculations thereof. It doesn't have any place for absolute statements about untestable ideas.
Like the implausible idea that souls can be reproduced by machines?
Right you are- and that's why THS is not hard sci fi in the strict sense. It takes a metaphysical stance on human psyches.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #527
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
There is no such idea in the setting. Souls do not provably exist in the setting (just like real life). This isn't a mighty revelation. I'm sure it's quite obvious to you. I'm not going to debate you any further on this subject. If Bill wants to he's welcome to it.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #528
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
There is no such idea in the setting. Souls do not provably exist in the setting (just like real life). This isn't a mighty revelation. I'm sure it's quite obvious to you. I'm not going to debate you any further on this subject. If Bill wants to he's welcome to it.
I wasn't aware that we were debating.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #529
whswhs

Quote:
Right you are- and that's why THS is not hard sci fi in the strict sense. It takes a metaphysical stance on human psyches.
You're the one who's talking about souls. I don't believe that consciousness is in any sense a product of a nonphysical soul. So I don't believe that it's an issue of souls being reproduced by machines. Rather, it's a question of what physical organization is necessary for an entity to have a viewpoint, and under what conditions we can say that an entity at time 1 and an entity at time 2 have the same viewpoint.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #530
sjard
Stick in the Mud

<Moderator>
Keep it civil here please.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags