Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
dgswensen

Default Question about Mythos Fright Checks (Cthulhupunk)

Hi, all.

I have a question about Mythos Fright Checks. I know that a character's Will is cut in half for purposes of determining the fright check result, before any subtractions for Mythos beasties are made. My question is, some of the higher-level old ones have Fright Check penalties of -20.

So say a character has a Will of 12, which is halved to 6, minus 20 is a total of -14. So not only are they rolling against very long odds (I'm assuming only a critical success would succeed), but since you roll on the table and add the number you missed it by, you could easily roll 3d6 on the Fright Check table and have to add 20 or 30 points to your roll.

Is this correct? (I'm an old hand at original Call of Cthulhu; I am not as familiar with GURPS and just want to make sure I'm understanding how to implement the rules correctly.)

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Eljay451

Default Re: Question about Mythos Fright Checks (Cthulhupunk)

That's how I do it. MFC's are nasty.
Eljay451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
garyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgswensen
Is this correct? (I'm an old hand at original Call of Cthulhu; I am not as familiar with GURPS and just want to make sure I'm understanding how to implement the rules correctly.)
I'm also an 'old hand' at CoC... while the fear system works fine for other GURPS in was just a quick fix for GURPS....

I suggest you throw it out... use the CoC System... it helps define the genre much better and should have been imported with the conversion.

Multiply a characters Will+Strongwill times 6 for their current sanity... and then use EVERYTHING else from CoC... I've used it for years...
garyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Eljay451

Hi dgswensen,

Note, garyb and I disagree with this issue. I've had good experience with MFC from GURPS Cthulhupunk. He's had good experience with adapting CoC's system.

Use whichever works best for your campaign. Enjoy!

Sincerely,
--Eljay

Last edited by Eljay451; 10-22-2004 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
dgswensen

Thanks to both of you for your input. I appreciate it.

I might give both approaches a try and see which works best for my players.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

My method for simulating Cthulhu style insanity is to allow players to choose new mental disadvantages for their character at any time I judge it appropriate and to give them the points for the disadvantages.

The players like it because it gives them a chance to rapidly improve their characters (I usually ask that the points go to appropriate skills and advantages, such as combat reflexes, hidden lore or supernatural abilities) and it gives them a chance to choose the psychological problems which they feel are most appropriate for their characters.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:21 AM   #7
Eljay451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism
My method for simulating Cthulhu style insanity is to allow players to choose new mental disadvantages for their character at any time I judge it appropriate and to give them the points for the disadvantages.
You are a kinder, gentler GM than I. I inflict them with the mental disadvantage (which I choose for them). And I don't "comp" them with points to spend.

The net effect is the total bottom-line point value of the character is decreased.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgswensen
Your interpretation seems correct to me. It virtually guarentees that any normal PC will run wibbling away in terror, fall down and wibble, or have a stroke on the spot, when confronted with Cthulhu.

My inner GM says this is the expected result, and therefore is acceptable.

I personally think the halving of Will is a bit of a rules-hack, and would simply give Mythos-check-inducing critters an additional -5 to -10 on the fright check modifier, but I am a kind and loving GM and would never inflict Mythos creatures on my players.

No, never.

Nope nope nope.

Well, maby once.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
dgswensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay451
You are a kinder, gentler GM than I. I inflict them with the mental disadvantage (which I choose for them). And I don't "comp" them with points to spend.

The net effect is the total bottom-line point value of the character is decreased.
Yeah, that was going to be my next question... it does seem a little strange to give characters a big point boost for taking a disastrous fright check; however, on the other hand, the original CoC rules do have a provision for "insane insight," which allows you to boost Cthulhu Mythos ratings and / or get insights into Mythos creatures when you go insane.

So I can see both sides of the coin.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
thastygliax

The creatures that impose -20 on Fright Checks are the ones that in CoC have SAN Loss on the order of 1d10[?]/1d100. If your roll forces you to take the larger amount, then your average SAN Loss is approximately equal to an average character's starting SAN--enough to blast your mind to atoms. If you get lucky and only take the smaller amount, you still have a 50-50 shot of temporary insanity based on that loss. And this doesn't even begin to take into account that most PCs unlucky enough to encounter a Mythos god had to deal with cultists, servitors, and elritch tomes just to get that far, so they're probably a little unhinged already.

So, if you've seen Cthulhu up close and personal and are only rolling 3d+20 or so on the Fright Check Table, you got off light.

Tags
cthulhupunk