Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #1011
Ronnke

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We're looking into it. No promises, but we're searching for workable options.
Will you be able to provide a definitive answer on whether or not you are able to organise Australia friendly shipping before the kickstarter ends? It will most certainly alter my final pledge choices.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:09 AM   #1012
joncarryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Cabaret Chicks on Ice???
Don't tease me. I have pushed my desire for CCoI way down to a deep dark place, so it will be a pleasant surprise when it eventually happens, and I don't spend the time in between in an agony of anticipation.
joncarryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:44 AM   #1013
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
SJ Games really ought to insist that all GURPS product come with a complete GCA file from the authors.
I seem to recall that they once tried to require that all characters in 3rd edition books be provided in GCB format by the authors. To say that this provoked a negative reaction from several authors would be a polite understatement. The idea was basically killed with fire.

Not every GURPS writer uses software aids when preparing characters, and anyway, setting up data files is orders of magnitude harder than just creating characters in GCA. (I can do the latter fairly trivially; I still can't do the former, especially if templates are involved.) The (boring) extra work involved in this idea would lose the company freelances like they were shooing them away with a water cannon.

At best, they'd need to pay for the extra work involved. At freelance software developer hourly rates.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:47 AM   #1014
scc

About GCA, unless DFRPG comes with a copy, don't expect people who buy DFRPG to be using it, but you might be able to offer them up PDFs of characters created with it.

And as for Cabaret Chicks on Ice hasn't that been out for years? Haven't we gotten three companions for it? Or has meaning of the term changed?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 AM   #1015
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
Will you be able to provide a definitive answer on whether or not you are able to organise Australia friendly shipping before the kickstarter ends? It will most certainly alter my final pledge choices.
Unknown. Until we have something nailed down, we cannot make an announcement. All we can say with certainty is that shipping will not be higher than listed in the FAQ.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:35 AM   #1016
trooper6

Quote:
I don't understand this at all.
CGA is not Mac compatible. That leaves a lot of people out...including me. I will use GCS...but I actually think it is important for new players to do the characters by hand, they learn the game better that way. But once they really understand the character creation process, I find using GCS totally fine. CGA? Can't use it.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 AM   #1017
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
CGA is not Mac compatible. That leaves a lot of people out...including me. I will use GCS...but I actually think it is important for new players to do the characters by hand, they learn the game better that way. But once they really understand the character creation process, I find using GCS totally fine. CGA? Can't use it.
Well if you're using Parallels you can apparently get it to work. I'm also guessing that anyone that doesn't use a PC is completely out of luck
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:22 AM   #1018
Phil Masters

Quote:
What I don't understand is people that could use these tools but don't.
Pencils and paper are tools. Just lower-tech tools.

Taste in tools varies a lot in almost every field.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 AM   #1019
Myrion

It also tends to break randomly and is not exactly trivial to learn. It can also easily be overwhelming with the amount of options it offers.

I used to use it, but stopped when I got more comfortable with the rules. It's just easier for me to create my character using pen and paper or in a format like Markdown.
Myrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 AM   #1020
Refplace

As useful as GCA may be to somepeople its not part of the kickstarter. Expecting people brand new to GURPS to want to get it it to play DFRPG is an error. Even talking about it could scare people off by giving them the idea you need a computer program to help you build your character.
I think more than enough has been said in the thread and maybe the topic should have its own thread if people want to debate GCA merits.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy