Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #11
hari

Default Re: Grimmer Futures: Cthulhupunk and Cthulhutech crossover

I agree, there should be more comments. I havn't taken the time to look over more than just the beginning of the timeline, but I liked the methodology and purpose and what not. I'm interested in seeing where you go with this, since I've got a vaguely similar idea in my head that would have to be developed in something of a similar way.

I don't know, I suppose I'm not the intended audience. But I'm not a big fan of timelines. I would appreciate them more if I understood a little better how they are pushing the world to become the setting that they become. But I should wait until I read it at length. But in the meantime, that should be taken as encouragement to post about the mythos.

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
tantric
Banned

Default Re: Grimmer Futures: Cthulhupunk and Cthulhutech crossover

I tried something like this a while back, never went anywhere. Here's the intro scenario...(actually, the results of it. ProvGov has an experimental weapons lab that releases the Wendigo)

The WeirdWar, which followed WWIII, began in 2037 with the Great Snap, which was a kind of very sudden Ice Age that completely froze Canada, Alaska and the northern USA. Millions died during the first six months from the cold alone, and millions more in the coming year from famine. In 2038, American scientists diagnosed the first case of Snap Syndrome, a bizarre kind of mental illness brought on by traumatic stress and famine. Six months later, the cause was traced to a prion contracted from eating human flesh, which affects the frontal lobes and slowly turns the victim into a kind a rabid predator, devoid of language but filled with cunning. In the winter of 2039, the Snap reached across the Pole to northern Eurasia, and it became clear that some agency was *causing* the freeze. Entire cities would vanish into a freezing fog and utter communications blackout, whereupon the citizen would riot and tear each other apart until they froze in place. Thermal imaging of the cloud showed a gigantic humanoid form at a totally impossible -500Centigrade (less than absolute zero, cold enough to freeze hydrogen solid), surrounded by waving tentacles of freezing cloud. The world media promptly dubbed it "wedigo", a name that was already on everyone's lips since the plague of cannibalism in North America. Conventional military assault had one noticeable result: it proved that there was intent behind the Snaps. The assaults did zero damage to the Wendigo, but they DID annoy it, with the result of total loss of all attacking units. The first nuclear attack took it by surprise and apparently hurt it, but the attacking generals erred on the side of caution and used a single low yield device. It fled back to North America, only to return in 2040 - and this time, it simply froze any incoming missiles and went about it's merry way. Over the next few years, while northern Eurasia froze and died, the surviving world governments orbited a ring of microwave beam station powerful enough to chase the invader back to the Arctic Circle. They did NOT actually kill it - the Arctic Circle is a permanent death zone, but the thing is apparently underneath the ice. The Ring of Fire was left on automatic detect and fire, and fitted with SOTA nanotech self-repairing systems. The WeirdWar represented humanity first brush with one of the Great Old Ones, just one of them, and resulted in the death of 2 billion people worldwide over five years and uncountable climatic damage to the entire globe.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cthulhupunk