Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
False. Malediction allows any target to choose not to resist.
not wrong, without fixed duration Affliction always requires a roll because the the role deterred duration.

Non-Affliction Maledictions might be true, but not Affliction Maledictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
If I use an Affliction modified with Malediction to give an advantage and the player decides not to resist, how long does the advantage last? Normally the Affliction last one minute per point the resistance roll fails by, but Malediction states the target does not have to choose to resist. Would you just use a base one minute for Afflictions which the target chooses not to resist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Even if the victim chooses not to resist, roll exactly as if he had chosen to resist. If he loses the Quick Contest, work out duration based on your margin of victory over his resistance. Even if he wins, duration is the minimum 1 minute (this guaranteed minute of effect is the net effect of "not resisting").
hence why Beneficial Affections rolls HT+x instead to increase the chance that they work.

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-03-2015 at 06:33 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
not wrong, without fixed duration Affliction always requires a roll because the the role deterred duration.

Non-Affliction Maledictions might be true, but not Affliction Maledictions
I'm sorry, I've been poring over these two lines for a while now, but I can't make sense of them. Maybe it's because I speak English only as a second language. Could you explain, please?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
I'm sorry, I've been poring over these two lines for a while now, but I can't make sense of them. Maybe it's because I speak English only as a second language. Could you explain, please?
Malediction on a ability other than Affliction you can skip a roll just by the target choosing not to resist like Nereidalbel is insisting on. However I'm pointing out that Affliction does not allow you to skip that roll because the margin of success of the quick contest is what duration is based on. And this why Beneficial Affections rolls HT+x instead of the normal HT-x like normal as you're not resisting.

However combining Beneficial Affections and Fixed Duration Will get rid of the rol and give a preset duration.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
Donny Brook

So one of the key potential benefits of Malediction is brutally and counter-intuitively nerfed. Sad, just sad.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
So one of the key potential benefits of Malediction is brutally and counter-intuitively nerfed. Sad, just sad.
My Opinion, of course, but: Malediction (with the special Affliction exception) being grossly broken as combined with Affliction as-is, I'm not surprised to see the nerf-bat being wielded. Malediction is a little suspicious to me anyways, but Malediction/Affliction is just bleh. It makes buying more levels of Affliction a Stupid Move. It being a leveled advantage, that says to me there's a serious design problem in there.

That said, Malediction/Affliction got the special exception because the Affliction pricing/setup seems wonky and Malediction is so expensive (and commonly used with Affliction) that it exaggerates the problem until you can see it casually. I'm on the record as thinking this should be solved starting with re-examining Affliction, and work our way outwards from there. Kromm's proposed a few good speculative solutions.

Nerfing only part of the Malediction/Affliction interaction seems wonky. Starting at the wrong end of the elephant.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
No the key benefit of Malediction for Afflictions is that DR is not added to the HT resistance rolls.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:46 AM   #17
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No the key benefit of Malediction for Afflictions is that DR is not added to the HT resistance rolls.
As well as taking active defenses off the table.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #18
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
There is, however, one more aspect that I neglected to mention: Alice would need to keep taking Concentrate maneuvers for the whole time. No rolls except for the first one, but concentration is required the whole time she bestows the advantage.
That is "Requires Concentration -15% GURPS Powers p.112

And given you have Contact Agent and Melee Attack on in it, There is nothing Malediction is adding to your build. If they're not resisting then there not rolling active defence vs your touch and there are no range modifiers. So it's an unnecessary expense.

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-06-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 AM   #19
Nereidalbel

Wait, Malediction is a penetration modifier. This makes any build involving Malediction and Contact Agent invalid to begin with.

If you want somebody to waive their rolls, add Based on Will (+20%), since you can always choose to fail a Will roll.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #20
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Wait, Malediction is a penetration modifier. This makes any build involving Malediction and Contact Agent invalid to begin with.

If you want somebody to waive their rolls, add Based on Will (+20%), since you can always choose to fail a Will roll.
Ooh, good catch! Thank you!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, reduced duration