Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: so an ugly race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I've suggested that as an explanation for why Orcs are so cranky, and always seem to be lead by a human/demon/whatever evil overlord.
And why there are so many half-orcs. Still doesn't explain why there are so many half-humans roaming around.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I've suggested that as an explanation for why Orcs are so cranky, and always seem to be lead by a human/demon/whatever evil overlord.
I tend to assume orcs are unnatural, which gets rid of any concerns about being ugly. Hm. That gives me an interesting idea: orcs aren't a race at all. Instead, orcishness is some sort of disease or curse, which is blocked by something in civil society (say, regularly attending church), and thus bandits and outlaws and isolated communities that have lost their leadership tend to naturally turn into orcs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
And why there are so many half-orcs. Still doesn't explain why there are so many half-humans roaming around.
Because humans have a serious shortage of taste?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
SolemnGolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Because humans have a serious shortage of taste?
Hey! We humans aren't "promiscuous", we're "evolutionarily adaptable"!
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Also, many Parahuman races have Appearance in their templates and are affected by this Appearance.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
snip: an Ogre may be Ugly by human standards he can still be Attractive by Ogre standards.
I had Ugly in a number of racial templates and decided to dump it for that reason plus it was Free Points for players.

It's an issue I'd like to handle - the various races all being unattractive to humans or the other races. I mean, would Appearance (Not Own Race, -75%) be a solution? (if they have a racial appearance, this sets reaction values and a point cost that can be bought off - an inverse universal).
Or do you just make it a Racial Feature note?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
It's an issue I'd like to handle - the various races all being unattractive to humans or the other races. I mean, would Appearance (Not Own Race, -75%) be a solution? (if they have a racial appearance, this sets reaction values and a point cost that can be bought off - an inverse universal).
Or do you just make it a Racial Feature note?
The whole matter has been handled already on p. 43 of GURPS Social Engineering, and without awkward complexities like (Not Own Race, -75%). Basically, (Not Own Race) is automatically part of racial appearance, by definition. If you want the racial appearance to affect the race itself, you have to buy Appearance with (Universal, +25%) as a racial trait.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Basically, (Not Own Race) is automatically part of racial appearance, by definition.
Which makes racial appearance substantially different in value from conventional appearance, and possibly almost totally valueless (if the race in question is the dominant race in an area).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Which makes racial appearance substantially different in value from conventional appearance, and possibly almost totally valueless (if the race in question is the dominant race in an area).
If your race is the dominant race in the reference society, then your race's appearance would ordinarily be neutral.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
kansasdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
...So while an Ogre may be Ugly by human standards he can still be Attractive by Ogre standards.
True, though it might be fun to have a universe where human beauty is a cosmic standard. This would work for the sort of pulp setting where the hideous tentacled monstrosities are bent on capturing beautiful Earthlings.
kansasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasdave View Post
True, though it might be fun to have a universe where human beauty is a cosmic standard. This would work for the sort of pulp setting where the hideous tentacled monstrosities are bent on capturing beautiful Earthlings.
You know, I've read a lot of pulp science fiction. And I have seen scenes where tentacle monsters grab for girls. But you know, in the each of those cases they were also grabbing for the guy, and in no case with amorous intent. The main appeal of girls to tentacle monsters is that they can't run as fast.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appearance, beautiful, racial template, ugly