Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
acrosome

Default Critique my Byakhee

Can you all critique my critter? I'm not a very facile critter-creator. The basic attributes are converted from CoC statistics using a system I devised, and I'm pretty set on them, but all else is fair game. I'm particularly interested if I am missing subtleties of all those advantages and disadvantages. I may not adopt all of your recommendations, but I'm very interested in hearing them.

Like everyone else on this planet, I actually started work on a GURPS CoC conversion a while ago and I'm just getting back to it. So more critters will be forthcoming for critique. If you're interested the initial discussion is here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...t=call+cthulhu, and I have tweaked some things since then. (In other words, since Horror was released...) Primarily, I've gone back and forth on the magic system, and finally decided that sticking to the "standard" GURPS system allow for by far the easiest conversion from CoC sources so I'm just stating the spells up. Also, I've decided not to give all of the critters Terror. The Byakhee, for instance, is just scary as a "monster" (recall that the fright penalty for an "ordinary" monster can be as high as -10). But seeing Azathoth will definitely expose you to Terror 21 (Cosmic, Sight-based, Always On), so that your Fearlessness and Unfazeable advantages won't work. (Assuming that I understand the Cosmic enhancement correctly.)

Byakhee
638 points

Attribute Modifiers: ST+8 [72], DX+2 [40], IQ-1 [-20].
Advantages: 3D Spacial Sense [10]; Acute Hearing 2 [4]; Claws (Talons) [8]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, Can't Wear Armor) [3]; Doesn't Breathe [20]; Enhanced Move 1 (Air) [20]; Enhanced Move 1 (Space) [20]; Extended Lifespan 7 [14]; Flight (Space Flight, Winged) [50]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; Hyperspectral Vision (Extended High-Band) [33]; Increased Fatigue 1 [3]; Increased Perception 1 [5]; Increased Will 1 [5]; Indomitable [15]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Radiation Tolerance (PF1000) [45]; Reduced Consumption 4 (Cast-Iron Stomach) [8]; Temperature Tolerance 100 [100]; Unfazeable [15]; Vacuum Support [5]; Vampiric Bite (Only Heals FP, -20%; Includes Sharp Beak) [26]; Warp (Accessibility: in space only, -40%; Extra Carrying Capacity: Heavy Encumbrance, +30%; Reliable +10, 100%) [190].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Monstrous) [-20]; Bestial [-15]; Cannot Speak [-15], Gluttony [-5]; Ham-Fisted [-10]; Hidebound [-5], Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25].
Quirks: Fright Check is -3 [0]
Skills: Aerobatics (H) DX [4], Brawling (E) DX [2], Flight (A) HT [2]. Some exceptional individuals may know 1d6/2 spells, usually related to Hastur.

So, an average byakhee looks like this:

Height: ~8 ft. Weight: 250-300 lbs.

ST 18 HP 18
DX 12 Will 10
IQ 9 Per 10
HT 10 FP 11

SM +1
DR 2 (tough skin)
Dodge 8
Parry 9

Basic Lift 65 lbs.
Basic Speed 5.5
Basic Move (ground) 5
Basic Move (flight) 20
Basic Move (space) 20
Claws: 1d+1 cut or imp
Bite: 1d+1 pi+

Design Notes:

3D Spacial Sense, Doesn't Breathe, Radiation Tolerance, Temperature Tolerance, and Vacuum Support all support the ability to survive in space. The Temperature Tolerance is from -460 (absolute zero) to +540°F, but does not protect against fire attacks- just heat per se. I wasn't sure just how hot I should make them tolerant, since there really is no upper limit to temperature in space if you aren't radiating the heat off, so I just made something up. I made Radiation PF the maximum available, since they often seem to be found in hellishly radioactive settings without ill effect. I have read references to a byakhee's "breath", so I may modify Doesn't Breath with a form of Oxygen Storage, but I'm not sure. I know I broke a rule by having Flight (Space Flight, Winged) but, hey, that's the way byakhee work.

Byakhee are tough but not indestructible. Nonetheless, I have a hard time imagining a group of investigators capturing one by bludgeoning it into unconsciousness- thus Hard to Subdue.

I find no direct references of byakhee seeing in the dark, but they seem to most often operate nocturnally and thus it would seem to be inferred. I have seen references to their eyes as “insect like” which would imply Ultravision, but they also have a high Spot Hidden skill. Hyperspectral vision would account for all of this, and with the Extended High-Band modifier it would be useful for a spacefaring species.

I added Acute Hearing to simulate their Listen skill, and added a point to Per, Wil, and FP to bring them up to my converted levels.

I can find no references for Byakhee lifespan other than the general discussion on CoC creature lifespans in Malleus Monstrorum, so I used that as a guide. I figured that I'd use Extended Lifespan for critters that are very long-lived and then switch to Unaging for those that live for Extended Lifespan 8 or more, if only for simplicity's sake.

The penalty for a 1 light-year warp is -17 to the IQ roll. Every order of magnitude (tenfold) increase in range beyond this is another cumulative -1. The Reliability of the Warp advantage is a bonus to IQ (+10). Flying straight upward it takes Byakhee about an hour to leave the Earth's atmosphere and be able to Warp, during which it can be preparing to Warp for a +7 to skill. Expending FP can also give a bonus to skill (which is why byakhee tend to arrive hungry). So to make the warp to Azathoth (10 billion light years) is -27 for distance, +10 for reliability, +7 for prep time, for a net -10 to the IQ roll, further modified by whatever FP the byakhee spends. For the 400 light year trip to Celaeno it is -20 for distance, +10 for reliability, +7 for prep time, for a net -3 to the IQ roll, further modified by whatever FP the byakhee spends.

Being 8 feet tall doesn't quite reach SM+1 (by the speed/range chart that would take 9 feet) but I figured that the wings would increase the area of the target, so I made them SM+1.

Thanks..

Last edited by acrosome; 07-10-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Updating changes from suggestions...
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Critique my Byakhee

Shouldn't the space support abilities have Affects Others?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Shouldn't the space support abilities have Affects Others?
No, I don't think so. Isn't that what space mead is for?

Oh, and wait- ST is cheaper with SM+1, isn't it?

And I need to add the point of extra Will and FP.

HA! That actually leaves the point total exactly the same. It's like there's some eldrich force guiding my hand. The universe has decreed that byakhee cost 631 points. How could it be otherwise? :)

Last edited by acrosome; 07-07-2012 at 08:29 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
HA! That actually leaves the point total exactly the same. It's like there's some eldrich force guiding my hand. The universe has decreed that byakhee cost 631 points. How could it be otherwise? :)
...and so it was observed that their number shall begin with the NUMBER OF THE DIE, and that its second and third digits shall be the NUMBER OF THE DIE divided by 2(!) and then that result over 3(!) arrayed in a descending string that stretches across the cosmos, for which revelations they rejoiced and, giving thanks, ate No Hot Dog Buns...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
No, I don't think so. Isn't that what space mead is for?
Yeah, forgot about space mead. Nevermind.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I can find no references for Byakhee lifespan other than the general discussion on CoC creature lifespans in Malleus Monstrorum, so I used that as a guide.
What does that say? Unaging would be cheaper.
Quote:
The penalty for a 1 light-year warp is -17 to the IQ roll. Every order of magnitude (tenfold) increase in range beyond this is another cumulative -1. The Reliability of the Warp advantage is a bonus to IQ (+10). Flying straight upward it takes Byakhee about an hour to leave the Earth's atmosphere and be able to Warp, during which it can be preparing to Warp for a +7 to skill. Expending FP can also give a bonus to skill (which is why byakhee tend to arrive hungry). So to make the warp to Azathoth (10 billion light years) is -27 for distance, +10 for reliability, +7 for prep time, for a net -10 to the IQ roll, further modified by whatever FP the byakhee spends. For the 400 light year trip to Celaeno it is -20 for distance, +10 for reliability, +7 for prep time, for a net -3 to the IQ roll, further modified by whatever FP the byakhee spends.
Have you considered giving them a Power Talent?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
CousinX

Quote:
Byakhee
631 points
Looks pretty good to me ... a few questions/comments:

Quote:
Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, Can't Wear Armor) [3]
Don't they have a hard, insect-like shell? I'd call that DR without Tough Skin. I'd also probably put it higher, like 5, but that's a matter of taste, and also of what kinds of heroes you want it to go up against and how big of a threat you want it to pose.

Quote:
I have seen references to their eyes as “insect like” [...]
Maybe Peripheral Vision?

Quote:
Extended Lifespan 8 [16]
[...]
I can find no references for Byakhee lifespan other than the general discussion on CoC creature lifespans in Malleus Monstrorum, so I used that as a guide.
Why not just Unaging [15]?

Quote:
I gave up on trying to make a version of Vampiric Bite that didn't heal the biter, and just used the regular version instead. So, my version of byakhee are vampires... If I can I'll fix that later.
Maybe Only Heals FP, -20%? They're still sucking blood and using it to restore themselves - not to heal damage, but to recharge the FP they just spent on Warp.

Quote:
One thing I'm worried about are those claw damages. These things are much more deadly that the CoC ones.
I'm not seeing where the 3d comes from... shouldn't it be 1d+1?

Quote:
They are still going to fall like wheat to the scythe before anyone with a Thompson, though.
That was my thought ... they're essentially mooks against PCs with automatic weapons, only threatening in large numbers. To make them tougher (say, for a Monster Hunters campaign), I'd add some DR and/or Injury Tolerance (Unliving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
...and so it was observed that their number shall begin with the NUMBER OF THE DIE, and that its second and third digits shall be the NUMBER OF THE DIE divided by 2(!) and then that result over 3(!) arrayed in a descending string that stretches across the cosmos, for which revelations they rejoiced and, giving thanks, ate No Hot Dog Buns...
Can I get a Hail Eris?
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
kdtipa

Some one else mentioned a modified vampiric bit to heal FP instead of HP, which sounds like a great excuse for them to "feed" after a taxing warp, but if you're just looking for a bite that does continuing damage, why not model it with the Powers rules? I don't have my book with me, and I don't use those rules enough to know them off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's possible to model a bite with special effects.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
Some one else mentioned a modified vampiric bit to heal FP instead of HP, which sounds like a great excuse for them to "feed" after a taxing warp, but if you're just looking for a bite that does continuing damage, why not model it with the Powers rules? I don't have my book with me, and I don't use those rules enough to know them off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's possible to model a bite with special effects.
Follow Up (Natural Weapon), +0%, is in Basic on pg 105. Applying that to an appropriate Innate Attack w/ Cyclic applied makes for a bite that does continuing damage.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
What does that say? Unaging would be cheaper.
Dunno that source, but, as servants of The Unspeakable One, their duties regularly involve long, interstellar trips, so some form of life extension seems appropriate. Even though they are made of normal matter, it is probably safe to give them at least a limited version of Unaging.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote