Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #31
David Johnston2

Default Re: Why does the future only begin at TL9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkir View Post
It's been replaced by workstation terminal components.

There aren't lines, there are walls. Adding a little ladder would have been helpful.
I'm not talking about including every single bit mentioned in LT/HT in UT. But why is the change from batteries to power cells not even worth a single paragraph?
What change? Batteries are power cells.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #32
mearrin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
The new GCHQ building in the UK has had some pretty fancy-ass (and classified) shielding built into it as well ... but strangely, no defenses against dragons or minotaurs, so I think we can assume that TEMPEST ... or something very like it is non-mythological enough that people who know a thing or two about ELINT find it worrisome.
Oh, I don't know. We had a ballista on the roof. We were ready for those pesky dwagons. Commie dwagons. Can't say about the minotaur. There might have been one up in the tech section. I always used to get lost in that labyrinth and I swear, one night, I heard snorting. I guess it could have been that tubby Air Force tech sergeant that worked up there...but I can't say for sure. ;)
M
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #33
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Microwave Disruptors are "refinements of single shot explosively pumped high power Microwave Pulse weapons of TL8" Huh? What does that mean? They're not listed in High Tech.
It means that explosively pumped high power microwave weapons exist at TL 8, which may be true (I don't know if any are deployed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Computer Monitoring Gear using TEMPEST is a MYTH!
Not precisely; there's some reason to be suspicious of the statistics, and it probably works better on more primitive hardware, but a wire carrying data does generate radio waves unless shielded, and those radio waves are in principle detectable.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #34
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Without breaking the NDA that I have with the military, I'll just say that I've seen some things which might make you think differently [about beamed microwave power].
Generally, technological devices or processes are assigned a TL corresponding to when they became reasonably mature, and their use is widespread. Experimental or prototype versions usually appear a TL earlier.

If effective, safe, reliable beamed power is still so secret and cutting edge that you've seen it, but can't talk about it, then we're probably not there yet.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #35
walkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What change? Batteries are power cells.
They haven't got the same classes (those don't even map sizewise), weights are very different and cost too. I don't think so.
But if you were right, a single sentence would have been helpful.
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkir View Post
They haven't got the same classes (those don't even map sizewise), weights are very different and cost too. I don't think so.
But if you were right, a single sentence would have been helpful.
"All power cells are assumed to be compact and relatively inexpensive. They may be advanced electrical batteries, micro fuel cells, superconductor loops or even more exotic power supplies."

Page 18
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #37
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
"All power cells are assumed to be compact and relatively inexpensive. They may be advanced electrical batteries, micro fuel cells, superconductor loops or even more exotic power supplies."

Page 18
...does not address the point that GURPS accounts HT batteries and UT power cells with incompatible systems, does it?

Pedantically speaking, 'power cells may be batteries' is quite different from 'batteries are power cells'
Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #38
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
...does not address the point that GURPS accounts HT batteries and UT power cells with incompatible systems, does it?
I don't understand the point.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #39
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I don't understand the point.
Sometime between now and TL9, we're apparently scheduled to replace all our current battery sizes. And fairly significantly change their cost scaling and density. You'll know it's the future when you can't buy a car battery, but a 20-lb battey the size of a backpack is realiy a fairly common.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Sometime between now and TL9, we're apparently scheduled to replace all our current battery sizes.
Given that UT power cells are vastly more capable than modern batteries (lead acid car battery: 30-40 Wh/kg. UT power cell: not explicitly stated, but looks to follow the TS lead, so something like 500-1000 Wh/kg), a change in sizes is hardly surprising.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, science fiction, technology