Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #41
Kale

Default Re: Science Fiction Film Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
How short is the barrel?

A 10" barrel with the real world 7.62mm NATO round yields a 5d+1 or so, but anything longer would probably be in the region of 6d.
It's a tough call. The weapon holds 60 rounds, so clearly they are not as bulky as NATO 7.62. I assumed plastic case to reduce the bulk somewhat, but even so it seems hard to justify a full-powered 7.62 round in that large a clip. I was assuming a combination of short barrel and something more like 7.62x39 (Russian) but with a bit more pep due to ultra-tech propellants. I suppose we could assume the extra pep brings it all the way up to 7.62 NATO, but then recoil would increase, yes? On the other hand, the in game weapon did have a pretty wide spray, which high recoil would contribute to...
Again, it mainly depends on how tough you want to make the enemies. Scale armor and hit points accordingly.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #42
Ragitsu
Banned

Magazine or mag, not clip.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #43
Philosopher Rogue

Back to the revolvers being caseless thing: wouldn't all firearms be considered "caseless" until cartridges were invented? :)

Great ideas folks!

I've seen all the Warhammer 40k guns done in other threads, so that covers that.. What about the Pulse Gun or the Raorjack/Ripper from Unreal Tournament? Or the Lancer and Torque Bow from Gears of War?

Hmm, maybe "The Colt" from Supernatural?
Philosopher Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #44
Kaldrin

How about the rebar gun from Half-life? That was my favourite weapon of all time in games.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #45
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin View Post
How about the rebar gun from Half-life? That was my favourite weapon of all time in games.
Nothing says class like flinging a red hot chunk of steel at somebody's noggin'. The crossbow was just a little cinematicaly ranged and/or accurate though... @:-)

Speaking of precision weapons, the Magnum was fairly well modeled in the game. My one complaint is the hitting power and recoil seem more consistent with .44 rather than .357. I've personally fired a .357 with full-powered loads and it doesn't kick like that. I've seen people fire the .44 though and it does kick rather handily. If I was going to stat up the magnum in HL I'd use the .44 rather than the .357 shown.

Ragitsu: Yes, you're right. Clips are something you shove into M1 Garands or Mauser pistols. Still, the slang stuck as a result of those types of weapons. Nit picking aside though, the *magazine* capacity of the MA5B is quite high for a heavy 7.62mm round.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #46
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Speaking of precision weapons, the Magnum was fairly well modeled in the game. My one complaint is the hitting power and recoil seem more consistent with .44 rather than .357. I've personally fired a .357 with full-powered loads and it doesn't kick like that. I've seen people fire the .44 though and it does kick rather handily. If I was going to stat up the magnum in HL I'd use the .44 rather than the .357 shown.
Except that if I remember right, as with most video game pistols you could use it to shoot the eye out of a squirrel at max render distance while moving at a dead run.

Or is that 'fairly well modeled' in context?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #47
Gizensha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Nah - it's from the movie. Taken from Douglas Adams' own script for the film though, so isn't an outrageous liberty or anything like that. (The more I watch that film, the more I like it - some very fine moments indeed: the demolition of Earth and the Magrathean factory floor are jaw-droppingly marvellous).
Certainly not as bad as it's reputation, and while it isn't my favourite version of Hitchhikers I was somewhat relieved to see it had followed the tradition of being vastly different from every other version rather than being a straight adaptation of another version like I'd feared it would be. I think the surreal vista of the So Long And Thanks For All The Fish song and the queueing sequence made the film worth seeing for me.

Quote:
The Point of View Gun is an amazing weapon that, when you shoot someone with it, they immediately see things from your point of view. Sort of the ultimate non-lethal weapon.

Can we stat temporary empathy (limited to shooter's feelings only) as an affliction?
Affliction 1 (Temporary Advantage (Empathy (One Person Only -80%)) +30%) 13, I think.

...I'm not convinced, however, that afflicting empathy is the right advantage to represent that effect... Some sort of limitations on telesend, perhaps?
Gizensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #48
weby

As for revolvers using caseless ammo: They might actually be better than automatic weapons for caseless.

Basically a big problem with caseless weapons is that the firing chamber gets hot much faster with no brass to take away some of the heat. Thus the ammunition tends to start cooking off because of that heat. A revolver has multiple cahmers, so likely it would take more total shots for the heat buildup to reach critical levels.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #49
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

While it's not a film weapon, my favorite fictional weapon has to be Reason from the novel Snow Crash. It's a Gatling Rail Gun which fires Depleted Uranium Needles and is powered by an NPU. It's firmware was a little buggy (causing the gun to lock up in one battle) but you gotta love the name - it's called Reason because "Everyone listens to Reason."
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-10-2009 at 07:00 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #50
SuedodeuS

With video games in mind, how about the Railway Rifle from Fallout 3? It's a steam-powered weapon cobbled together from a steam gauge assembly (the barrel), a crutch (shoulder stock), a pressure cooker (generate steam), and fission battery (presumably heats the water). It fires, as the name implies, railway spikes. Nasty. I guess it's basically a patchwork version of Predator's speargun. Unlike most air guns, however, it's loud. Probably due to the steam gauge assembly apparently incorporating a steam whistle.

Tags
sci-fi, science fiction, ultra-tech, weapons