Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
Max Schreck

Default More Ĉon Flux

Ĉon's Dart Gun

Beginning with the third season, Ĉon had switched to a strangely designed dart gun of some sort; Peter Chung, the creator of the show, sarcastically commented that a gun was all right as long as it didn't fire real bullets, referring to MTV's ban on too graphic violence in the show. This ban also resulted in any semblance of blood was redacted out of the show, a quite jarring difference from the two previous seasons that had featured monumental piles of corpses, and a warehouse so filled with blood that you could practically drown in it.

The gun in question was a dart, or if you will, needle pistol. It is never disclosed how it fires, but unlike the FUG-1 machine pistol it did not expel any shell casings; it did however have a muzzle flash. This has led me to conclude that it fired caseless needles, rather than being a Gauss weapon. A calibre is never disclosed, so I have just guessed. It was also relatively silent, so it probably has an integral silencer in the barrel.

TL9 Caseless Dart Pistol: FUG-2, 3.5mm
Damage: 3d+2 pi- Acc 2 Range: 200/2,200 Weight: 1.6/0.2 RoF: 3 Shots: 40+1 (3) ST 8 Bulk -1 Rcl 2 Cost 870 LC 3
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
lwcamp

Default Re: More Ĉon Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schreck
The gun in question was a dart, or if you will, needle pistol. It is never disclosed how it fires, but unlike the FUG-1 machine pistol it did not expel any shell casings; it did however have a muzzle flash. This has led me to conclude that it fired caseless needles, rather than being a Gauss weapon. A calibre is never disclosed, so I have just guessed. It was also relatively silent, so it probably has an integral silencer in the barrel.
Modern railguns produce a muzzle flash from the plasma arc they strike across the rails. I expect this would be quite loud, however.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Max Schreck

Default Re: More Ĉon Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp
Modern railguns produce a muzzle flash from the plasma arc they strike across the rails. I expect this would be quite loud, however.

Luke
I would imagine that a pistol-sized electromagnetic gun would be a coilgun, rather than a railgun. I don't know if a coilgun would produce the muzzle flash you describe, however. I know little of electromagnetic weapons other than what I've read in SF.

Max
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Max Schreck

Default Ĉon Flux: Trevor Goodchild's gun

Okay, one more from the zany, surreal universe of Ĉon Flux.

Trevor's Golden Gun
Trevor Goodchild, Ĉon's arch-nemesis and occasional lover, did a "Man with the Golden Gun" trick in the "A Last Time for Everything" episode. Trevor's golden cigarette case could transform into a gun through some memory metal and folding weapon technology. No details are ever given about the gun, but the muzzle diametre looks tiny, so I am guessing that it is a very small calibre weapon. Muzzle flash and smoke comes from the gun, when it is fired, so it is most likely a caseless weapon like Ĉon's dart gun from which smoke also issues, as I have just seen, so we can finally conclude that the dart gun is also a chemical slugthrower.

Trevor's cigarette case pistol, 3.5mm CL
Damage: 3d pi- Acc 1 Range: 180/2,000 Weight: 1.2/0.1 RoF: 3 Shots: 10+1 (3) ST: 7 Bulk: -1 Rcl: 2 Cost: 1000 LC: 2

Can be disguised as a cigarette case when not in use.

Last edited by Max Schreck; 02-13-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Max Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #15
DanHoward

Default Re: Science Fiction Film Weapons

My favourite fictional weapon was the razor sharp magnetic disc in Dark Angel. It would richochet around slicing up anyone in the way and was supposedly attracted to the "magnetic field of a human being".
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #16
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
My favourite fictional weapon was the razor sharp magnetic disc in Dark Angel. It would richochet around slicing up anyone in the way and was supposedly attracted to the "magnetic field of a human being".
Oh please! Isn't this just a high-tech idiot proof version of Xena's Chamrak??? :)
Now there's a weapon that demands skill from the user. Sometimes it's sharp enough to cut ropes and such or almost cleave enemies. Other times it can hit people in the face and simply knocj them out... :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #17
Max Schreck

Quote:
Then by all means, stat it up! This thread isn't just for me; it could be nice to have a whole collection of weapons from science fiction cinema, and considering that I've maybe seen 1% of SF films out there, I don't know all of them. Let's hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet
Oh please! Isn't this just a high-tech idiot proof version of Xena's Chamrak??? :)
Now there's a weapon that demands skill from the user. Sometimes it's sharp enough to cut ropes and such or almost cleave enemies. Other times it can hit people in the face and simply knocj them out... :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Tru dat about Xena! On another note, I hadn't intended this thread to be for Hard SF or even semi-plausible SF exclusively, so any bizarre superscience weapons people can dig up from films are welcome too.

Max

Last edited by Max Schreck; 02-13-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Max Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
Janos Dracwlya

Location: A Place You Only Dream Of, Where Your Soul Is Always Free
Default Re: Ĉon Flux (MTV animated show) weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schreck
Next up, we have some weapons from the MTV animated series, Ĉon Flux.

Monican Folding Machine Pistol

TL9 Folding Machine Pistol: FUG-1, 9×19mm
[
I could be mis-remembering - I didn't watch Aeon Flux very much and it's been a long time anyway - but I seem to recall being struck by the fact that the empty cartridge casings seemed to be bottle-necked, like the 7.62x25mm round used in the original Mauser C-96, the TT-30/33 Tokarev and CZ-52. But, like I said, I could be wrong.

On the Blade Runner gun, since I had read the book (back in 1983, I think), and the book described it as a .38 magnum, I modelled it as a semi-automatic firing what was basically a rimless .357 magnum round. One of the players in my 1986-87 Star Frontiers game was really into the movie - even named his character Nolan Gaff - and wanted one of the guns as a sidearm. It wasn't in the rules for the game, so I let him spend some money for a custom-built gun. It think I had it hold ten rounds.

"I like to think that you killed a man. It's the romantic in me."

Capt. Louis Renault
Janos Dracwlya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
Max Schreck

Default Re: Ĉon Flux (MTV animated show) weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos Dracwlya
I could be mis-remembering - I didn't watch Aeon Flux very much and it's been a long time anyway - but I seem to recall being struck by the fact that the empty cartridge casings seemed to be bottle-necked, like the 7.62x25mm round used in the original Mauser C-96, the TT-30/33 Tokarev and CZ-52. But, like I said, I could be wrong.
I don't think you are wrong about the bottle-neck, but it's hard to tell, when the cartridges come spewing out like that. However, in "Deviant Devices of Ĉon Flux", she states that the "FUG-1 fires the standard 9mm round", whatever "standard" means in this connection. As Ĉon Flux takes place far into the future and maybe not even on Earth, it is difficult to tell, but I took standard to mean the most well-known 9mm cartridge ever, the 9×19mm Parabellum. I guess we can't expect animators to know that the 9mm isn't bottle-necked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos Dracwlya
On the Blade Runner gun, since I had read the book (back in 1983, I think), and the book described it as a .38 magnum, I modelled it as a semi-automatic firing what was basically a rimless .357 magnum round.
Yeah, I chose to disregard the book, as the thread was for SF films, and in the book he mainly uses a "laser tube", and uses a .38 as back-up, as I also stated in the first post. The reason I chose .45 as the calibre was that the film prop is based on a .44 CA Bulldog, and I wanted the calibre to correspond somewhat to the muzzle size we see in the film. It is not canon, but in the computer game Blade Runner, a character states to the protagonist: "Is that a .45 blaster in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
So I went with .45, but as you can see I included two other versions of the gun, as no one can agree what it is. I chose to make it a revolver instead of a semi-automatic, as there is no magazine well on the gun anywhere, and because, again, the gun prop is based on a .44 Bulldog revolver. But considering Ridley Scott originally intended it to be a black hole ray gun, I suppose we can't extrapolate anything from the gun's appearance.

Cheers,

Max
Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Aww, they just ripped that off from I Come In Peace.

Edit: Wait, I thought you meant this Dark Angel. Ooops.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, science fiction, ultra-tech, weapons