Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #31
Randyman

Default Re: A dwarf by any other name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Go the Falkenstein route. Dwarves are all males, and make the Elves all the females* of the species.

* Not exactly the Falkenstein route, Dwarven women look like human women in Falkenstein.
Dwarves are the males, elven females are the females, elven "males" are the neuters. :)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #32
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Dwarves are the males, elven females are the females, elven "males" are the tomboys. :)
Fixed It For Me. ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #33
Randyman

Quote:
Fixed It For Me. ;)
I could have gone a lot of places with that, actually...

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #34
Ji ji

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
Dress is flamboyant, making use of any colour that isn't rocky in tone(they have enough rock as it is!).
In residential areas, it is likely they use all the existing shades of marbles, glass, polished metals and precious stone.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Fixed It For Me. ;)
Could easily say that transgenders are more common and accepted among them than humans.
It's simply incredibly rude to mention, so not necessarilly known by non elf-dwarf.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #36
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
In residential areas, it is likely they use all the existing shades of marbles, glass, polished metals and precious stone.
Dang Dwarven Mayors and Nobles with their build proclamations!

No, we don't have any adamant yet, stop demanding a desk made out of it!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:33 AM   #37
The Colonel

Quote:
Dang Dwarven Mayors and Nobles with their build proclamations!

No, we don't have any adamant yet, stop demanding a desk made out of it!
This is why the remote-flooding bedroom was invented. There is no reason at all for any fortress to develop an aristocracy.
The Colonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #38
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Fixed It For Me. ;)
Tomboy isn't a gender, but neuter is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Could easily say that transgenders are more common and accepted among them than humans.
Tomboy isn't transgender either, it's a descriptor of a biological female who enjoys some combination of stereotypically masculine things (like sports, guns, automobiles, or simply liking pants more than skirts). It's a broad enough term that it applies to "Bulldyke" lesbians, transgender women, warrior princesses, and my mom with roughly equal validity.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #39
Anders

How about a Red Dwarf?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #40
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
I love the idea that the dwarves (Who I've desided will get a brand new name to go along with their new identity, to erase any possible confusion) will be something like a very industrialised, idealised ancient greek society. They will be TL4 in a great many things, including engineering (but not weapon and armour making, they have had no need of it for generations) medicine, philosophy, all types of research, expert knowledge, ect. They are refined, well groomed, and fond of the great pleasures that industrialised life brings (when compared to life above the surface, a warm public bath is true luxury). Warriors are rare, and all of the real protection of their lands is done through carful trap engineering, cleverly disguised tunnels, and subtle diversion of threats.

The dwarves have accumuated massive stores of knowledge on every topic under (far under) the sun. They are zenophobic, because outsiders almost always look like barbarians, but they are curious enough to send out expeditions to explore the world. If ever mobilized for war, the dwarven factories could output a tremendous amount of weapons and armour, but a dwarvish war policy is far more likely to turn towards isolation than backing one or another waring nation.

In appearance, the race is short but well muscled. Facial hair, with the exception of an occasional well trimmed and waxed moustach, is unknown. Many of them are bald entirely. Dress is flamboyant, making use of any colour that isn't rocky in tone(they have enough rock as it is!). Clothing is usually impractical, and changes often to keep up with current trends. Jewlery is (at least currently) in fassion, and the amount of gold, silver, and gems you can fit on your body acts as a status symbol. The actual value of the items, however, is irrelivant. In a few years the trend might reverse, and minimalism may into fashion.
This is pretty spiffy, actually, and sheds a whole new light on Plato's Allegory of the Cave, especially if they're all convinced they have the best possible society, imaginable, and anybody who lives outside must struggle to survive in a backwards, howling wilderness.

You could also borrow an idea from Elizabeth Moon's The Legacy of Gird, and make them Gnomes with a legal system far in advance of everyone's, which (in turns) makes them a litigious people.

That creates the opportunity to make the two most terrifying experiences the PCs might face when visiting your "dwarf" analogues is either steam-punkish Terminators, or humorless, anal-retentive litigators. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brekhan, design, dwarf, elf, race