Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
shiverman

Default please help a noob

My friends and I are not new to the world of role playing but we are new to GURPS. Im looking to start an adventure in either WWII or some thing to do with undead/werewolfs things like that. my question is what books do i have to have to get myself and my players started?
shiverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Gavynn

Default Re: please help a noob

The Basic Set is all that is required to play GURPS. :)

Characters is going to tell you everything about character creation and Campaigns is going to tell you everything else about how to play.

Welcome to GURPS!

Last edited by Gavynn; 09-02-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

The Basic Set - that is, both Characters and Campaigns - are quite sufficient.

If you do wish further detail, or want to invest more money, there are several specific WW2 suplements available. For weird powers such as shapeshifting, you could have a look at Powers, but neither is strictly necessary as such.

If you have further questions on undead, shapeshifters and whatnot, feel free to ask away.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiverman
My friends and I are not new to the world of role playing but we are new to GURPS. Im looking to start an adventure in either WWII or some thing to do with undead/werewolfs things like that. my question is what books do i have to have to get myself and my players started?
The only things you NEED are the Basic Set (Characters and Campaigns). In addition, you may find the following useful...

The entire WWII series...written for 3e GURPS but the historical information, etc. (about 80%-90% of the books) is rules-neutral and even the rules-based stuff like weapons shouldn't prove too difficult to convert to 4e.

Start with the core book (World War II) and add whatever others suit your campaign, interests, etc.

(There are many threads on converting 3e material to 4e, by the way. Or, please, if you have a specific question or three--e.g., how do I convert THIS vehicle to 4e rules--just post it here on the forums. My experience has been that the people on the forums are friendly, patient, and helpful.)

WWII: Weird War II should prove especially helpful. Plus, it's just a cool, interesting read. World War II + Magic/Weird Science. How can you go wrong???

Since the WWII books are all 3e, you can get them at a reduced price at Warehouse 23.

Cliffhangers, which covers the 1920s and 1930s, may also be useful.

The various 3e books on supernatural stuff like Horror, Undead, Cabal, Shapeshifters, etc. have lots of good stuff in them.

For 4e books, besides the Basic Set...

For werewolves, fantasy monsters, etc., the new edition of GURPS Fantasy may prove useful.

Infinite Worlds includes some alternate Earths where Germany won World War II, so that might be useful, too.

Powers is sometimes called the third core book...it covers all kinds of powers and abilities, expanding on what's in the Basic Set and adding lots of new advantages, enhancements to existing advantages, etc.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiverman
The short answer is the ones that look interesting/useful to you. The 3rd edition Weird War II book for GURPS seems like a good fit for what you described.

But I'd focus on what sort of world has modern day Werewolves and undead in it. You might take a bit from this or that and tweak them around or slavishly follow your sources. But make your world interesting and enjoyable and you'll find your players will do a lot of your work for you.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Gef

Basic is all you need - but Powers shows you how to turn what you need into what you want.

I would recommend play your werewolf campaign first. The WWII game will be more complex and more deadly; players who want their characters to survive will need to be more fluent with the combat system.

[Average soldier has 11 HP, damage from a rifle (6d pi+) is in the neighborhood of 30 to an unarmored man. That's about 50% likely to kill him outright, and he'll bleed out anyway w/o trauma treatment, and a second bullet is sure to finish him off. 2 out of 3 infantrymen in WWII never came home, and GURPS models that just fine. I say it's more complex because, even though you don't have magic powers, you have long range combat, large scale combat, large vehicle combat, and the complexity of the setting itself.]

Think about what werewolves and undead can do, and what their weaknesses are, and build their racial templates. That will be an excellent exercise to start learning the system.

GEF

Last edited by Gef; 09-02-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
jspade

I'd give the opposite of Gef's advice. The WWII campaign promises to be much simpler to set up, and more support material exists, than the werewolf campaign. You need the Basic Set. For historical accuracy, you'll find the GURPS WWII sub-line useful, but remember it's for third edition. When it's released, High-Tech will also be extremely valuable. Combat is likely to be deadly, as pointed out, if you fight at close quarters with D&D tactics; I suggest you make sure all your player characters have Luck unless you're planning on a dark atmosphere.

I can't recommend anything for playing werewolves, really; GURPS Werewolf is a conversion of the White Wolf game to GURPS, and I have a low opinion of the World of Darkness in the first place. GURPS Shapeshifters might be helpful, but, for a first GURPS game I'd skip it and just go with the Basic Set. I can point you to my own take on werewolves from a previous Cabal game.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc
On Notice

I think WWII w/ Werewolf PCs together is a fine idea for a first campaign, assuming all your players will be interested in those two subjects. I even think it would play out better with "Classic Horror" werewolves than with a Werewolf: the Apocalypse setting conversion. The PCs can easily fit the powers into a normal point value for a cinematic game, but with Regeneration (Regular; Not vs Silver) on the Human form instead of the Wolf form. That way, they can play out normal GURPS combat, see how fast a rifle wound takes one of them down, and grow to appreciate non-D&D tactics, but the victim is back on his feet the next day. The Army supports this by putting them in their own Special Forces unit, with a squad of handlers to make sure they don't run amok in the wrong place every Full Moon. The GM supports this by drawing up a house werewolf template that does exactly what you want and letting them build their own human stats to avoid confusion.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
dynaman

The WWII core book includes all the rules needed to play WWII. It contains a version of GURPS lite (3E).

I would suggest picking up that book and running a few adventures to see how you like it, then expend out from there.
dynaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Woodman

Im not sure if it is a wise decission to try 3E lite at first, that might confuse new players trying a new system and then change quite some rules shortly after that. And lite would make the use of werewolves quite hard as it lacks the needed advantages where the 4E Basic Set has all you will really need appart from the historical backround.

Like others said before you might try to take one thing after the other, let your players start out as normal soldiers and get transformed into werewolves in play, just giving them a certain set of advantages and disadvantages after you all are familliar with the basics.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote