Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #11
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Additional Iron Mountain scenarios?

None taken! I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want "I don't like X because Y" responses...that whole "think out loud, people I respect whacking me with a rolled-up newspaper when I go too far" thing is why I post bright ideas like this one instead of squirreling them away in a Google Doc titled 'half-baked ideas never to see the light of day'.

It's the "it's too complicated" angle that I'm hung up on. I'm not offended or defensive, I'm confused.

I don't see "Infantry delayed, all others prohibited" (proposed cliff) as being outside the spectrum of "no effect" (clear) to "Ground Effect / Light Track units delayed, Wheel prohibited, all others unaffected" (stream).

I don't see "Infantry slowed, all others prohibited, +1D, cannot fire over" (proposed mountain) as being outside the spectrum of "no unit may enter" (crater) to "Disable chance for Ground Effect, all vehicles slowed, infantry unaffected. Infantry 3x D, all other 2x D, lasers cannot fire over" (town).

With those as my context, I'm struggling to process objecting on grounds of "it's too complicated"...I'm missing something. You see something I don't, I've spent all day trying to think of what it is, I can't, and I trust your opinion enough that not getting it bothers the [fnord] out of me.

Unless with "too complicated" you're specifically referring to the terrain destruction component, which...yes, that could use refinement, but on the whole terrain destruction is messy, slows the game down with additional rolls and bookkeeping, isn't something most players will commit to memory, and is the reason that entire subset of rules is optional. [on that note: I had the timing wrong; all other destruction-in-overrun effects happen after the overrun, and that should too to keep everything consistent].

Objecting on grounds of "Something different was established 40 years ago, and you're risking a constant stream of '[FNORD], we forgot that again!' moments from the guys who have been playing it differently all this time"...that's a solid point. I can't help but doubt if it warrants completely shutting the discussion down, because there's no way Richard could have considered the way it'd interplay with anything but Clear, Crater, and Ridge because at the time Iron Mountain was published nothing else existed...Iron Mountain predates even GEV...but it's a solid point.

And even if it does never go further than the realm of "Totally Unofficial Ogrezine Article"? Doesn't mean I won't need trusted voices helping to refine it, filing off the burrs of 'gotcha', etc.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote