Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
jabba
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Insubstantiality/ invisible

If i am insubstantial and invisible can i be detected by IR vision or other such detecting devises without having the invisible to machines enhancement to my invisibility
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Diomedes
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba View Post
If i am insubstantial and invisible can i be detected by IR vision or other such detecting devises without having the invisible to machines enhancement to my invisibility
Invisibility will not make you invisible to the device, only to the person. So: it works against a pair of IR goggles, but not a camera.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
jabba
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Invisibility will not make you invisible to the device, only to the person. So: it works against a pair of IR goggles, but not a camera.
that dont add up.the goggles are a device
and what about the insubstantiality

Last edited by jabba; 01-25-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Not enough info
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

For most uses of Invisibility you should include Affects Machines. The fact that the other way is the default is really just a weird 3e legacy.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Diomedes
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba View Post
that dont add up.the goggles are a device
Yes, but they don't create their own picture. If the device helps you see, then base Invisibility works. If it sees, and tells you where it is, then it falls under the "not against machines" exception.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba View Post
that dont add up.the goggles are a device
and what about the insubstantiality
Without "invisibility to machines" it is the optic nerves that are being deceived. The goggles do see you, but you can't see what the goggles are showing you. Insubstantiality doesn't matter.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Without "invisibility to machines" it is the optic nerves that are being deceived. The goggles do see you, but you can't see what the goggles are showing you. Insubstantiality doesn't matter.
That's the way I understand it, too, but since the goggles essentially put the image on little screens in front of your eyes, it does raise the question whether even if cameras pick you up, the security guard sitting at the monitor sees you onscreen or if it's only automatic systems that will react to you.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
That's the way I understand it, too, but since the goggles essentially put the image on little screens in front of your eyes, it does raise the question whether even if cameras pick you up, the security guard sitting at the monitor sees you onscreen or if it's only automatic systems that will react to you.
No the thing is Goggle don't 'store' the image, they just adjues the wave lengths. Same thing with most optical telescopes.

A camera will store the image, and you see the Stored image NOT the invisible person, the's the difference.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No the thing is Goggle don't 'store' the image, they just adjues the wave lengths. Same thing with most optical telescopes.

A camera will store the image, and you see the Stored image NOT the invisible person, the's the difference.
And if it's a live monitor, not recorded?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Insubstantiality/ invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
And if it's a live monitor, not recorded?
Unless it's really a optical telescope, you are still looking at a recorded image. That fact the it only record to short term memory not long would not matter to my ruling.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
detection, insubstantiality, invisible

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.