Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-02-2020, 02:02 AM   #1
HobbsGoblin

Default Pathfinder: Monster Questions

Hello, I've been playing for awhile but went back into the rules and have a couple of questions I have not seen answers to previously. I own Munchkin Pathfinder with a few expansions , , we love the game it is our go to.
The main one is this, if you are playing with a total of three people and player one is in combat with the other two attempting to stop her.
Player two has a wondering monster card but no monster, player three has a monster, so can they lay them down separately to add a monster to the fight?

Fifth Question
If there is a level 2 monster and someone places a negative 5 to monster on it (like plague stricken). Does that end that combat (assuming he was the only monster)?
Also does this Kill or merely defeat the monster?

Sixth question
On that note, if it does kill the monster because his health went negative does that mean you could quick draw that card on yourself to win by "killing" the monster before other players can change it?

Question Seven
So my friend kicked down the door to a low level monster, I then play the card "+5 to monster OR Goblinizes it", I choose to Goblinize it, however before I lay down my second card the Goblin, he lays down Gobstoppped which stops anyone from laying down a goblin by using the Goblin rule.
Is that legal even though I was obviously in the middle of a laydown?

Question Eight
Like monsters attract like monsters, goblins golions, undead undead and dragons dragons.
The Treerazor monster does not have the subtitle of Dragon, but it is obviously a dragon. Should we still be able to lay it down on other dragons without a wandering Monster card?

Question 9
Combat, two monsters involved, a +5 to monster is played, the player in combat dismisses a monster but first asks which monster the +5 is on. Here is my question, does the dismissal also dismiss the +5 to monster, is the +5 ties to a specific monster or just the monsters side and so when a dismissal happens the +5 remains in play?

Sorry if any of these a spelled out in the rules, I have read through them a few times and can infer the answer specifically to my last question but having a definite answer helps alot.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond!

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 02-03-2020 at 11:46 AM.
HobbsGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Pathfinder: Monster Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbsGoblin View Post
The main one is this, if you are playing with a total of three people and player one is in combat with the other two attempting to stop her.
Player two has a wondering monster card but no monster, player three has a monster, so can they lay them down separately to add a monster to the fight?
No. Both cards have to come from the same hand.

Quote:
If there is a level 2 monster and someone places a negative 5 to monster on it (like plague stricken). Does that end that combat (assuming he was the only monster)?
Also does this Kill or merely defeat the monster?
The monster is still in the fight with a negative combat strength. Other cards can be played on it to raise the combat strength (or lower the munchkins').

Quote:
So my friend kicked down the door to a low level monster, I then play the card "+5 to monster OR Goblinizes it", I choose to Goblinize it, however before I lay down my second card the Goblin, he lays down Gobstoppped which stops anyone from laying down a goblin by using the Goblin rule.
Is that legal even though I was obviously in the middle of a laydown?
Yup, totally legal. And smart.

Quote:
The Treerazor monster does not have the subtitle of Dragon, but it is obviously a dragon. Should we still be able to lay it down on other dragons without a wandering Monster card?
Munchkin Pathfinder came out before Munchkin Dragons, so we hadn't yet codified the Dragon rule. That said, Treerazer canonically is a demon, not a dragon, so he doesn't get to use the Dragon rule regardless.

Quote:
Combat, two monsters involved, a +5 to monster is played, the player in combat dismisses a monster but first asks which monster the +5 is on. Here is my question, does the dismissal also dismiss the +5 to monster, is the +5 ties to a specific monster or just the monsters side and so when a dismissal happens the +5 remains in play?
Monster enhancers are tied to specific monsters. If the monster is removed, its enhancers go with it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
HobbsGoblin

Follow up to Question Three

Can I legally lay down the Goblinizes card and a goblin together?
I will tell him he was smart hah.

Thank you so much for answering my questions Andrew, really appreciate it! You put so much work into keeping this community alive and that's what makes it cool.

Also, I didn't see an answer to question two about Double Life and Super Munchkin?
HobbsGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Can I legally lay down the Goblinizes card and a goblin together?
No. You can't play the Goblinizer on a Goblin and you can't play two unrelated cards simultaneously.

Quote:
Also, I didn't see an answer to question two about Double Life and Super Munchkin?
Moved to (and answered in) a separate thread.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote