Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #41
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Supers] Malice - A low-powered supers setting

Here's that new sheet I mentioned - Noctis, of the Meteor Squad.

Noctis

Secret Identity: Yes
Costume: Black body armor and helmet, black cloak
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 160 lb
Sex: Male
Race: White
Hair: Shoulder-length black
Eyes: Grey
Powers: Generation of a darkness field, night vision

Andrew Cross enlisted in the US Army right out of high school. He didn’t dislike his time in the army, but he didn’t find it fulfilling enough to make a career out of it. When he got home a few years ago, he briefly flirted with the idea of joining law enforcement before eventually deciding to go to college. He quickly discovered that wasn’t for him either. Six months ago, he discovered his new darkness powers. When he read about a new powered spec ops team being assembled, he volunteered. Since then, he’s effectively become the leader of the Meteor Squad.

Attributes: ST 10 [0], DX 12 [40], IQ 13 [60], HT 12 [20]

Secondary Attributes: Dam 1d-2/1d, BL 20 lb, HP 10 [0], Will 13 [0], Per 13 [0], FP 12 [0], Basic Speed 6.00 [0], Basic Move 6 [0]

Advantages: Attractive [4], Charisma 2 [10], Combat Reflexes [15], Dark Vision (Super, -10%) [23], Eidetic Memory [5], Fit [5], Less Sleep 3 [6], Obscure (Vision) 10 (Area Effect 64 yd, +250%, Affected by Night Vision and Dark Vision, -5%, Super, -10%) [67], Protected Vision (Super, -10%) [5]

Perks: Cloaked [1]

Disadvantages: Chummy [-5], Duty (USEST-A1, 9 or less, Extremely Hazardous) [-10], Guilt Complex [-5], Honesty (12) [-10], Insomniac (Mild) [-10], Secret Identity [-5], Sense of Duty (Team) [-5]

Quirks: Careful [-1], Dislikes crowds [-1], Doesn’t like to tell outright lies [-1], Minor Addiction (Caffeine) [-1], Proud [-1]

Skills: Acrobatics-10 [1], Acting-12 [1], Area Knowledge (Columbia)-13 [1], Area Knowledge (USA)-13 [1], Brawling-14 [4], Cloak-12 [2], Computer Operation/TL8-13 [1], Criminology-12 [1], Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News)-13 [1], Detect Lies-12 [2], Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle)-12 [2], Fast-Talk-12 [1], First Aid/TL8-12 [1], Guns/TL8 (Rifle)-14 [4], Hobby Skill (Movies)-13 [1], Intelligence Analysis/TL8-11 [1], Knife-12 [1], Leadership-15 [2], Observation-12 [1], Public Speaking-14 [1], Running-11 [1], Savoir-Faire (Military)-13 [1], Shadowing-12 [1], Soldier/TL8-13 [2], Stealth-13 [4], Swimming-12 [1], Tactics-12 [2], Wrestling-12 [2]

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 09-26-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Changed Guns skill to Rifle
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:50 AM   #42
Aldric

Is that obscure 10 on Noctis? The numbers add up, but I would still record it just in case
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:25 AM   #43
AlexanderHowl

Hm, why don't any of these characters have Power Talents? Without them, they cannot really develop further abilities, nor can they effectively use stunts like combining powers.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #44
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Jumping back in with Meteor Squad member #3

Ursa
It sounds like you are going for the classic "were" ? I would try to work in Unkillable 1 by throwing on a "bane" of silver or fire for both Unkillable and Regeneration so she doesn't have to worry about dying until she's taken a lot of damage.

Even with 2 HP/sec, she's going to end up negative with a lot of health checks fast in a serious fight.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #45
naloth

Quote:
Here's that new sheet I mentioned - Noctis, of the Meteor Squad.

Noctis

<snip>

Skills: Acrobatics-10 [1], Acting-12 [1], Area Knowledge (Columbia)-13 [1], Area Knowledge (USA)-13 [1], Brawling-14 [4], Cloak-12 [2], Computer Operation/TL8-13 [1], Criminology-12 [1], Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News)-13 [1], Detect Lies-12 [2], Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle)-12 [2], Fast-Talk-12 [1], First Aid/TL8-12 [1], Guns/TL8 (Pistol)-14 [4], Hobby Skill (Movies)-13 [1], Intelligence Analysis/TL8-11 [1], Knife-12 [1], Leadership-15 [2], Observation-12 [1], Public Speaking-14 [1], Running-11 [1], Savoir-Faire (Military)-13 [1], Shadowing-12 [1], Soldier/TL8-13 [2], Stealth-13 [4], Swimming-12 [1], Tactics-12 [2], Wrestling-12 [2]
I like using wildcard! skills to simplify especially with background skills. Soldier! might be worth considering.

Pistol may suit your campaign but rifle would fit nicely with his military experience. Perhaps make his primary skill more assault rifle/sniper type with pistol as a backup? Fast Draw (Pistol) or FD (Knife) would also help.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #46
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Is that obscure 10 on Noctis? The numbers add up, but I would still record it just in case
Yeah, that was a typo. Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Hm, why don't any of these characters have Power Talents? Without them, they cannot really develop further abilities, nor can they effectively use stunts like combining powers.
Three reasons:
1) I don't fully understand how power talents and power stunts work yet.
2) From what I do understand, they haven't really been necessary for any of the characters I've posted.
3) Keep in mind, no super in this entire setting has even a year's worth of experience. It makes sense that they wouldn't be too developed in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
It sounds like you are going for the classic "were" ? I would try to work in Unkillable 1 by throwing on a "bane" of silver or fire for both Unkillable and Regeneration so she doesn't have to worry about dying until she's taken a lot of damage.

Even with 2 HP/sec, she's going to end up negative with a lot of health checks fast in a serious fight.
I thought about that too, but I really had to squeeze every point out of it and I don't know what advantages I could remove or disadvantages I could add that would free up enough space without being near-crippling.

Quote:
I like using wildcard! skills to simplify especially with background skills. Soldier! might be worth considering.

Pistol may suit your campaign but rifle would fit nicely with his military experience. Perhaps make his primary skill more assault rifle/sniper type with pistol as a backup? Fast Draw (Pistol) or FD (Knife) would also help.
I tend to shy away from wildcard skills, but in this case, it's not cost-effective anyway. Looking at Ten-Hut! (The closest thing to Soldier! I could find in Power Ups 7), he only has 9 points in the skills it would cover.

The gun skill part makes sense. I'll think about changing that.

I've got another character ready to post right now.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #47
awesomenessofme1

Another member of Meteor Squad. That's five out of six.

Blue Dragon

Secret Identity: Yes
Costume: Chrome-blue suit of powered armor, stylized to look like a dragon
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 180 lb
Sex: Male
Race: White
Hair: Brown, cut short
Eyes: Green
Powers: None

About eight months ago, after staying awake for 86 hours straight and drinking an entire pot of coffee, engineer Stephen Morgan sketched out a design for a revolutionary new energy generation system. When he woke up the next day, he tried to build it, but found that it had major issues that prevented scaling it up. However, the microreactor was uniquely suited to serve as the power source for a suit of powered armor. Morgan created an armor suit he called the Blue Dragon. While trying to work out his system’s bugs, he became a hero. Two months ago, he was recruited into Meteor Squad.

Attributes: ST 10 (22, 30) [0], DX 11 (13) [20], IQ 14 [80], HT 11 [10]

Secondary Attributes: Dam 1d-2/1d (2d/4d, 3d/5d+2), BL 20 lb (97 lb, 180 lb), HP 10 [0], Will 13 [-5], Per 12 [-10], FP 10 [-3], Basic Speed 5.50 (6.00) [0], Basic Move 5 (6) [0]

Advantages: Absolute Direction (Requires signal, -20%, Armor¹, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [2], Air Move +3 (Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [3], Attractive [4], Aquatic Mode² (Alternative Ability, x1/5) [4], Burning Attack 6d (Accurate 3, +15%, Increased 1/2D x5, +10%, Side Effect (Stunning), +50%, Surge, +20%, Reduced Range x1/5, -20%, Takes Extra Time 1, -10%, Takes Recharge (5s), -10%, Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%, Primary Alternative Ability) [30], DR 25 (Can’t wear armor, -40%, Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [25], DX+2 (Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [18], Enhanced Move (Air, Move 120) (Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%, Alternative Ability, x1/5) [6], External ST +12 (Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [44], External ST +8 (Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%, Alternative Ability, x1/5) [6], Flight (Cannot Hover, -15%, Nuisance Effect (Hot exhaust), -5%, Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [10], Intuitive Mathematician [5], Natural Weapon (Cutting, Armor Divisor (5), +250%, Extra Damage Type (Large Piercing), +20%, Extra Reach (1, Can switch between C and 1), +30%, Increased Damage +2, +60%, Resilient (Unbreakable), +40%, Switchable, +10%, Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%, Alternative Ability, x1/5) [5], Status 1 [0], Wealthy [20]

Disadvantages: Bad Temper (12) [-10], Curious (12) [-5], Dependent (Son, Built on 0 or less, 6 or less, Loved one) [-15], Dependent (Wife, built on 50% or less, 6 or less, Loved one) [-5], Duty (USEST-A1, 9 or less, Extremely Hazardous) [-10], Enemy (????, 6 or less, Hunter, Unknown) [-12], Overconfidence (12) [-5], Secret Identity [-5], Stubbornness [-5]

Quirks: Alcohol Intolerance [-1], Congenial [-1], Hates being corrected [-1], Imaginative [-1], Makes bets with teammates [-1]

Skills: Acting-13 [1], Administration-13 [1], Aerobatics-10 (12) [2], Area Knowledge ()-14 [1], Armoury (Battlesuits)-14 [2], Brawling-13 (15) [4], Carousing-11 [1], Chemistry/TL8-13 [2], Computer Operation/TL8-15 [2], Computer Programming-12 [1], Current Affairs (Science & Technology)-14 [1], Detect Lies-11 [2], Driving/TL8 (Automobile)-12 [1], Electrician/TL8-14 [2], Engineer/TL8 (Battlesuit)-14 [4], Engineer/TL8 (Electrical)-13 [2], Engineering (Electronics)-13 [2], Engineer (Materials)-12 [1], Finance-12 [1], Flight-12 [4], Innate Attack (Breath)-13 (15) [4], Mathematics/TL8 (Applied)-13 [2], Navigation/TL8 (Air)-16 [1], Physics-11 [1], Research/TL8-14 [2], Swimming-11 [1], Weird Science-13 [4], Wrestling-10 (12) [1]

1: Gadget (Breakable (DR 25, SM0, Machine), Can be stolen (Must be forcefully removed)), -45%
2: Discriminatory Hearing (Only underwater, -30%, Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [3], Doesn’t Breathe (Gills, -50%, Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [4], Pressure Support 2 (Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [5], Sealed (Armor, -45%, Superscience, -10%) [7]

Blue Dragon has a uniquely clunky stat block among the sheets I’ve posted, so here’s a summary of his advantages:

Personal
Attractive
Intuitive Mathematician
Status 1
Wealthy

Suit
Absolute Direction
DR 25
DX +2
External ST +12
Flight (Base Air Move 15)

Turbocharge (AA)
Aquatic Mode (Discriminatory Hearing, Doesn’t Breathe, Pressure Support 2, Sealed)
Burning Attack (6d burn sur, Acc 6, Range 10/20, Side Effect (Stunning), takes 1 Ready action before attack, 5 seconds to recharge)
Enhanced Air Move 3 (Move 120)
External ST+8
Natural Weapon (3d(5) pi+ or cut, Reach C,1)

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 09-25-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #48
naloth

Quote:
Another member of Meteor Squad. That's five out of six.

Blue Dragon

DR 25 (Can’t wear armor, -40%, Armor, -15%, Superscience, -10%) [25]
It looks like you have a typo for for the Armor limitation here.

If you are doing your own write-ups (rather than using GCA or some other program), I find it cleans up the presentation quite a bit by separating out gadgets into a different block so you can easily tell what goes with the gadget and which advantages are kept while not using the gadget.

Aquatic mode isn't quite how AAs should work. If that's a house rule you are using, that's perfectly valid. Otherwise, you can only have 1 advantage of an AA ability active at one time rather the swapping out a big one for lots of small ones.

Last edited by naloth; 09-25-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #49
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
It looks like you have a typo for for the Armor limitation here.

If you are doing your own write-ups (rather than using GCA or some other program), I find it cleans up the presentation quite a bit by separating out gadgets into a different block so you can easily tell what goes with the gadget and which advantages are kept while not using the gadget.

Aquatic mode isn't quite how AAs should work. If that's a house rule you are using, that's perfectly valid. Otherwise, you can only have 1 advantage of an AA ability active at one time rather the swapping out a big one for lots of small ones.
Yeah, typo. Thanks.

I kind of did that here, with the advantages summary, but your way might work better. There's no way to export GCS files as text, is there?

I asked about using a meta-trait as part of an AA on here and got mostly positive results. I think it's a borderline case in RAW, but just call it a house rule if necessary.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #50
naloth

Quote:
I kind of did that here, with the advantages summary, but your way might work better. There's no way to export GCS files as text, is there?
I used to do it in GCA, but I have no idea about GCS.

Quote:
I asked about using a meta-trait as part of an AA on here and got mostly positive results. I think it's a borderline case in RAW, but just call it a house rule if necessary.
As a GM, I'd look to see if it was done to bypass a rule or just save points especially it if is a specialized trait that only one character can benefit from.

Tags
supers