Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
dgrm4

Default Loud GM?

I am running a Near-Future Apocalypse campaign as the GURPS GM. Something I recently did in the last two games was roleplay the NPCs in a much louder tone/voice. And what I have noticed is suddenly all of the players at the table seem to be much more interested or "entertained" by what I am saying and also by my somewhat over the top acting.

They also are much quicker to get ****** off when they here me say in a loud voice as an NPC directly to their PC "Get out of here you little girl, this section is for the men, the womens section is everywhere but HERE!". Next thing you know, that player is trying to convince eveyone at the game table to let him kill the NPC. It is hilarious! Lots of ummmm..adult words are used when they get ****** off!

Any other GMs notice this? Any tips for getting people more into the ROLE PLAYING aspect of GURPS (Or any system for that matter)?
dgrm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
ClayDowling

Default Re: Loud GM?

Reward them for getting involved with the game world. Give them good story diversions, special scenes, for their involvement. Not every player responds to that, but many of them will.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
zoncxs

keep doing what your are doing, more "role" play and less "roll" play makes it always better. if a NPC is in an emotional state, rather than saying he is sad act it out. like your example, the more "loud" the GM the more interactive the players. hell, even have the players reactions play a role. angry npc yells at the pc and the player doesn't do anything? well the NPC just grew an even bigger pair and probably yells some more. even the the player his asking everyone else if he can kill him his PC is just standing there lol
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrm4 View Post
I am running a Near-Future Apocalypse campaign as the GURPS GM. Something I recently did in the last two games was roleplay the NPCs in a much louder tone/voice.
I hope you're using proper voice projection technique for the extra volume, because it's really bad for your vocal cords otherwise.

Quote:
And what I have noticed is suddenly all of the players at the table seem to be much more interested or "entertained" by what I am saying and also by my somewhat over the top acting.
Loud is always more engaging. This is why movie theaters are so loud. It's not just to drown out the sound of popcorn chewing.

Generally, most RPG players are not actors, and they can be a bit shy about getting into their role. If you're setting an example with your performance, it will encourage them to match it.

Quote:
Any other GMs notice this? Any tips for getting people more into the ROLE PLAYING aspect of GURPS (Or any system for that matter)?
Rewards help. These could be extra CP given at the end of a session, as a "good RP" award, or as ClayDowling suggests, let the roleplayers get more spotlight time and new opportunities when the NPCs respond to them more. You can also give bonuses to e.g. social skill rolls when someone convincingly roleplays their skill use attempt, although this is somewhat controversial.

Keep in mind that not everyone is comfortable with performing, and they may roleplay well in other ways. Some people play their disads really well, even if they don't act them out. Some people like to write post-session diaries or long personal histories for their characters (which you can then mine for story hooks).
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
Rewards help. These could be extra CP given at the end of a session, as a "good RP" award, or as ClayDowling suggests, let the roleplayers get more spotlight time and new opportunities when the NPCs respond to them more. You can also give bonuses to e.g. social skill rolls when someone convincingly roleplays their skill use attempt, although this is somewhat controversial.
you could always give them a cookie. Literally. Keep a plate of Mrs Field's white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies (the 1" kind, not the ginormous kind) and dole them out as a reward for particularly effective and/or amusing roleplaying.

I mean, I'd play in character all frackin' day for a few of those cookies. :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
ClayDowling

Man, that would totally fail in our group. The wife of one of our players, and the sister of another (same woman, two relatives in the group) bakes all the time. And her cookies are way better than Mrs. Fields.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
dgrm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
you could always give them a cookie. Literally. Keep a plate of Mrs Field's white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies (the 1" kind, not the ginormous kind) and dole them out as a reward for particularly effective and/or amusing roleplaying.

I mean, I'd play in character all frackin' day for a few of those cookies. :-)
You know what...this or a similar reward just may WORK!
For each time you roleplay in character you get 1 CP. I could do this for the newbies until they are 100% comfortable, then we can move on (or maybe not).

I know that once you are role playing your character and having a silly-but-helluva-goodtime you are completely and utterly hooked! You now have a piece of that character in you and vice versa.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
dgrm4

Quote:
For each time you roleplay in character you get 1 CP. I could do this for the newbies until they are 100% comfortable, then we can move on (or maybe not).
I think someone else mentioned this in the thread about experience/character points a while back.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
dgrm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
I hope you're using proper voice projection technique for the extra volume, because it's really bad for your vocal cords otherwise.
Really? How do I learn proper projection technique?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Really? How do I learn proper projection technique?
Take some singing lessons.

Lacking time for that, the Wikipedia and eHow articles on voice projection give a couple of basic tips.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote