Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
Culture20

Default Re: Maximizing Throwing

If you’re throwing stuff larger than an atlatl “dart”, then an ally or animal to hold a quiver of javelins or a few extra spears, axes, etc. would be useful.
If you’re super strong and throwing cannonballs like shot-put, then a vehicle for your ammo?
Also perhaps check the rules for dropping in case you’re ever on a battlement or otherwise above an opponent.
The best option for throwing is some sort of returning enchantment like Mjolnir, or Snatcher (one weapon only with reduced time), quick draw, and throw the weapons as you toss them.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
The best option for throwing is some sort of returning enchantment like Mjolnir, or Snatcher (one weapon only with reduced time), quick draw, and throw the weapons as you toss them.
Or a Cornucopia 'Quiver'.

My Ogre Barbarian has one for her 5 pound rocks.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #13
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Or a Cornucopia 'Quiver'.

My Ogre Barbarian has one for her 5 pound rocks.
That is beautiful. I can just imagine the gleeful cackles from the ogre witch doctor who came up with that item!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_Corey View Post
That's "Heroic Thrower" in Pyramid 3/89 "Alternate Dungeons II", page 18.

The most powerful (in my opinion) option it gives is the amount of stuff you can throw every turn. With Weapon Master and high Fast-Draw skill, you can throw 6 shuriken (or knives, or whatever) per turn, at a mere -3 to skill. Now that's a lot of dice to roll! (and a lot of critical successes and failures, most likely)
I just bought the issue based on this. I've been looking for a way to provide alternate scout options. This might be the ticket.

Has anyone who used this option encountered any problems worth sharing?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #15
Stelknecht

I can't say I have, but I bought the same issue, for the same reason. Seems like it would be possible for a skilled thrower to swamp defenses, although that's actually a nice niche; scout can't do that very well, nor the melee types, although a swashy with an extra attack might be close. Hurling several darts per second might be fun, except if you run up against a monster with more than 8 DR or so.

I still wonder if throwing weapons can be made to have the specialty tips of arrows; bodkin, frog-crotch, etc. That'd diversify your damage output a little and perhaps allow you to compete somewhat evenly with a vanilla bow scout.
Stelknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #16
Donny Brook

I just had an idea of using Afflict (Warp) to extend your throwing range by teleporting an object in flight closer to your target.

I suppose the Warp part of the build would have to be usable instantly, and could be limited to just things you have just thrown. I can't remember what the ruling is on whether teleported things retain velocity by default, but mods may be required to include that.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #17
Toptomcat

That sounds less like Warp and more like some other kind of thing, depending on exactly what you were planning on doing with it- extending range, bypassing or complicating defenses, teleporting them directly into the target, pulling off Portal-style gravity/momentum/orientation schenanigans for extra velocity..
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote