Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #31
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Control vs Telekinesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
What in the world? You mean I can spend 70 points on 20 levels of Attraction/Repulsion TK, and when the time comes for me to dramatically clear the area around me by shoving things with overwhelming force (one at a time, of course, unless I buy Area Effect), I can't even knock over a bookshelf? Not even a lamp? That's it, I'm pretending that whole paragraph in Powers doesn't exist.
Reading the entire paragraph comes to the conclusion that the only manipulation of objects you can do is to push or pull them in a straight line. So, you could knock a bookshelf over, but, only directly towards you or directly away from you; no knocking one over at a 90° angle!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #32
Anaraxes

I think you're using a different definition for "manipulate objects". Attraction/Repulsion could certain knock over a bookcase, if moving it directly toward or away from you would accomplish that end. But that kind of TK couldn't turn it upside down, or leaf through the pages in one of the books, or reshelve them. The limitation is meant to model magnetic/gravity/etc fields and tractor beams and such. (Of course, there's quite a lot of fictional tractor beams that _don't_ have the A/R limitation...)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
... I can't even knock over a bookshelf? Not even a lamp?
I'm not sure where you get that idea? That's not "manipulation" that's for sure.

I wouldn't let you use Repulsion to say "I'm 'pulling' the cord on the lamp to turn it on", that's pretty cheesy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #34
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm not sure where you get that idea? That's not "manipulation" that's for sure.

I wouldn't let you use Repulsion to say "I'm 'pulling' the cord on the lamp to turn it on", that's pretty cheesy.
But I would let you pull the cord to unplug it.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #35
Phantasm

For benders, I'd consider using the Aerokinesis and Hydrokinesis Perks from Psionic Powers. Aerokinesis lets you use TK to manipulate air directly, while Hydrokinesis lets your TK manipulate water.

It's a fine line, I think, as to which is the better method for fine control. Can both TK with Aerokinesis and Control Air form a cloud of smoke into the likeness of someone's face?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #36
theotherscott

Aerokinesis lets you throw a brief breeze, iirc, not full on control air.

If anyone is keeping track, here's what I have come up with for basic bending:

Firebending

Create Fire [13]
Create (Fire) 1 [10] +30% (Reduced FP cost 2 +40%; Bending -10%)

Cantrips (Firebending) [10]
Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) 1 [10] +0% (Physical Only +50%; Limited, fire, perks -40%; Bending -10%

Airbending

Move Air [3/lvl]
Telekinesis [5/lvl] -40% (No fine manipulation -20%; Low visibility (scattering winds) -10%; Bending -10%

Cantrips (Airbending) [10]

Waterbending

Move Water [2.5/lvl]
Telekinesis [5/lvl] -50% (Specific, water -40%; Bending -10%)

Freeze Water 1 [4]
Create (Ice) 1 [5] -20% (Transmute Water - > Ice +50%; Transmute Only -100%; Ranged +40%; Bending -10%)

Melt Ice 1 [4]
Create (Liquid Water) 1 [5] -20% (Transmute Ice - > Water +50%; Transmute Only -100%; Ranged +40%; Bending -10%)

Cantrips (Waterbending) [10]

Earthbending

Move Earth [2.5/lvl]
Telekinesis [5/lvl] -50% (Specific, earth -40%; Bending -10%)

Cantrips (Earthbending) [10]

"Cantrips" covers any minor 1-point worth abilities that PCs can think of (eg sure-footed, earth chair, illuminate, lighter, vacuum, hydrokinesis, aerokinesis). More complicated abilities will be covered by Innate Attack or other advantages.

Last edited by theotherscott; 12-03-2014 at 11:41 AM.
theotherscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #37
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherscott View Post
I actually considered Modular Abilities, but I wasn't sure what limitations would apply. Stating it would be:

Modular Abilities (Cosmic power) [10/lvl] Physical Only +50%, Specific, earthbending -???%

This gets me thinking though: buying 1-point worth of modular abilities may be enough to let players use bending "perks". E.g. a waterbender can use her/his modular abilities to get "Always Dry [1]" and an earthbender can get "Sure Footed [1]" Similar minor effects can probably be stated as perks at 1 or 2 points.
The Cosmic Modular Ability version has long struck me as painfully expensive. I think you could get most of the same, perhaps all of the same, from a stack of Alernate Abilities.

But yes, Modular Ability might work well for Perks. Just try to avoid using the Cosmic version of Modular Ability, if you can. That's the painfully expensive version of MA.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #38
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
The Cosmic Modular Ability version has long struck me as painfully expensive. I think you could get most of the same, perhaps all of the same, from a stack of Alernate Abilities.

But yes, Modular Ability might work well for Perks. Just try to avoid using the Cosmic version of Modular Ability, if you can. That's the painfully expensive version of MA.
Cosmic MA requires somebody with a good imagination, and a tendency to think on the fly. So yeah, it's usually better to go with a cheaper MA, or just stack up the AAs.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #39
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherscott View Post
Is it possible to add NFM to TK? What would it be worth, limitation wise?
I don't see anything wrong with NFM on TK, but it seems odd that it's not in any of the official supplements. I'd have expected it to be either in GURPS Powers or in GURPS Psionic Powers. So maybe there's a reason it's not officially approved of, although offhand I can't see what that reason might be. It sounds like a very sensible Limitation to me.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #40
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I don't see anything wrong with NFM on TK, but it seems odd that it's not in any of the official supplements. I'd have expected it to be either in GURPS Powers or in GURPS Psionic Powers. So maybe there's a reason it's not officially approved of, although offhand I can't see what that reason might be. It sounds like a very sensible Limitation to me.
I'm just going to go with "they didn't think of it when they wrote the books" on this one. It's described as being as good as a pair of hands, so, any limitations you can apply to your hands should apply to TK.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, telekinesis