Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
GODSLAYER

Default Aura of Affliction: Warp

Affliction 1 (Advantage, Warp, +1000%; Aura, +80%; Malediction, +100%; Reflexive, +40%; Melee Attack: Reach C, 1, -20%) [120]

Any reason this wouldn't teleport away most attacks (like bullets) before they hit you?

Last edited by GODSLAYER; 08-19-2018 at 06:11 PM.
GODSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Aura of Affliction: Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSLAYER View Post
Affliction 1 (Advantage, Warp, +1000%; Malediction, +100%; Reflexive, +40%; Melee Attack: Reach C, 1, -20%) [112]

Any reason this wouldn't teleport away most attacks (like bullets) before they hit you?
You've built it like a parry, so you have the same problems as with parrying bullets.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
starslayer

Yea, this will work fine for power-parrying bullets; it will work normally and under the rules for power parry and, like Jeff said, parrying bullets.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
GODSLAYER

How is it built like a Parry? Reflexive would just turn the Aura on automatically, whenever needed.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Where is the Aura enhancement? Anyway, another possible build would involve Warp with Reflexive, 40%, Reliable +10, +50%, Selectivity, +10%, and Tunnel, +100% [300]. While it would not be as cheap as the Affliction, it would be a lot more versitile and would allow the character to reflexively 'parry' any attack by creating a tunnel in between them and the attack that leads behind their attacker (literally allowing them to hit their attacker with their own attack), as well as creating 'cover' for 3d turns. I would allow it on a successful Power Parry, assuming that the character knew where their attacker was located (it would also work for thrown grenades, nuclear weapons, and the like).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
GODSLAYER

Doh! I see it. I forgot to actually add Aura to the build. Fixed now.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

The problem with the design is that Auras explicitly cannot parry and must have Reach C, so you could not use it as a defense (now, if you can parry bullets, then the bullets would be teleported, allowing you to do so without harm to yourself). I am also curious about the Malediction, as I am not sure you can combine Malediction with Reflexive.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:32 AM   #8
GODSLAYER

Reflexive is just there to turn the Aura on Automagically. Should it be on the Aura Enhancement itself rather than the whole advantage?

You could instead look at this as a case of someone with an Aura that is Always On. Anything that entered your Hex would have to roll vs Malediction or get Teleported. I would think this would include bullets as well.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #9
AlexanderHowl

Auras cannot be used to parry, period, so it could not function as a Power Parry. Reflexive cannot be used as on an attack, even if used for a parry, because it is neither a defensive ability or a sensory ability (Powers, p. 109), since it could primarily be used as an offensive ability (normal Warp is a potent defense). In addition, since it does not provide an advantage that it a transformation nor is it limited to a specific type of inanimate object, it cannot target objects like bullets (Powers, p. 40).

Even if none of them applied, it is still an Affliction, so every bullet would receive a resistance roll against HT 12, meaning that it would fail 75% of the time against bullets, so it would not be a terribly good defense. A better example for what you are trying to do would be Warp with Exoteleport, Reflexive, and Reliable +10. Whenever an attack that you are aware of would hit you, you could have a Power Parry to teleport it somewhere else.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

That said, I think that after everything hit you and did damage it would be transported elsewhere. Very convenient if someone hits you with their heirloom sword. If you've got high DR or insubstantial it may work in the way you desire: you take no damage and the bullets go elsewhere. Linking it with insubstantial could work.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote