Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Ejidoth

Default Re: Any way to mitigate half move/dodge from injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Do you mean in RL, or in the game? I can't say as to the former, but the latter seems to me to be less than completely true. For instance, a character with High Pain Threshold could be nickeled and dimed down to 1/3 HP without feeling any discomfort at all, but will still be at half move and dodge.
Arguably, while High Pain Threshold means you can endure the little injuries, by the time you're at 1/3 HP you're still feeling pretty miserable from general aching and soreness and such.

Just playing devil's advocate, though. I always assumed the speed reduction was due to actual structural damage; having muscles refusing to work properly and such.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Do you mean in RL, or in the game? I can't say as to the former, but the latter seems to me to be less than completely true. For instance, a character with High Pain Threshold could be nickeled and dimed down to 1/3 HP without feeling any discomfort at all, but will still be at half move and dodge.
Real life. The game mechanic is simply that, a game mechanic. After all, making it more realistic would involve movement penalties beyond just "1 more HP and you're at half move!"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
JP42

There's definitely room for an Alternate GURPS article that expands on how one should be impacted by wounds. Something that separates scratches (1HP) from minor wounds from serious wounds, and applies longer-term (than 1 second) penalties based upon them.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
JCurwen3

RPK did it as a new IT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I'd just define it as a new IT, inline with the costs of High Pain Threshold and Recovery, and call it 10 points, with a +100% enhancement if it affects FP loss as well.

(I wouldn't allow "Just FP loss", personally, because I consider the penalties from low Fatigue a very important factor in keeping many character types balanced.)
This is what I use when I don't want a character / creature with Immunity to Pain or even High Pain Threshold, but aren't "built" so that they suffer those slow down penalties as a result of loss of injury, fatigue, or both.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Immunity to Pain wasn't originally conceived as protecting you from Slowing Down, but I can see an argument that it might be overpriced without it. For 15 points you can get +8 to resist Pain, at which point you only fail on 17-18, unless targeted in the brain or vitals. For another 10 points you can buy Injury Tolerance (No Brain, No Vitals).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Another way is you buy Vitality Reserve where injury is applied to the reserve before HP, hence delaying hitting the 1/3 level more effectively than increased HP.
I don't believe VR is RAW. However ablative DR is, and nicely mimics the action movie hero who doesn't seem to really get hurt until near the end of the movie.

But frankly, I'd give the guy a lot of luck, HP, and a point of normal DR. I think it's normal even for barbarian bricks to slow down when wounded enough.

I do use a house rule that give a character one Luck Point for each five CP of Luck they have. These points can be used like CP in the Power Ups: Impulse Buys books.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #17
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I don't believe VR is RAW. However ablative DR is, and nicely mimics the action movie hero who doesn't seem to really get hurt until near the end of the movie.
Well given It was described here by Kromm... It's not published, however it is RAW Consistent. Pluse it is in the Offical FAQ
FAQ 5.1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Consider adapting the Energy Reserve idea to HP instead of to FP. A "Vitality Reserve" should do what you want. To fully parallel the behavior of ER, it should be depleted independently of HP, not be subject to the ill effects of HP loss, heal in parallel with HP, and heal irrespective of rest. So VR would amount to HP that you can lose without shock, knockdown, knockout, or death, and that regenerate at the rate of 1 HP/day on a successful HT roll, regardless of conditions. Most of these advantages parallel Ablative DR (which is also independent of HP and not subject to the ill effects of HP loss). Moreover, neither affects what happens in slams and falls. The differences:

Advantages of Ablative DR:
  1. Stops damage, not injury; e.g., 1 point prevents 2 HP of injury from an impaling wound to the torso, 4 HP of injury from a skull hit, etc.
Advantages of Vitality Reserve:
  1. Soaks all injury, including that from disease, poison, and radiation; extreme dehydration and starvation; critical failures that result in direct injury; vampiric leeching; and Cosmic attacks that ignore DR.
  2. Can be spent like HP for any ability that allows this, notably spells.
I'd say that justifies simply pricing VR like HP, much as ER is priced like FP.

Last edited by roguebfl; 01-19-2014 at 02:35 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #18
corwyn

Autohypnosis 19 allows a one second concentrate roll at -4 to ignore effects of fatigue or injury.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
Propjock

Is there any reason why you couldn't just ignore that rule entirely in the name of a more "heroic" game rather than for one person to have to work around a mechanic you don't like?
Propjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #20
Captain-Captain

Buy extra move = to move lost (Only when injured). Lose it, gain it. No penalty. No questions of rules canon.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy