Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Musk

Default Any way to mitigate half move/dodge from injury

Hi guys,

We're starting up our first ever GURPS DF campaign (Actually continuing a Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder campaign with GURPS rules..but that's another story). One of our character is a Barbarian type character. High speed, High ST & HT, Tuff as hell, etc... The campaign will have its fair share of big bad monster which could easily bring our barbarian friend to a 1/3 of his HP in one hit. However, once he's down to 1/3 of his HP a lot of his defining features are obliterated. One bad hit and he's now a slow moving hunk of meat who better have put on a big plate of armor in the morning.

So my question is: is there something in the rules to reduce/delay the effect of the 1/3 HP. Did a scan through a bunch of my GURPS book and couldn't find any advantage or technique or etc... that would help with this.. Is there something that exists that'd take care of this?

Thanks!!
Musk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Any way to mitigate half move/dodge from injury

Immunity to Pain (Divine Powers) reasonably allows this.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Dwarf99

The solution I had before pain immunity came about was Supernatural Durability (dies normally -80%) [30]
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
The solution I had before pain immunity came about was Supernatural Durability (dies normally -80%) [30]
Which is exactly the same price as buying the Immune level of Resistant, and Immune to Pain looks better on the sheet.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Woodman

Why not use things like the fleshwound rule, so he can ignore the inconvenient hit or give him luck to reroll his dodge.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Supernatural Durability doesn't include immunity from slowing down from injury; it only delays it until 0-HP.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Immunity to Pain (Divine Powers) reasonably allows this.
Kromm recently declared this [here] to be a way to do it. 30 is still a lot to pay for for just freedom from the slowdown, though. I've pegged it at 15 for my own games, and 20 is not unreasonable. A -30% to -50% Limitation on the Immunity should cover that.

I'm not too keen on that ruling, since the slowdown effect's connection to pain seems only tangential, but there you are. IMO, it should be bought separately from pain resistance.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Kromm recently declared this [here] to be a way to do it. 30 is still a lot to pay for for just freedom from the slowdown, though. I've pegged it at 15 for my own games, and 20 is not unreasonable. A -30% to -50% Limitation on the Immunity should cover that.

I'm not too keen on that ruling, since the slowdown effect's connection to pain seems only tangential, but there you are. IMO, it should be bought separately from pain resistance.
Pain really is the main cause of slowdown when wounded, unless it's limb damage, which is where crippling comes into play. Being stabbed in the gut slows you down considerably, even though the muscles in your legs are unaffected.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Another way is you buy Vitality Reserve where injury is applied to the reserve before HP, hence delaying hitting the 1/3 level more effectively than increased HP.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Pain really is the main cause of slowdown when wounded
Do you mean in RL, or in the game? I can't say as to the former, but the latter seems to me to be less than completely true. For instance, a character with High Pain Threshold could be nickeled and dimed down to 1/3 HP without feeling any discomfort at all, but will still be at half move and dodge.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy