Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-04-2020, 02:06 AM   #1
Steve Plambeck

Default An interesting, unforeseen consequence

In the twisted, labyrinthian maze that is my mind, I was just experimenting with what TFT would look like with a fourth basic attribute in the system (as opposed to the canonical three). The 4th attribute I was considering is neither here nor there at the moment.

I started some beginning character builds for samples, and suddenly realized an unforeseen consequence to having any additional attribute.

Limiting oneself to only starting characters in the DX range of 10 to 13 (which I was doing at the time) there's an incredibly whopping 74 possible builds for starting characters. This with the usual 8 minimum for each attribute, and 8 free points to distribute as in the RAW.

By contrast, there are 22 possible attribute distributions for starting characters (within just that range of DX) in the official rules. And I always thought that was quite a lot -- one of the strengths of the game.

But to jump from 22 possible builds to 74 means an additional 52 possible starting character configurations in that DX range alone. It made me go "Oh, wow!"

I didn't even crunch the numbers for figures with DX above or below that range (8, 9, 14, 15, or 16). They'd be too starved for points in the other attributes, at least for the type of characters I started out to consider. I've already been much further down this rabbit hole than I'd planned on going, so that's for another time.

The 74 different starting characters so far is already a bit overwhelming. I'd hate to ever have to pick talents, spells and gear for that army! LOL
Old 04-04-2020, 05:02 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: An interesting, unforeseen consequence

Is your fourth attribute Empathy?

This is used by your sorcerers to cast non-missile spells, by your naturalists and alertness types to sense ambushes, and by charmers to use charisma.

It also determines your starting memory points (but not tne complexity of your starting talents and spells).
Old 04-05-2020, 01:37 AM   #3
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Is your fourth attribute Empathy?

This is used by your sorcerers to cast non-missile spells, by your naturalists and alertness types to sense ambushes, and by charmers to use charisma.

It also determines your starting memory points (but not tne complexity of your starting talents and spells).
Ummmm... no. I can't even see how "Empathy" would be a stat to test for any of the things mentioned.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Axly Suregrip

I don't know how essential your new stat is, but if it is like IQ for dumb fighters, the complexity would only be added for those needing the new stat.

Like when Wizard was added to Melee (before talents), IQ was just a 8 always for all but wizards.

What I am saying is it may not be so bad. Of course if it is essential for all, then maybe its worth it for what you want. Good luck.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote