Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: How exactly would a Religion of a god of theives work?

Note however that a god who is a favoured patron of thieves and bards has exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Worshipping him isn't an instant advertisement that you are a thief. You might just be someone who likes music.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Is there some reason why you are reluctant to write his name?
Perhaps the god of thieves is also the god of lawyers.

(Obligatory link to OOTS's Jones and Rodriguez.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Is there some reason why you are reluctant to write his name?
More or less just so I can get some generic information rather then specifics of dnd canon.

Quote:
Note however that a god who is a favoured patron of thieves and bards has exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Worshipping him isn't an instant advertisement that you are a thief. You might just be someone who likes music.
Hm true but bards I don;t think are the most beloved of people.....but then again I know nothing about medieval history so I'll leave that on a professional.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The priests Messenger/Rogue god in my occasional DF game always leave a receipt for "donations" in place of whatever they take. If they pick your pocket and find nothing they reverse pick pocket you and leave a silver penny.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #15
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you are a chaotic god of a socially unpopular (and highly mobile) group of people, why would you want organized temples?
Practice.

"Come to the temple! Sing some songs! Have some light refreshment! Enjoy the company of your neighbours! What? No, don't worry about the collection plate being passed - we already got your donation. You didn't notice, did you?"
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
thrash

There is a series of books by Scott Lynch, beginning with The Lies of Locke Lamora, in which the titular Locke Lamora is (among other things) the priest of a nameless and officially unrecognized god of thieves. Several plot points in the series revolve around the specific practices of this religion.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
However: for whatever reason a lot of fantasy settings are stuck with henotheistic religions even though there aren't many historical models to base them on. This raises a number of world-building questions about how the different cults relate to one another.
What I find odd is that if I run a setting that explicitly polythesistic the players inevitably default to henotheistic, even if I (or the setting's writers) make an effort to show that worship is typically polytheistic. I noticed this in my setting Thallassia which had the explicit worship of a sun god, moon goddess, and intercessor/pyschopomp/lesser moon god as a single unified religion of the pantheon. I saw it too in Eberron where one of the major religions is a large sprawling pantheon (that has both "good" and "evil" deities) that is actively worshiped in the setting as a pantheon. It's particularly weird there, because the game materials specifically state that spellcasting clerics are uncommon in the setting (as opposed to NPC Adepts), and of those in this particular religion most are dedicated to the entire pantheon. Yet players still seem to insist on Henotheism, and I can't fathom it at all.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
Disliker of the mary sue

Hm I like to say that because generally clerics get different abilities if you worship different deities so with that sort of separation it makes sense to people that deity has it own religion but I shouldn't since someone probably going to point ou that wrong in every way because it was like that in fantasy before dnd existed or that earlier dnd editions did not have that.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
Hm I like to say that because generally clerics get different abilities if you worship different deities so with that sort of separation it makes sense to people that deity has it own religion but I shouldn't since someone probably going to point ou that wrong in every way because it was like that in fantasy before dnd existed or that earlier dnd editions did not have that.
In both those settings it's possible to play a priest of the pantheon (and get a more diverse array of abilities) rather than one dedicated to a specific cult. In fact, in both of those settings (and I made Thallassia long before Eberron existed) priests of the pantheonic temples are vastly more common than ones dedicated to some small shrine of a specific deity. Yet even players of non-clerical characters seem to default to henotheism.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In both those settings it's possible to play a priest of the pantheon (and get a more diverse array of abilities) rather than one dedicated to a specific cult. In fact, in both of those settings (and I made Thallassia long before Eberron existed) priests of the pantheonic temples are vastly more common than ones dedicated to some small shrine of a specific deity. Yet even players of non-clerical characters seem to default to henotheism.
Meh to be fair if your specific you can get particular benefits ...at least in 4th edition...still not entirely sure of 3.5

Tags
clerics, gods, religion, theives