Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
UncleBob

Default Run away vs. Escape?

You'll have to excuse me as I don't have my cards right in front of me (and even if I did, I have over 1,000 to go through at this point...)

So, last night, my wife played a curse on me (isn't she lovely) that forced me to go through the discard deck, take the top monster and face their bad stuff. The card said I could not run away.

In play/use, I had a Steed that gave me instant escape from a monster (at the cost of discarding my steed).

Could I have been allowed to discard the steed to escape or is that the same as running away (which I wasn't allowed to do)?
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Run away vs. Escape?

I don't believe that Curse gives you an option of Running Away. In other words, if the first Monster in the discards was not inescapable, you wouldn't be rolling anyway. You're just taking the Bad Stuff. It's not a result of getting caught by a Monster, it's a result of the Curse!

Since sacrificing a Steed is a method of evading capture by a Monster, it wouldn't work here. A Wishing Ring would be your best bet here.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
SmokeRulz

I believe in this case, there's no actual battle or attempted Run Away happening. You're getting hit with a Curse that is forcing you to accept the bad stuff. The monster's normal effects don't matter. You can't just run away from the Curse, Steed or no.

Now in a regular battle situation, where you're losing to a monster in a fight and need to Run Away, your Steed wouldn't help you escape an inescapable monster. Your method of escape must tell you that it can let you escape even is escape is impossible. The Steeds (Raptor Steed in this case) don't say that, unfortunately.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
UncleBob

So I ruled correctly. Go me.

Unfortunately for me, it also meant my death. :(
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
So I ruled correctly. Go me.

Unfortunately for me, it also meant my death. :(
I find that death is not always such a bad thing. I find that in our games the person who dies (obviously depending on at what point in the game) has a better chance of winning.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Clipper

And just to aid with anyone searching for this in future, the curse being discussed in this thread is almost certainly Curse! Dying Curse.

And even if you had a Hireling or another method of escaping when escape is impossible, it wouldn't work for that curse.