Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Marasmusine

Default [Spaceships] Black powder Rockets?

Lagâri Hasan Çelebi was said to have made a manned ascent in a gunpowder rocket WP

Assuming this legend was true, what would be the statistics for a Spaceships black powder rocket? I can find information on the specific impulse of small modern rockets (about 80s), but I'm not sure about what this would be with 17th-century materials, and I've no idea what the thrust-to-weight ratio is. I'm imagining it would be quite low, sub 1G.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Marasmusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: [Spaceships] Black powder Rockets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marasmusine View Post
Lagâri Hasan Çelebi was said to have made a manned ascent in a gunpowder rocket WP

Assuming this legend was true, what would be the statistics for a Spaceships black powder rocket? I can find information on the specific impulse of small modern rockets (about 80s), but I'm not sure about what this would be with 17th-century materials, and I've no idea what the thrust-to-weight ratio is. I'm imagining it would be quite low, sub 1G.

Any ideas? Thanks.
If it were below 1 gee it wouldn't take off.

Lots of chemical rockets have pretty good thrust-to-mass ratios, and I think that solid-fuel and hybrid rockets' mechanical simplicity means really low weight-to-thrust.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 04-16-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
Marasmusine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
If it were below 1 gee it wouldn't take off.
Are you familiar with GURPS Spaceships?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
Marasmusine

By that, I mean, in GURPS Spaceships each rocket component gives some amount of acceleration. If a rocket gave 0.5 G, and the spaceship had three rockets, the spaceship would have 1.5 G acceleration.

When scouring for information, I've seen thrust-to-weight ratios of 3:1, 4:1 or 5:1 when discussing the minimum thrust for competitions of model rockets (the fuel for which I'm guessing is close-ish to black powder)

According to the GURPS Spaceships designer's notes, 5:1 would give 0.25 G (so you'd need 5 rocket components to achieve lift off).

I don't know if I'm interpreting this right, or if the figures scale up to a manned rocket.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
Agemegos

Quote:
Are you familiar with GURPS Spaceships?
A little. 10

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
Agemegos

Quote:
When scouring for information, I've seen thrust-to-weight ratios of 3:1, 4:1 or 5:1 when discussing the minimum thrust for competitions of model rockets
Bear in mind that in GURPS Spaceships' terms the model rocket motors you buy consist of a engine and some fuel tanks, not just an engine. Listed thrust-to-weight ratios in the spec will be for the fully-fuelled motor at ignition, not for the almost-empty motor at flameout.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
model rockets (the fuel for which I'm guessing is close-ish to black powder)
The commercial Estes model rocket engines are basically black powder. A modern formulation, of course.

Model/amateur rocketeers use all sorts of propellants, though, including liquid fuels. So just be sure your sources are specific.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #8
Humabout

My understanding of black powder motors is that they are prone to cracking. That probably causes issues when you try to make something the size of an SRB. On top of that, aluminum perchlorate is far easier to cast and has a higher energy density than powder.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I can find information on the specific impulse of small modern rockets (about 80s), but I'm not sure about what this would be with 17th-century materials,
Black Powder of that generation is usually assumed to be 60% to 80% as effective as later BP.

When the Mythbusters tried this in a segment called "Chinese Astronaut" or something like that their main result was scorch marks on Buster.

Nevertheless, the thing you seek could be built in Ve2. When I look there I see that TL3-4 solid fuel rockets are given a performance roughly 1/5th of that assigned to TL7 types. The only way to compensate for this would be to shorten the burn time. 6 to 12 seconds instead of 30 to 60 seconds.

Moving on to Spaceships I believe you would lower the Delta-V per tank by a similar percentage.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
Marasmusine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
My understanding of black powder motors is that they are prone to cracking. That probably causes issues when you try to make something the size of an SRB. On top of that, aluminum perchlorate is far easier to cast and has a higher energy density than powder.
Yes I intend to give the rocket a good chance of catastrophic failure!

Tags
blackpowder, gunpowder, rocket, spaceships