Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #2201
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Ancient Egyptian Mummy speaks again!

So scientists are researching ways to reproduce the way ancient people sounded. I'm sure that can't be used to summon entities that only answer to one voice...
Or the only way to re-seal the tomb is with the voice of its builder.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #2202
Johnny1A.2

Got a villain you need an obscure hidden lair for? Looking for an unusual HQ for your protagonist/PCs? You might draw some inspiration from this:

Architect transforms abandoned factory in luxury home

It's got the look, anyway. Transplant it to a suitable location, and...

Also, from the same site:

Abanonded Amusement Park

There's something about that sort of thing that lends itself atmospherically to horror/supernatural storylines. It can be a background...or a plot element. I could put together a symbolic storyline around it, something about the supernatural resonance of joy and happiness being displaced by sorrow and loss...

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 01-26-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:11 AM   #2203
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Or the only way to re-seal the tomb is with the voice of its builder.
*Listens to reconstructed recording*

"Klaatu, barada n *cough* *mumble*." There, I've said the words.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #2204
William

Want a remote cultural oddity for your players to come across? Ship in a bottle session with some different color? Try modeling an island society off of Kihnu Island Estonia, also known as the Isle of Women: of the 300 permanent residents, almost all are women and children! Women run most of the municipal institutions and populate many of the island's survival industries.

Why? Because the men, who fish in the Baltic Sea, spend months of the year on long trips at sea, away from the happenings on land. Most of the women say they like it; they have many traditions they have passed down for a long time and they're proud of their lifestyle.

It's the first place featured in this Youtube video.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #2205
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
If you are running a Weird War II type campaign this bit from Wikipedia seems like it should mean something
Using 3000 year old wood should have some mystical meaning.
My stepfather makes pens as a hobby; glancing through one of his catalogues I found where one could purchase pen blanks made of ancient bog wood, 4,000-6,000 years old. Perhaps more interesting, ancient kauri wood - which is 30,000+ years old - was also available. Useful for those times you need a pen that is mightier than an artifact sword. You could probably also use them to craft a small wand (or connect multiple together for a longer one), possibly disguised as a fancy pen (or use special materials for the innards of the pen and its ink as well to craft something very suited for symbol magic or similar).
Old 02-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #2206
(E)

I happen to have some slabs of swamp Kauri in my shed, the biggest is about 7 meters long and probably weighs a couple of hundred kilos so a fairly mighty pen could be made.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:03 AM   #2207
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I happen to have some slabs of swamp Kauri in my shed, the biggest is about 7 meters long and probably weighs a couple of hundred kilos so a fairly mighty pen could be made.
Some pens, some staves, a few suits of wooden scale armor...
Old 02-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #2208
Dr. Beckenstein

There is a society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Robots. Asimov would be so proud.

http://www.aspcr.com/
Old 02-07-2020, 04:18 AM   #2209
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Looking for unorthodox, divergent-tech-path guns? Having trouble remembering the difference between clips vs. mags vs. drums and pistols vs. revolvers?

Here's an invention for you! A an 'automatic pistol revolver', with both a magazine of sorts and a drum of sorts.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #2210
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Looking for unorthodox, divergent-tech-path guns? Having trouble remembering the difference between clips vs. mags vs. drums and pistols vs. revolvers?

Here's an invention for you! A an 'automatic pistol revolver', with both a magazine of sorts and a drum of sorts.
Hmm... If I'm looking at that right, it appears the magazine feeds a round into the bottom chamber of the two-chamber revolver; this rotates to the fire position, and the empty chamber takes its place to be reloaded with the next round. It looks like there's a mechanism in the middle that pushes the spent cartridge out through the back during the rotation. It's certainly interesting, and quite game-worthy.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox