Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
cell

Default Impractical Guns

At one point in an upcoming game characters who have little to no experience with firearms are going to need to get some. I had the idea for the characters to make Gun/IQ rolls. If they make it they pick something practical. If they fail they pick something that looks cool on tv. i was looking for a list of guns that wouldn't be practical for a real combat situation. One of the ideas i had was a Desert Eagle. Any suggestions?
cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Impractical Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
At one point in an upcoming game characters who have little to no experience with firearms are going to need to get some. I had the idea for the characters to make Gun/IQ rolls. If they make it they pick something practical. If they fail they pick something that looks cool on tv. i was looking for a list of guns that wouldn't be practical for a real combat situation. One of the ideas i had was a Desert Eagle. Any suggestions?
Deset Eagles are too heavy for long-term carry (much less concealment) and their MinSt is too high for many people (though not necessarily many PCs). However, barring those factors it shoots people dead quite nicely.

The thing that will make gun combat impractical for your PCs will seldom be any quality of the weapon but more likely their lack of any pts in Guns. Starting at DX-4 and applying Gurps' draconian speed/range penalties will largely result in much noise and some holes in the walls regardless of what guns are involved.

If you go to Tactical Shooting you can find even more penalties for unskilled shooters too.

They will probably only hit when they get very lucky so the thing that would undermine that would be low damage. Especially the P- modifier.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Disliker of the mary sue

Maybe on a critical fail they don't even get a real gun, they get like a paintball gun or a toy gun with the orange tip spray painted over.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
cell

Point well taken. I'm looking through tactical shooting as we speak. In the group i have i know one character will be a cop the rest I'm not sure. I liked the idea of the cop asking what everyone got and then just watching him curse for a few minutes while the inexperienced pc's look at each other wondering what they did wrong.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
cell

It's a horror game i forgot to say. At that point in the game the players tool up to deal with the monster. Also for critical failures they are going to get something like a crossbow using the logic "The monster will never hear it coming."
Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
(E)

Single action revolvers.
Antique guns in general. "It's a semi-automatic revolver"
Caliber either too big or too small. It's a semi-automatic m-14 replica. . . . . . In .22 long.
Huge overkill bolt action hunting rifles. For indoor use.
Air rifles, target pistols.

Edit
"You said it was the pistol the navy uses" "yup, a colt navy"

For a first time shooter, a Tommy gun, complete with 100 round drum magazine (only one magazine)

Sawn off side by side(pistol grip). With bird shot or possibly rifled slugs

Last edited by (E); 07-19-2016 at 08:36 PM.
(E) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
cell

"Let me see that violin case you have there." Oh god i can just see that.
Also are there stats for a Taurus Judge? I think a snub nose shotgun revolver would be suitably impractical.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
"Let me see that violin case you have there." Oh god i can just see that.
Also are there stats for a Taurus Judge? I think a snub nose shotgun revolver would be suitably impractical.
The Judge would primarily be impractical because it's probably shooting .410 shot loads.

I might actually choose a modern revolver over an autopistol for an unskilled user. They'd be less likely to bite his hand wile recoiling or malf because they were being limp-wristed. They might even figure out how to reload one too.

Whatever, it's not going to matter what they choose. They won't hit anything except by luck and the PC who got lucky after choosing a powerful gun might accomplish something.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

On a critical fail:
- They grabbed a decent, practical gun... but the wrong box of ammo. Ammo none of the other guns use.
- They grabbed a replica. It even helpfully says so right down the other side of the barrel (the side they did not look at). On the bright side it will chamber a single round at a time.

For regular failures:
- Yes, a Deagle is impractical for most people. So is the 'Dirty Harry", S&W model 29 chambered for .44 magnum.
- Someone grabs a rifle and a 100 round box of the correct ammo. A .338 Lapua Magnum, but the person is a 4'2", 90 pound women... and the bipod and scope were removed for storage (but she didn't notice).
- Someone grabbed Great-Grandad's old squirrel huntin' gun. A powder and shot rifled musket. Luckily it's gunbag has a box of shot and a can of black powder.
- Someone grabbed an AR15. There is nothing wrong with it, they even have 6 properly loaded spare magazines. But they think it's an M16.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
(E)

For a critical failure
- an SA-80 (modified for left hand use)
- any gun that has been illegally modified for autofire (by an amateur)

A marakov with push through holster. (No safety, push to get it out of the holster and cock it.)

Last edited by (E); 07-19-2016 at 09:14 PM.
(E) is online now   Reply With Quote