Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Mateus

Default Re: My New DF Setting: Showing the Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Nifty!

Naturally, the maps in MotFD were also produced with Campaign Cartographer.
And as a side note my desert, the "Terras Famintas" is a adaptation to the portuguese of the "Devouring Lands" from the Mirror of the Fire Demon.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I just want to show you guys my new world for a DF game.
That's beautiful. Puts the maps I've drawn to shame.

Looks like you've got a good mix of cultures and the heraldry is a very nice touch. Am I correct in seeing the arms of the Kingdom of Cacanayuc as a psychedelic mushroom?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
=) My comment was more a mockery of the first thing players always do when handed a map of the campaign world - ie, try to see what's in the unexplored bits (for one reason or another) and thus spoil the point of having a large map to begin with.
If the players don't want to check out Ilha da Morte first, they're a bunch of punks.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
It's very attractive! The names roll of the tongue well, and a few areas kind of leap out as potential play areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
=) My comment was more a mockery of the first thing players always do when handed a map of the campaign world - ie, try to see what's in the unexplored bits (for one reason or another) and thus spoil the point of having a large map to begin with.
Yeah. I've had that happen in the past, too. During my last game, I handed players an area map (the "Known Worlds" of D&D, actually) and told them it was the play area. I said there was a whole world out there, but this was the epicenter of action - most of the best magic items were here, most of the best wizards, the most critical precipices of history, etc. The rest of the world was there if they wanted to go visit, but everything would always point back to the areas on the map. The rest of the world was really there so I could have far-off islands and have places for exotic people and things to come from. Going there was possible, but not assured of being interesting.

Nowadays I refer to that as a limited sandbox - within certain boundaries, you can do whatever you want. If you go outside of them, you're essentially moving away from the fun stuff and exploring the background scenery. You can do it, but don't complain if it's not as fun.

The end result was, with my gamers anyway, that they basically stayed in the mapped area most of the time and expected that trips outside of it were tied to the main area. They knew where to look for trouble if they wanted it.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
That's beautiful. Puts the maps I've drawn to shame.

Looks like you've got a good mix of cultures and the heraldry is a very nice touch. Am I correct in seeing the arms of the Kingdom of Cacanayuc as a psychedelic mushroom?
Not exactly. The mushroom represents their psychedelic god =). But aquatic mushroons are not a bad idea!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Gold & Appel Inc

Very nice work; thanks for sharing.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Neat!

Also, as a Spaniard, I probably rate at Broken Portuguese, so I could actually read what's in the map rather well.

If you could publish a file with all the names in Portuguese and English, I volunteer to translate them to Spanish and French. Oh, and I can try to help you with the names that won't work well in English.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Neat!

Also, as a Spaniard, I probably rate at Broken Portuguese, so I could actually read what's in the map rather well.

If you could publish a file with all the names in Portuguese and English, I volunteer to translate them to Spanish and French. Oh, and I can try to help you with the names that won't work well in English.
Now you guys are giving me excuses to not finish my master in Ancient History in time! I will work a little more on the map and made a version in english. If I have time I translate my notes about the setting and also post them.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Speaking as a typical American monolinguistic reader, I got it just fine. The defaults between Greco-Roman languages really aren't all that bad if you figure in the extra time bonus most people will have in an internet context...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
RyanW

Quote:
Having once upon a three years in high school been a passable reader of Spanish (my grammar when speaking or writing was, I imagine, horrible, and I could never keep up with a native speaker when listening, but I could read well), I found with a tiny bit of help from Google Translate I could get through it pretty well.

The Confederation of the Lords of the Deep Waters sounds like an interesting place. Mermen? Fishmen? Altanteans? Deep Ones? Some combination?