Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #31
swordtart

Default Re: Kickstarter - Can we get an Autuduel up in here?!!?

Hmmm, sounds very much like a turn-based auto-combat game already out there ;)

To be honest if you could drop all the "having to put up with the rest of the internet being a moron" i.e. have a stand-alone capability, I would be quite happy.

Just don't make it another first person, drive over the goodies to get a buff nonsense that currently dominates the auto-combat market. Frankly real-time stuff isn't CW for me. Having to manage a tricky interface with split second timing isn't my bag. If I wanted that there are plenty of other titles out there for me.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #32
juris

Yeah, all I'd want is the actual boardgame online. It'd be the same game except no cardboard counters and paper maps. That way we could settle forum disputes the proper way :)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #33
AstralWanderer

Those interested in the Autoduel PC game may wish to check out Interstate 76 in the meantime. It's a single-car combat game, which you can customise (not to the same extent as Autoduel, but you do gain access to better weapons and components as the campaign progresses). It has a first-person view, OK-ish graphics for its time (it was released in 1998) and includes force-feedback support (for those who have joysticks offering it - you may get a sore arm from them though!). You have less freedom than in Autoduel (it is a string of scenarios with victory conditions you have to achieve to progress) but there is a stronger storyline and a better simulation of driving (the sequel, Interstate '84 was panned by reviewers though - approach that with caution).

Given that nothing has been heard of the Ogre PC game yet (which SJG committed to in the Ogre KS), it seems likely that an Autoduel update will be some way off in the future.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #34
Pacey

Hmm, I still remember playing I76 with a force-feedback steering wheel. The effect of a blown tyre is like trying to drive an angry alligator!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #35
AstralWanderer

I remember having a numb arm after one long combat session, thanks to I76's machinegun feedback. I've not come across many games offering force-feedback support, so I76's heavy use of it was a surprise and should probably have qualified for a health warning...
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
Since Doublefine brought back the adventure game through Kickstarter, it's been blowing up with the promises of revived games and genres. Wasteland 2 took off like gangbusters, and now Shadowrun is launching through Kickstarter too.

Autoduel is one of my favorite Computer Games of all time and, in fact, it was Autoduel that lead me to look into and eventually start playing Car Wars.

How about a remake, a sequel...a legitimate Car Wars game in some form?
Like someone else said, I just want Car Wars on computer like what's his name made with the original artwork scanned in. Make it online experience, and I've be at a game every Friday night when I wasn't working.
Closed Thread