Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #671
Ulthar88

Default Re: [IC] A Stranger Land

"Awright, then," the sergeant says, "gwan in with ye. Use your finely tuned wilderness skills to find the tavern on the right, inn on the left. If ye want to be doin' any business, the outfitter is in the Guild hall, second hill down the main road."

Through the gate, you come out onto a pleasant cobblestone road with embedded wagon ruts. From within, the town looks more like a series of tiny hamlets surrounded by trees and farmland. The road heads right up a low hill with a cluster of small buildings; right in the center are two larger ones. The right-hand side of the road is dominated by a two-story timber-framed building which seems to be just opening up -- said 'opening' involving the raising of many floor-to-ceiling awnings that turns almost the whole first floor into an open-air space. At the front hangs a banner made of crocodile hide with words burnt into it: "Crocodile Brew".

The left side of the road appears to be mostly stables. There are a few oxen in a paddock behind several loaded ox-carts, and further back, an elephant munches on straw. In the middle of all this is a low mud-brick longhouse whose wooden sign reads simply: "rooms. bath. stables."

Upon entering the "inn", you find a low-ceilinged common room at front. An older woman with a brown, wrinkled face and a faded yellow robe hurries to help you, only a little surprised at your appearance. Exiting the inner hallway is a stout middle-aged fellow, in what resembles a light blue toga and with a large, floppy hat in hand. At first he is alarmed by you, but then he looks hopeful and cheerily greets you; "Adventurers, perhaps? Are you registered with the Mercenaries Guild? No? Dear, dear -- too bad -- the roads in Saxony have gotten so 'iffy' of late." He bustles out the door.

(A note on expenses -- a room will be 15 pence, bath 2 pence. Everyone but Siri has been on the road long enough to owe maintenance for cleaning, repairing, polishing and replenishing; call it 6 pence each. According to my (belatedly kept) records, your local currency totals are:
Artemis 3.06
Martel 0.95
Rorik 0.74
Astrid 0.35
Marcus 0.00
Siri 0.00 )
Ulthar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #672
momothefiddler

Astrid will pay for a room and maintenance and make the other 14p available to Marcus/Siri/whoever else needs it.
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #673
Lamech

Martel will spend the .23 on cleaning/room/bath, and make .37 available for Marcus/Siri
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #674
Stix4armz

Artemis retreats outside the city walls for the night and finds a good place to set up camp. He takes time to bathe (if there are any streams nearby), then spends time doing maintenance on his bow, arrows, quiver, etc before going to sleep.

Finding a place to camp - Survival (Woodlands) 14, roll 13, success by 1
Hiding the campsite - Camouflage 14, roll 10, success by 4
Bathing while avoiding crocodiles - Stealth 16, roll 14, success by 2
Doing maintenance on his gear - Armory (Missile Weapons) 15, roll 9, success by 6
This is the link for all the rolls!
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #675
Gemini

Marcus spends the 23 pence on room/bath/maintenance, and a few more pence drinking with whoever else wants to.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #676
Dragyn

Siri accepts 17p from Martel with a promise to repay as soon as he earns a share. He pays for a room and a bath, taking the latter quickly. To save money, he retires to his room, where he uses magick to transform a bundle of grass into a loaf of bread. "Cine Hranu."

Spoiler:  

After finishing his meal, Siri heads downstairs, and across to the taver, finding the master and offering his services as a minstrel during the lunchtime hours. "I promise you, your customers have never heard the songs my flute will bring to life, and there are... other things that will increase the enjoyment of my performance."

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #677
Ulthar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragyn View Post
"Cine Hranu."
Siri casts the spell and gets his bread as expected... but loses no fatigue in the process. Instead, he feels a small change within himself -- it is something like... tension -- as if his soul were pushing or stretching something. It feels like it wants to push back, but Siri is content that he is well within his capacity to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragyn View Post
"I promise you, your customers have never heard the songs my flute will bring to life, and there are... other things that will increase the enjoyment of my performance."
The proprietor is a wiry and gray-haired man of fairer skin than most around here. He kneels at a small clay oven, preparing to smoke some sort of jerky. Looking you over with a very dubious eye, he says, "Mind ye, I don't expect much but a few guardsmen until the rain. But if ye want to try yer luck for tips, it's yer hide... and ye'll be payin' for any mugs that get tossed yer way."
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #678
Skullcrusher

OOC: does Rorik have enough to stay in a room? What demnomination is his money you listed in?

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #679
Ulthar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
OOC: does Rorik have enough to stay in a room? What demnomination is his money you listed in?
Sorry -- the listing was in shillings; so Rorik has 74 pennies
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #680
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
OOC: yes, he does. He has 74 pence and needs 15 pence for a room.

Siri smiles at the proprietor, "Yes, I had forgotten that most of your custom would happen during the rains. I'll return then."

He returns to his room, and before laying down to rest, casts a simple spell to rouse him in time to perform at the tavern during the afternoon rains. "Gledati Kasnije."

Spoiler:  

(OOC: Siri's plan is to perform folk songs on his flute, accompanying himself with an illusion of dancing goblins, kobolds, little dragons, etc... At 2 hexes, simple illusion will be a 1 to cast, 0 to maintain spell at skill 16. For the most effect, he'll recast a few times to change the appearance and contents. I'll just need what you would like me to roll for the performances.. No need to bog the thread down with playing it out unless you want to.)

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a stranger land