Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
clig76

Default Multi Genre "Dungeon" Crawl

I was searching around the internet and stumbled across the combat system for Gurps 4e. It looks amazing. I have been looking for a system to use a cross-genre "Dungeon Crawl".

I really enjoy creating characters, taking them through combat scenerios, gaining experience and leveling up.

Anyway, after a brief look at the system (and all its genres) it really looks like what I have been looking for. I do however have a few questions for you experts out there...

1) The battles are played on hex map, correct?
2) Is facing important (flanking etc)
3) How many books do I need to start a basic game?

Thanks,
Curt

PS. I know using such a great RPG system to create a "Beat Em Up" game can be seen as blasphemous. Please ease up on the bashing. Im just looking for advice.
clig76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Multi Genre "Dungeon" Crawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clig76 View Post
I really enjoy creating characters, taking them through combat scenerios, gaining experience and leveling up.
Typically, GURPS doesn't involve leveling up, as such. Character development is usually more gradual, though it's possible to simulate leveling up by handing out large batches of points infrequently rather than a slow trickle after each session.

Quote:
1) The battles are played on hex map, correct?
Yes.

Quote:
2) Is facing important (flanking etc)
Yes.

Quote:
3) How many books do I need to start a basic game?
I'd recommend the Basic Set (two books, Characters and Campaigns), then decide if you need more. Martial Arts, High Tech, and Ultra Tech will probably appeal to you, as will Low Tech when the new edition comes out, and you may have an interest in the Dungeon Fantasy series.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Rune

I agree on the Dungeon Fantasy pdf's.
There are 9 out now, but just buy the first to begin with. The rest aren't all that necessary, and if you want you can always buy them later.

I also agree with Martial Arts and Low Tech. But buying High Tech and Ultra Tech will probably be a waste of money for a Dungeon Crawl game.
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
ThomasSmith

What exactly does "cross-genre" mean?
ThomasSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
clig76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
I agree on the Dungeon Fantasy pdf's.
There are 9 out now, but just buy the first to begin with. The rest aren't all that necessary, and if you want you can always buy them later.

I also agree with Martial Arts and Low Tech. But buying High Tech and Ultra Tech will probably be a waste of money for a Dungeon Crawl game.
Thanks for all the advice. The Tech stuff sounds cool. When I said "Dungeon" I just meant moving from room to room fighting stuff. Not soley "fantasy" setting.

Another question...

-Is there guidelines on making level appropriate encounters/enemies?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Is there guidelines on making level appropriate encounters/enemies?
Sadly, no - and this is one of the problems many people have with GURPS. That said, Mailanka created some guidelines for making homebrew DF monsters. You can sometimes compare the number of points an enemy has invested in combat skills and abilities to that of characters for a rough estimate of effectiveness. A character with 100 points in combat skills/abilities will, in general, defeat one with only 50 such points - but if the 50 pointer has invested every point into one weapon skill, and he has that weapon, he'll likely defeat the 100 pointer who has his points more evenly distributed*. And, of course, even 500 points in combat skills won't help against a guy who's put 20 points in Guns (Rifle) and has a high-powered sniper rifle aimed at your head from a hidden sniper's roost across the street.

*With 50 points in Broadsword, that's going to be around skill 22. If the other guy has Broadsword-16, Karate-14, Judo-14, Axe/Mace-14, Thrown Weapon (knife)-12, Fast-Draw (Broadsword)-14, and Fast-Draw (Knife)-13, he's certainly more well-balanced... but he won't stand much of a chance if the other guy is wearing too heavy of armor for his puny thrown knives to penetrate and is wielding a broadsword.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Rune

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. The Tech stuff sounds cool. When I said "Dungeon" I just meant moving from room to room fighting stuff. Not soley "fantasy" setting.

Another question...

Well then the tech books are certainly viable.
Btw I can also recommend Power Ups 2 (Perks). It is a very nice little pdf with fun things for combat characters.
Also if you go for guns and room clearing, Gun Fu might also provide something of use for you (but I have no experience with that - I just know it contains perks as well).
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
clig76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasSmith View Post
What exactly does "cross-genre" mean?
I meant mixing Supers, Fantasy, Sci, etc all into one.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
lexington

Quote:
Keep in mind that that GURPS doesn't have "levels" at all and point totals are not a good guide for combat effectiveness. That said Nymdok has a GM aid that allows you to adjust encounters based on the average skill and damage of the party: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=68760

You'll want to review the rules on Deceptive Attack on B369.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
clig76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Keep in mind that that GURPS doesn't have "levels" at all and point totals are not a good guide for combat effectiveness. That said Nymdok has a GM aid that allows you to adjust encounters based on the average skill and damage of the party: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=68760

You'll want to review the rules on Deceptive Attack on B369.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Not that I know much about the rules but that post does seem helpful.

Im reading some combat examples on another site. This is great stuff here.

Tags
dungeon fantasy