Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy III

Heroic bow-shots
Whitest magic, silver blades
Selflessly, we delve
— Ancient elvish haiku
Is it possible to get enough GURPS Dungeon Fantasy? Pfff . . . can a dwarf have too much gold? Can a munchkin have too much power? I think not! That's why e23 brings you Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy III. Let's look at what's in the chest this time:
  • Dungeon Fantasy began as a pair of short, sweet PDFs, so we couldn't justify devoting nine pages to revamped spell lists. Since then, this whole dungeon-crawl thing seems to have caught on with GURPS players, and the clerics and druids have asked us to rein in those munchkin mages who learn half the Animal and Healing colleges on a technicality. In Wizardry Refined, Dr. Kromm sets things right at long last.

• Ever been in the mood for an old-fashioned, hack 'n' slash delve, but your players were burned out on fantasy? Maybe it's time for a High-Tech Dungeon Crawl. In this issue's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver recounts his experience sending TL8 heroes through a portal to a TL3^ dungeon. Learn how bullets and monsters mix, why the golf cart is the new mule (with stats!), and the surprising social ramifications of doing this.

• Dungeon Fantasy players quickly learn that "GM" and "evil GM" are synonyms – usually after the umpteenth instance of It's a Trap! Pick from the many prebuilt traps, use the step-by-step rules to build your own, or roll randomly on some combination of the 21 different tables and let Fate stick it to the heroes. With everything from bladeblack-poisoned shuriken launchers to death-pits covered in Fascinate runes, you've got infinite options for pain.

• Gamers looking for a "spellsword" love the mystic knight (from Pyramid #3/13: Thaumatology), who invokes the might of GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements to give his attacks an edge. Now Mystic Power-Ups offers long-term support for those players in the form of dozens of character improvements, four new Imbuement Skills, and rules for "Imbuement-resonant" gear. Game Masters will appreciate the ready-to-use weapon table, rules clarifications, and suggestions for limiting Imbuements without ruining the fun. Everything mystical, all in one place!

• Ever wonder what possessed Dr. Kromm to launch Dungeon Fantasy in the first place? After letting everyone stew for almost six years, he offers In All Series-Ness to provide some insight into the madness. Those who aren't fans of Designer's Notes articles take heart! Kromm also includes an "outtake" from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers: the beastmaster.

• And the chest also contains all the usual goodies, including a Random Thought Table that turns repetition into variety, plus some extremely crunchy Odds and Ends: an unusual trap, a new wildcard skill, and a lens to turn Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen templates into Imbuement-slinging warriors.
PK & Kromm
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy III

I believe I was channeling the collective consciousness when I wrote the Mystic Knight. I really didn't want to beat you to it, Kromm. Then again, I suppose it was a surprise when you saw my (horrid) first draft with something similar to what you had in mind.

Did you know, when you wrote the designer notes, that I was going to publish Mystic Power-Ups in this issue?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post

I believe I was channeling the collective consciousness when I wrote the Mystic Knight. I really didn't want to beat you to it, Kromm. Then again, I suppose it was a surprise when you saw my (horrid) first draft with something similar to what you had in mind.
I think that suggests we have a similar set of influences on our fantasy gaming. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post

Did you know, when you wrote the designer notes, that I was going to publish Mystic Power-Ups in this issue?
Nope. Steven rarely tells me what else is in each issue . . . probably because he's still putting it together at the eleventh hour, in many cases.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Gamers looking for a "spellsword" love the mystic knight (from Pyramid #3/13: Thaumatology), who invokes the might of GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements to give his attacks an edge. Now Mystic Power-Ups offers long-term support for those players in the form of dozens of character improvements, four new Imbuement Skills, and rules for "Imbuement-resonant" gear. Game Masters will appreciate the ready-to-use weapon table, rules clarifications, and suggestions for limiting Imbuements without ruining the fun. Everything mystical, all in one place!
Okay, that description is making me think of elven bladesingers...
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I think that suggests we have a similar set of influences on our fantasy gaming. ;)
You think so? just because, other than rogue-likes (that I played, but that caught me a little late and that I only played to see what it was about) and T&T (that AFAIK, was never released locally), I could cite the same influences as you did in your designer notes?

I wonder how the spellsword would have ended up had you written it though...

Oh, and the beast master looks awesome, but I find the spell list a little sparse for my tastes, especially as the talent is a 15 point one (I know, it's a 5 point skill talent plus a 10 point power investiture). I like how he fills the holy warrior for druids niche though.
Quote:
Nope. Steven rarely tells me what else is in each issue . . . probably because he's still putting it together at the eleventh hour, in many cases.
And it's PK who handles the editorial oversight of the issue anyway...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Any reactions on this would be highly appreciated by the authors, my fellow forumites. Did you hate a article? Love it? Something in between. We Authors want to know! ^_^

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
zoncxs

Bought and going over it, I will buy anything that has to do with imbuements.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Refplace

My feedback..
Alternative spellings under Wizardry refined is great even for those not using DF.
Most of the changes address objections made over the years to so called "Broken" spells. In particular Enlarge versions and Reverse Missiles and the other spells get a nice clearing up like See Secrets.
Changes under the Laws of Magic also deal with many of the complaints nd should be red by any who object to things like create earth.

High Tech Dungeon Crawl wasnt anything really new exactly but was very fun reading. And the dungeonmobile was cool.

Its a Trap! was a lot more interesting then I would have thought.
A good list and set of tables to work with but even better was the explanations and lists of examples.

Mystic Power Ups I liked mostly.
Stabilized shot doesnt seem to fit the description, instead it sounds more suitable for Far Shot or Guided Weapon.
The rest of the article I liked, especially Resonant gear which gives us a new class of magic items. Weapons of Magic are nice, especially since they include how they were built.
The new Techniques are nice, though it took me a bit to figure out there probably buying off a penalty so you dont have an additional roll, instead I think they use the starting skill.

In All Serious-ness was a fun read and I like the Beast Master. I disagree with the comment above and think the 15 points is a good price. Its Power Investure, reaction bonus and talent all rolled into one.

The first line in the Random Thought table had me befuddled and laughing. I would think its HARD to fight a large room with goblins.
The rest of the article was funny but a special call out to the last line in the Barracks section. On the other hand the last line in the article deserves a good poke with a spear!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
My feedback..
Alternative spellings under Wizardry refined is great even for those not using DF.
Most of the changes address objections made over the years to so called "Broken" spells. In particular Enlarge versions and Reverse Missiles and the other spells get a nice clearing up like See Secrets.
Changes under the Laws of Magic also deal with many of the complaints nd should be red by any who object to things like create earth.

High Tech Dungeon Crawl wasnt anything really new exactly but was very fun reading. And the dungeonmobile was cool.
Oh yeah; I read through both of those and thought they were awesome, though High-Tech Dungeon Crawl wasn't exactly useful so much as it was interesting and fun.

Quote:
Its a Trap! was a lot more interesting then I would have thought.
A good list and set of tables to work with but even better was the explanations and lists of examples.

Mystic Power Ups I liked mostly.
Stabilized shot doesnt seem to fit the description, instead it sounds more suitable for Far Shot or Guided Weapon.
The rest of the article I liked, especially Resonant gear which gives us a new class of magic items. Weapons of Magic are nice, especially since they include how they were built.
The new Techniques are nice, though it took me a bit to figure out there probably buying off a penalty so you dont have an additional roll, instead I think they use the starting skill.
Both of these look nice and useful.

Quote:
In All Serious-ness was a fun read and I like the Beast Master. I disagree with the comment above and think the 15 points is a good price. Its Power Investure, reaction bonus and talent all rolled into one.

The first line in the Random Thought table had me befuddled and laughing. I would think its HARD to fight a large room with goblins.
The rest of the article was funny but a special call out to the last line in the Barracks section. On the other hand the last line in the article deserves a good poke with a spear!
Beast Master looked excellent and is one of my favorite DF archetypes.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
chandley

A Beastmaster with a Unicorn, Moose, or something else with Strikers could be really fun. Giant Scorpion maybe. It is a good template to be sure.

Love having more options for Mystic Knights, one of my favorite classes in DF.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/60, pyramid issues