Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
stefanj

Default Re: Can I Haz Glass?

The Embarcadero, just north of the Bay Bridge, has a giant bow-and-arrow and a rather nice little spaceship.

Also, the Bay Bridge is lit up at night with an astonishing LED display.

The deYoung art museum was very enjoyable. I got the idea for at least one of the artifacts in Alphabet Arcane from the Pre-Columbian wing.

I'm told that the renovated Alcatraz is excellent.

And: Walking across the Golden Gate and back on a good summer day is sublime.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
As it is currently (rather oddly) raining intermittently, that's probably not likely.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #43
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Ooo, lit-up-Bay-Bridge. Yes, I should try to do that.

Going to be a solitary evening, apparently, but maybe a fun one. And I bet that someplace in SF there is good sushi.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #44
Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Ooo, lit-up-Bay-Bridge. Yes, I should try to do that.

Going to be a solitary evening, apparently, but maybe a fun one. And I bet that someplace in SF there is good sushi.
there's also this by Autodesk usa.autodesk.com/gallery/ an exhibit of stuff they've had clients make
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #45
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Aaaaand if JetBlue gets this flight off the ground at all today, it will be 6.5 hours late, and by going straight from airport to Google, I **might** be able to make my scheduled appointment with the Glass Guide.

If not, I will have to reschedule for Heaven Knows When, since my next few weeks are chock full of unreschedulable fun . . .

If I do get on the flight, and if I am not completely beat at the end of the training session, I will try to drop by EndGame in Oakland, since I have Castellan, Chupacabra, and Zombie Dice 3 in my bag!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #46
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

And I didn't make it back from the Google session till nearly 9, so no chance of visiting the store.

Glass is a very interesting little device. I will try to learn to use it better over the next few days. The "training event" scored 9.8 out of 10 as a hip party, and about 2 as a training session, even though the "Glass Guide" was intelligent, patient, and quick, on my plea, to get me out of the "direct sunlight, loud music playing in small room" spot where they first sat me down to show me Glass commands.

At least half of the training time was spent in (1) putting the Glass on and taking it off again to tweak it to fit so I could see the screen, and (2) me trying to learn to activate the Glass, say "Google translate "Where is the bathroom" in Portuguese," read the result on the screen, and stroke the headset in the right way to see the pronunciation before the screen went blank again. In theory it will also pronounce words for me, but I never heard the voice except with both fingers in my ears, which means using a middle finger for the other controls.Thanks to the mirror on the table, I know exactly how silly I looked!

At this point, I know how to put the device on and where the buttons are. I can use it to take a photo or even a video, though I can't yet view them on any other device, and if you happen to be in, say, a motorboat, the Glass cannot hear voice commands. Battery life is very short, and though it was recharged this morning and can detect the hotel wifi, it's not connecting. So further experimentation will have to wait till I get home.

Hoping I don't run into any Portuguese bathrooms on the way.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #47
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
Just did that last Friday with the whole family while on vacation - 70 degrees, sunny, with a hint of wind. Perfect.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #48
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Battery life is very short, and though it was recharged this morning and can detect the hotel wifi, it's not connecting. So further experimentation will have to wait till I get home.
Don't worry, they're using 3D-printing to create microbatteries. Coming soon to a glass near you!