Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Mr. Roboto

Default Kickstarter - Can we get an Autuduel up in here?!!?

Since Doublefine brought back the adventure game through Kickstarter, it's been blowing up with the promises of revived games and genres. Wasteland 2 took off like gangbusters, and now Shadowrun is launching through Kickstarter too.

Autoduel is one of my favorite Computer Games of all time and, in fact, it was Autoduel that lead me to look into and eventually start playing Car Wars.

How about a remake, a sequel...a legitimate Car Wars game in some form?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
mlvalentine

Default Re: Kickstarter - Can we get an Autuduel up in here?!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
Since Doublefine brought back the adventure game through Kickstarter, it's been blowing up with the promises of revived games and genres. Wasteland 2 took off like gangbusters, and now Shadowrun is launching through Kickstarter too.

Autoduel is one of my favorite Computer Games of all time and, in fact, it was Autoduel that lead me to look into and eventually start playing Car Wars.

How about a remake, a sequel...a legitimate Car Wars game in some form?
Right now, the company is focused on getting Ogre 6th Edition completed. Car Wars won't be discussed until Ogre is done.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlvalentine View Post
Car Wars won't be discussed until Ogre is done.
And by done we mean "shipping to distributors." And "discussed" means in-house discussions and not an announcement.

And, even then, nothing will happen until both Steve and I have time to spend on the project.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
rekz

Dear Phil,

I understand the hesitancy b/c you don't want to overcommit.

BUT

I sure hope you propose this on kickstarter, and soon. I miss the good old pen/paper Car Wars/ Autoduel gaming and have a few ideas on how it could be updated to contemporary gaming -- ready?
  1. A punch-out chit board set of game items, namely -- the 'turn key' ruler, and ~ 6 cars, some pedestrians, and a variety of dropped chits. All double-sided.
  2. A small piece website that builds cars correctly, and then allows users to print a perfect 'datasheet' with a cutout car 'card' (to scale) that could be printed ((& laminated?) and players could use in their games right away!
  3. You can make $ by selling $5 splatbook addons as (Uncle Al's Algae Burger & Ammo books) which include the rules add-on for the car builder.
And then, let's play!

Hope you jump on this one soon. I apologize, but I'm no Ogre fan.
But Car Wars / Autoduel -- I'm super eager to get that one!!! Hope you can get some 'buy in' from new players too? Not sure what he hook would be? Maybe use real current-day cars or something? Dunno...

PEACE - rekzkarz
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
DSumner

With Ogre making a come back, and guys jumping to support it on Kickstarter, it's really got me wondering what type of support an updated version of CW would get. I'd be all for a cleaned up, streamlined version of CW.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
pancakeonions

This was my first SJG, and I have fond memories of smashing the heck out of my custom made car back in junior high.

But nowadays I'm a jaded, visually impared, short-attention-span gamer... And when I see a game with minis, that is what fires my engine.

I wonder if Car Wars hits kickstarter, what "stretch" goals would it take to produce a line of minis in plastic to upgrade your game. *That's* what could pull me back into Car Wars.

Cardboard counters? Maybe there's a big enough audience to make that worthwhile... But I imagine your market would increase by an order of magnitude if you were able to set it up with good, customizable minis...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
Roadwarless

Oh and if we cant, theres $1 dollars worth of RoadWars, a video game thats essentially Car Wars pc game. Usually you can bid and win, RoadWars, has machine guns, spikes, mines, etc. A few cars to choose from and optional characters.
I do think AutoDuel the game was very fun, took lots of time in between cities, but another version of AutoDuel would be great.
Maybe enhance with 18 wheelers n suchlike, and more missions stead of just ousting Mr. Big at the end. And more levels maybe too. More graphics. And build characters better.

I kind of enjoy the future setting but, instead of the timeline having drear effects, make role playing as we know driving etc., like today's world, but with weapons, armor etc. Otherwise there would only be big corporation spending on making various models of vehicles. Im talking about most people still working at jobs and commuting etc. I think a bit of the ADQs enterpret this form of lifestyle and not so much like Road Warrior style of surviving.

A second AutoDuel version maybe with larger weaponry and including maybe military factions and heavy hitters and mercenaries to do adventuring, maybe an open world like AutoAssault cept not so blown up worldscapes. And vehicles like Halo's warthog etc for ideas too. With or without a hardtop.

New sciences involving tissue repair like future forms of regenerations. Meaner airframes, launch code puzzles to solve or something. Maybe an AutoDuel with flying in air roads, like Back to Future movie and etc.
wull just thinking...
Old 04-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
owenmp

A discussion on this subject has been taking place on BoardGameGeek. Phil Reed has provided a few comments regarding possible ideas for Car Wars Sixth Edition.

Please Please Please
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...-please-please
BoardGameGeek - Car Wars Forums
April 16, 2012
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Buzzardo

I'll trust SJG to come up with decent mechanics (which seems to be much of the sticking point over on BGG). However, I won't get behind the project in any way if I can't design my own vehicles.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
briankoontz

I'm fully with Mr. Roboto. Autoduel was my favorite video game as a kid and I've been waiting for many years for a remake, with nothing coming out that's even close to it.

The game could be expanded in any number of directions. For example, the cities could become warring city-states with the player fighting within his city for the right to become that city's champion, then entering into a car tournament representing his city. Or the player could engage in a quest line to bring relative peace to the cities, allowing them to unite against a greater threat.

Or the game could go in an economic direction, with the player having to trade in water and gas in order to help towns survive, or a political direction where the player could become mayor of a town who then manages some of the drivers within the city.
Closed Thread