Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
CeeDub

Default Looking for advice on a Utility Mage build

Salutations!

Inspired by this thread, I'm looking for advice, especially with regards to spells, for a mage whose niche is utility, with weak combat spells and skills. The concept will most likely be a disgraced apprentice who got kicked out of the academy or something like that, therefore no impressive fireball spells and instead only basic "bread and butter" (and maybe some self-taught) spells, that can nonetheless provide utility.

The temptation to venture deeper into the Healing college is strong, and I'm not sure I want to resist, but I think it would be more interesting as a concept to stick to "jack of all trades, master of none".

So far I'm thinking ST 9 [-10], DX 10, IQ 13 [60], HT 12 [20]. Magery 3 [35], Pitiable [5], Chronic Depression (CR: 12) [-15], Wealth (Poor) [-15], Status -1 [-5].

Thanks for your suggestions!

ETA: Point budget is the usual 150 CP, but I'm more interested in general advice and opinions than a complete build.

Last edited by CeeDub; 01-30-2018 at 06:56 PM.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Looking for advice on a Utility Mage build

Medieval fantasy setting?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
mr beer

Create Fire, Create Water, Create Food are all good utility spells.

You have plenty of points left over for spells, I would be looking to get one or two high-end spells just because you have the points for it.

Great Haste, Invisibility, Charm and Fly are all favourites of mine. The prerequisites for these are useful as well.

Battlefield control is useful with Grease, Glue, Create Fire (see above).

Reverse Missiles is good.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 AM   #4
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Medieval fantasy setting?
Most likely, yes.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Why would someone with IQ 13 and Magery 3 have Wealth (Poor) unless they were part of a religious order? If nothing else, they could learn healing magic and earn a comfortable living from curing diseases and healing injuries. Even if they avoided healing magic, they should still be able to earn a comfortable living with anything that they wanted to do even if they were a disgraced apprentice (though they might end up engaged in criminal activities).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Wild Talent for spells possibly with retention.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

For a "Hedge-Mage" build take Seek Earth, Seek Water and Shape Earth and you can not only find where to dig the village's new well you can do the digging too and much faster than a gang of men with picks and shovels.

That these same spells are useful to adventurers for finding gold and digging not-so-shallow graves for their enemies is a happy coincidence. Really. :)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Why would someone with IQ 13 and Magery 3 have Wealth (Poor) unless they were part of a religious order? If nothing else, they could learn healing magic and earn a comfortable living from curing diseases and healing injuries. Even if they avoided healing magic, they should still be able to earn a comfortable living with anything that they wanted to do even if they were a disgraced apprentice (though they might end up engaged in criminal activities).
Excellent question. When you don't graduate from one of the academies, you're not allowed to practice magic (unclear whether just professionally or at all) and even if it's the former, people don't usually trust unlicensed magicians.

The character also suffers from Chronic Depression. Doing odd, underpaid (no guild membership) jobs around town is basically why her Wealth is not Dead Broke.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
For a "Hedge-Mage" build take Seek Earth, Seek Water and Shape Earth and you can not only find where to dig the village's new well you can do the digging too and much faster than a gang of men with picks and shovels.

That these same spells are useful to adventurers for finding gold and digging not-so-shallow graves for their enemies is a happy coincidence. Really. :)
Perfect! This is just what I was looking for. I had my eye on Shape Earth as well, to build mud huts as temporary shelter. Or, combined with Earth to Stone, for a cheap and slightly more permanent house.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
The character also suffers from Chronic Depression. Doing odd, underpaid (no guild membership) jobs around town is basically why her Wealth is not Dead Broke.
Chronic Depression can easily justify low wealth. This easily passes the reality test for me; I know more than one friend whose resume doesn't reflect their talent due to long battles with major depression.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote