Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #31
Astromancer

Default Re: Tell us how your Campaigns are going, also get and give advice

I came up with a fun way to reward my players for creative problem solving.

They discovered an angelic being trapped in a large mirror. (four by nine feet backed with solid oak boards).

They got King Moonracer out of the mirror. (Yes that King Moonracer) So I had him bring them up in level. I was behind in rewarding levels,
and knowing they both wanted to go up in both of their classes, King Moonracer gave them each a level in both of their classes.

Hey, the guy has connections. You know who he's friends with.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #32
Astromancer

I think I am doing something right. My players are more afraid of the sight of butterflies than Red Dragons.

They started murder hobos, and now they pass up gold to calm an old lady and dry her tears.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #33
thorr-kan

The Friday Night Gaming Group alternates DMs. I've run an AD&D 2E Al-Qadim campaign of-and-on for the last 22 years. After far too long, I'm back in the saddle as the AQ DM again.

And it feels GOOD.

I DM modules. We're all too old and too busy to do extensive campaign design and prep. Besides, the AQ modules are uniformly awesome.

Right now, I'm running an insanely over-leveled (11-12) party of five through Assassin Mountain (for levels 7-8). Why? Because I want to. It's an awesome module, and I was just never able to work it in sooner. It's also got some good ties back to the beginning of our campaign.

Of course, I'm skipping the first two parts of the adventure, since they have no bearing on the campaign. And the finale will play out much differently with the power levels of the PCs.

But wherever we end up, it should be a fun ride.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #34
Fred Brackin

I'm taking the group through Lights of Xaryxis the new Spelljammer Adventure for 5e. We only play every other weekend and we missed one so it's taking longer than some might expect.

The adventure is written for the players to be clueless planet dwellers discovering the wonders of Wildspace but nobody wanted to do that. If we had the Spelljamming races and other options might never have gotten used as PCs. I'm certainly not holding my breath for another Spelljammer adventure. Look at how much official support the new Eberron got.

When one of my players told me what he was playing I had to ask if he was saying "Giff" or "Gith". Turned out that I was going to get one of each. Also a Plasmoid, an Astral Elf and a Human who'd be totally out of place if he wasn't a Monk and sort of otherworldly all the time anyway.

They're a little weak on why they're saving that world the adventure started on. Maybe a sort of "But we buy lots of stuff there!". I am reminded why as a player I tend to fill the role of "Herder of Cats" and it's actually much harder to do as DM.

We"re only supposed to have one more session but we'll see. The module is kind of uneven about how much they expect you to get through in a session.

Next up is the Enemy Within Campaign for Warhammer Fantasy and as the eldest Shmitt brother I'm _supposed_ to herd all those cats.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #35
Proteus

In the GURPS supers campaign where I'm a player, our characters, who first met as 10-year-old summer-campers exposed to Weird Powers, are now high-school freshmen dealing with extraplanar psychic assaults against a classmate. So we're spelunking into her dreaming unconscious (thanks to some Weird Science gadgetry) to try to defeat the intruder and break the connection. Yes, definite echoes of Legion.

I haven't been able to referee in years. I keep meaning to make myself get more comfortable with a VTT and try out a GURPS conversion of Triple Ace Games' Sundered Skies or GDW's Space:1889. I guess I have a musketry/steampunk itch to scratch.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:57 AM   #36
dcarson

I've run two Gurps 1889 campaigns using lots of bits from the published modules converted mostly on the fly. Players had fun in both.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:09 AM   #37
ak_aramis

My star wars EotE game hit the end trigger - they thawed Padme, and Luke and Leia were born...

moving on to L5R due to player demand... Jade Magistrates, L5R5E (FFG)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #38
Fred Brackin

Finished up Spelljammer with the 4th session. It was a bit of a rush but I left out a couple of encounters that didn't actually seem to "do" anything.

I also downplayed the ship-to-ship combat as I suspect that the ratio of damage of mounted weapons to hull pts is not good and such combat would take too long.

It might make sense for ships to have more HP than any character but I've come to think that 5e characters have too many HP. The "thugs" with more than 40 HP the PCs encountered in the first session certainly did.

Oh well, off to Warhammer Fantasy and the Enemy Within campaign with the fabulous Schmitt Brothers! Also maybe a Schmitt sister.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #39
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I also downplayed the ship-to-ship combat as I suspect that the ratio of damage of mounted weapons to hull pts is not good and such combat would take too long.
Spelljammer ship to ship combat is designed to end in boarding actions or one ship escaping, after the fashion of most pre-20th century naval battles.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:14 PM   #40
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Spelljammer ship to ship combat is designed to end in boarding actions or one ship escaping, after the fashion of most pre-20th century naval battles.
When you have persons uninterested in capturing a ship (relatively intact or not) but rather only interested in getting past a guarding ship this design goal is unhelpful.

What happed in game was me looking at the NPC ship commander and noting he was arrogant and vengeful and had the natural power to teleport 2/day.

"Okay" I say to myself "How arrogant?". I roll a D20 to measure his arrogance and get a natural 20. That's pretty arrogant. So he ordered his crew to attack "that" ship and teleported onto the deck of "that" ship.

His Initiative roll was not equal to his arrogance and he went down before he could wreak the damage and confusion he intended. Meanwhile the die roll for his crew's comprehension of his last order was better than a natural 1 but not by much and they went and attacked a "different" ship.

I did make my PCs kill 2 dragons before they could reach the target Citadel but if I'd made them go through not only one but quite possibly more than one ship-to-ship battle we'd still be there. Or at least they would have run put of spells and died.