Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
tpennie

Default GURPS Space Fourth Edition

I've been reading through GURPS Space Fourth Edition and have come across a few references that are confusing me. In the section on Worldbuilding on page 93 under World Unity, for instance, there's a reference to p. B509. I thought B referred to the GURPS Basic Set, which is split into two books. What is confusing me is that neither book has that many pages. So what book IS being referenced?
tpennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
acrosome

Default Re: GURPS Space Fourth Edition

The two Basic Set books have their pages numbered consecutively, so the first page in the second book is page 338. Page 509 is a page about "Society and Government Types." Does that sound right?
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
tpennie

Ah, okay. That makes sense. You'd think that would've been explained in the book that uses the reference. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpennie View Post
Ah, okay. That makes sense. You'd think that would've been explained in the book that uses the reference. Thanks!
I wouldn't think every GURPS book (because seriously very few are going to have no references to Basic) having to explain how the Basic Set pages are numbered is a reasonable expectation, when the Basic Set itself contains that explanation.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
tpennie

That's true unless you don't HAVE the Basic set yet, like me. :)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
tpennie

I noticed this edition of GURPS Space doesn't explain tech level very well. Is there another book that better explains TLs?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Nemoricus

Have a look at the Basic Set. GURPS 4e books assume that you have it and tend not to repeat information from it.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
Have a look at the Basic Set. GURPS 4e books assume that you have it and tend not to repeat information from it.
Yeah, really nothing except the stand-alone-game products (DFRPG, Discworld RPG, and Vorkosigan?) is written to be used without the Basic Set. EDIT: They're supplements, after all.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpennie View Post
I noticed this edition of GURPS Space doesn't explain tech level very well. Is there another book that better explains TLs?
I think you won't be surprised - yes, there is another book that explains TLs. It's Basic Set. I'm wondering how can you even play GURPS (or any RPG) without Basic Set (more than level of GURPS Lite, which is essentially just "trial version" of real GURPS, and you will have many issues with using other books without Basic Set. In Lite some rules are changed (simplified) and there is lack of many elements). GURPS lite is great to decide if this is system for you, without spending money for just testing. But if answer is "Yes, it's system for me, I want to play in GURPS", you definitely should buy Basic Set.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
I think you won't be surprised - yes, there is another book that explains TLs. It's Basic Set. I'm wondering how can you even play GURPS (or any RPG) without Basic Set (more than level of GURPS Lite, which is essentially just "trial version" of real GURPS, and you will have many issues with using other books without Basic Set. In Lite some rules are changed (simplified) and there is lack of many elements). GURPS lite is great to decide if this is system for you, without spending money for just testing. But if answer is "Yes, it's system for me, I want to play in GURPS", you definitely should buy Basic Set.
Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake myself. I bought Space first and then want back and bought the basic set. Its worth it though. Great stuff.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote