Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Tema69

Default Getting shot by an arrow - leave it or take it out?

So, I've been watching a bit much Apocalypto recently, and I wondered how you'd model being hit by an arrow? Pulling it out, breaking the shaft, all that jazz...

...it's mainly for a single PC in my game to whom I'm gonna give a bow, so it doesn't matter if it's a bit complicated...

Thanks,

Thomas
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Getting shot by an arrow - leave it or take it out?

The answer is complicated. It depends on the type of arrowhead, how deeply it penetrated, whether it hit bone...
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

If there's magical (or equivalent) healing handy I don't complicate it like that.

However, in a more realistic environment, I'd have someone role a First Aid/Physician/Diagnosis type roll to determine the best choice.
I'd even allow an IQ based Bow/Crossbow skill roll.

As for what the right thing to do is for the non-surgeon, if the arrowhead is barbed, pulling it out is bad and will cause damage on the way out.
If it isn't, well, it may be one of those situations where it's nicked an artery but is preventing blood loss and if you pull it out, arterial bleeding starts. Of course, the typical PC won't know so it's a chance they'll be taking by yanking it out.

If you're going to leave it in, break it off. An arrow jutting out of your chest is highly likely to be bumped and therefore becomes a lightning rod for pain and potential aggravation of injury.

In the case of barbs, I've had them make a roll as above to determine if it will do more damage to push it the rest of the way through or to pull it out. I use the amount of damage done to help me decide.

That's about as detailed as I get IF I get detailed about it. Hope it helps.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Tema69

Thanks guys.

I'd like to add just a liiiittle more detail to this bow and arrow theme here, so if you'll bear with me :)

An arrow sticking out of the chest/limb/whatever. Is that a DX penalty for maneuverability purposes, with damage (half initial damage?) on a failed movement-related check (climbing, jumping, melee, etc...)?

As for removal, wouldn't a bodkin arrow be easier to remove? +2 to the roll? And a serrated/barbed one would give a penalty? -2 to keep things simple perhaps?
...can't find any rules for serrated/barbed arrows though?
Half damage would probably be appropriate on a failed roll (with perhaps "only" a single point of damage on a success), with full damage on a critical failure (with a barbed arrow increasing the chance of critical failure by it's penalty of 2)?

And breaking the shaft off (usually in combat?) could be a ST check, with the same damage modifiers as removing the tip?

Any thoughts? I know it's simplistic, but I'm no surgeon, and I only want the added realism of arrows sticking out of people... :P
Old 12-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Gavynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tema69 View Post
And breaking the shaft off (usually in combat?) could be a ST check, with the same damage modifiers as removing the tip?
I don't think I would require an ST check to break the shaft off an arrow. It would just be matter of however long it would take and having two hands free. I say two hands since one would be used to stabilize the shaft while the other broke it, to make sure you are not twisting stuff around inside.

I also don't think the kind of arrowhead on the shaft should make any difference if you are just breaking the shaft.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Figleaf23
Banned

Unless you are the best medical option within practical range, don't take out the arrow -- go get proper treatment. Likewise, unless there's a dire need, don't try breaking off the shaft. Even slight movement can cut an organ or an artery and poof the situation goes from bad to 'Oh, #%^&!'
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Tema69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn View Post
I don't think I would require an ST check to break the shaft off an arrow. It would just be matter of however long it would take and having two hands free. I say two hands since one would be used to stabilize the shaft while the other broke it, to make sure you are not twisting stuff around inside.

I also don't think the kind of arrowhead on the shaft should make any difference if you are just breaking the shaft.
...thus the ST check. That's for a single second, so get a bonus with added time. Perhaps add a +2 for both hands. But for those who need to do it right now, there's the ST check.

As for different arrowheads and different damage, I'd say that since you're twisting stuff around inside, the different arrowheads would make quite a difference, don't you think? I mean a bodkin wouldn't cut anything up, like a regular arrow would, which in turn would be nothin' compared to a barbed one.

...which reminds me - anyone got stats or a page number for barbed arrows?

@Figleaf: Of course, of course. But if you are (worst case scenario) the best/only medical option in range, I'm asking how to handle it. Mostly, I'm asking what you'd say the penalties or disadvantages (game mechanics) of running around with an arrow sticking out of your chest...
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Landwalker

Quote:
...which reminds me - anyone got stats or a page number for barbed arrows?
Martial Arts p. 232

Yanking out a barbed arrow inflicts half the injury it delivered going in. No effect on cost or weight of the arrow.

Cheers.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Tema69

Thanks, I'll try to figure something out about the damage of the other arrows then...

Still no ideas concerning running around with arrows sticking out of your body?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Gavynn

Quote:
...thus the ST check. That's for a single second, so get a bonus with added time. Perhaps add a +2 for both hands. But for those who need to do it right now, there's the ST check.
I guess I still disagree that breaking an arrow shaft requires a ST check. It isn't all that hard to snap an arrow shaft. If the shaft of the arrow were not made of ordinary wood, but rather some other substance that was far stronger than ordinary wood, then there might be a question as to whether or not the character was physically strong enough to break it and hence require an ST check. But in most situations I think there isn't going to be a question as to whether or not the character is physically strong enough to break an arrow shaft.

Quote:
As for different arrowheads and different damage, I'd say that since you're twisting stuff around inside, the different arrowheads would make quite a difference, don't you think?
Sure it makes a difference for internal damage, but it makes no difference as to how hard the shaft is to break.

Are having the character make a check to see if they are physically strong enough to break the shaft? Or are you having them make the check to see if they damage themselves as they break the shaft?

If you are making them test to see if they are physically strong enough to break an arrow shaft, I'm saying I would not make them roll, or at least they get a big bonus. Arrows are not that hard to break, especially with two hands, such as we were talking. With one hand, it is questionable, especially without doing damage to themselves.

If you want to see if they damage themselves while they break it, I'd say that probably isn't a ST check. I'd be more inclined to go a HT check at penalties for the arrow head type, or perhaps a Will roll to see if the character is capable of keeping the arrow steady enough as he or she breaks it. Maybe there is a better option.

Quote:
Mostly, I'm asking what you'd say the penalties or disadvantages (game mechanics) of running around with an arrow sticking out of your chest...
And actually, I am surprised that isn't dealt with in the rules already somewhere. Some kind of penalty for fighting with a cloth yard sticking out of your chest. And I like the idea that running or such with arrows in your leg might do some more damage to you, or at least slow you down. Icelander might have some opinion on this. That sounds like something he might have thought about.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrow wounds, harsh realism