Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #71
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: PDF Challenge Mix and Match (66 Combos)

Combination 43: Beyond the Pale as a MH Adventure
43) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1
This is the sort of thing monster hunters was made for. Figuring out a bizarre death and then hunting down and killing the supernatural creatures that did it. The Drawn are not what monster hunters stereotypically face off against, but sometimes it's nice to have a break from vampires.

A few notes:
  • Monster Hunters usually face off against foes who rely on damage rather than save-or-die effects. Hunters can go from healthy to dead in a matter of moments. As a GM you may want to "pull your punches" by having the drawn merely incapacitate their victims rather than killing them instantly. This is actually in character for the drawn, as they want to slowly and agonizingly kill their victims. And you really don't have to work that hard: attaching players to scenery with their own bones is the trivial and boring way to do it. Fusing their hands and feet together is also an option.
  • Their primary attack is resisted against a will of 14. This, combined with the body of air trait and their vulnerability, makes the drawn especially effective against brawny foes, and especially*weak against the brainy ones. That's assuming they can hit though: Monster Hunters can be pretty mobile, and pretty agile as well.
  • Inhuman Lycanthropes are immune to the drawn's transformation ability. That could short-cut the adventure, or it could be a moment of awesome for a 5 point immunity that rarely comes up. If you have a Lycanthrope on the team, the party can handle a lot more Drawn.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #72
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combintation 44: beyond the pale, mercenaries
44) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries

Mercenaries live lives surrounded by death and atrocity. Sometimes this is due to the poor planning of the carelessly callously . Sometimes this is due to a deliberate tactic by the cruely ruthless. Sometimes this is due to the opportunistic revenge of the otherwise uninvolved.

But not this time. These killings feel different. The wounds aren't from bullets, bombs, blades, or any of the other inventive weapons men use to kill each other. No combatants were in the immediate area. No pronouncements of dread were made. No one individual has a grudge against all the victims.

what could have killed in such a grotesque fashion? and how will they respond to the various types of military weaponry?*

*Hint: when hunting monsters and bullets don't work, you should really try fire. Really. It just always seems to work out.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #73
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 45a: The Haunted Hyundai
45) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Boardroom and Curia: Tomorrow Rides

Mach has recently come across a white van with a record of bloody, mysterious, and absurd deaths connected to it. After the trend was noticed, the van was unable to be sold, and slated to be destroyed... but then the wrecker suffered his own gruesome death. Interested in all aspects of automobile saftey, Tomorrows Rides has acquired the cursed contraption, and want a team of experts skilled at evading death to figure out what is wrong with this vehicle. They'll be very open about the history of deaths associated with the van, and they wouldn't mind if it met some rapid, accidental, and total demise. But be sure to take detailed notes.

Yes, the drawn are involved. Obviously

Combination 45b (and 37a) : Knights in Shining Autos
45) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Boardroom and Curia: Tomorrow Rides

You've figured out what you're up against, and you're looking at how to defeat it. They move slowly, soak up bullets, and only need to touch you in order to turn you inside out. You don't have access to magic. So what do you use? Cars. Shiny metal nearly sealed boxes that move at high speed. The drawn can't interact well with the exteriors, and the large area damage of an auto impact can be repeated again and again.

Of course, you don't intend to do this in anything YOU own. That would be reckless, and you've got a card to do this kind of thing on someone else's dime.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #74
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 46a: Breakout at Warehouse 23
46) GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 21: Megadungeons and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides

Warehouse 23 is a repository of the deadly, the dangerous, the cutting edge, and the secret. And we've lost it. Something has gone wrong down there, and it has set everything else off. Even the archives are lost, so we're not entirely sure what's going on down there. We need it back, because who knows when something world-ending will get loose.

Someone has figured out that the halls down there are wide and tall enough for a van, and they'll support its weight just fine. To take care of some of these problems, you'll need that much equipment, and it may come in handy when you have to run. Recover the experiments, artifacts, and information you can, and bring them back. We'll pay you handsomely. And do what we can to warn you about any zombies or aliens. No, we don't expect those. Not specifically, anyways... get those documents.

--------------------------------------------
If you don't own warehouse 23, neither do I. But it seemed to fit the bill. The basic idea is an underground bunker full of top secret and securely stored artifacts and research... which is an ideal thing to turn into a mega-dungeon.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #75
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
If you don't own warehouse 23, neither do I. But it seemed to fit the bill. The basic idea is an underground bunker full of top secret and securely stored artifacts and research... which is an ideal thing to turn into a mega-dungeon.
Whatever you do, do not try to open the Ark of the Covenant!

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #76
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 47: The Food of the Gods
38) GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 21: Megadungeons and GURPS Hot Spots: The Incense Trail

High in the mountains of Arabia, the food of the gods seeps out of rocks, caves, and trees like so much blood. Such divine power undirected and unrestrained results in abominations of beast, fowl, tree, and man. Those who partake of power not meant for mere man or beast, knowingly or not, find their minds broken even as their bodies swell with unattainable power.

You are the hunters who venture into the Incense wells, where the raw power of creation lies bare.You fight your way past the twisted beasts and induced horrors, to collect the food of the gods, and deliver it to the gods of civilization. In doing so you serve your gods, rid your mountains of foul beasts, empower the cities you operate from, and make yourselves extremely rich. Or dead. You could end up extremely dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Whatever you do, do not try to open the Ark of the Covenant!

Can I use it as cover?

Old 10-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #77
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Can I use it as cover?
... I suspect that a rabbi would advise against that.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #78
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 48: Megadungeon Atoep
48) GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 21: Megadungeons and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star
In the sky, between the stars, is a mountain that does not belong there. It floats in the sky, menacing, mysterious, and moving towards its destination for some murderous purpose. You have discovered a way to enter it via a portal. Within this place are the strange innards of the creature called Atoep, along with its allies, inhabitants, spawn, and parasites. You will delve deeper into the innards of the thing each time, seeking relief from its strengthening reactions and learning how to counteract its obstacles and defenses. You will discover ancient things both insubstantial and filled with icor. And just perhaps, you will discover its dread purpose.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #79
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 49: The Hole
49) GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 21: Megadungeons and How to Be a GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic
The Hole is a slowly infection of demonic rifts (and eldritch rifts, and general holes to other places in general), leading from all sorts of otherworldly planes to deep inside the earth. For years the invaders dug upwards and battled each other. Now, they have broken up to the surface, and threaten to spill out into the world.

Brave delvers are needed to fight their way through the tunnels to the individual portals so that mages can close them. The tunnels are bewildering: Gate effects to travel in this area tend to open up interdimensional portals, as even unquirked gate rituals are seized upon and distorted by the invaders. With the warping of space, detection rituals are almost useless, and several massive rituals of unknown origin interfere with shaping the tunnels via magic.

Deep down in those tunnels, is the rift that started this all. You must seek it and destroy it. Or you might have to settle for pushing back the undead, demons, elder-things, rogue spirits, and who knows whatever else away from the surface, back into their hole of portals and war.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #80
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 50: The 17 Coincidental Tombs of the Dead Goddess of the Dead
50) GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 21: Megadungeons and GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World

Reshki, as the Goddess of death, was in many ways the most mysterious of the deities. She did not rule you yet, but would certainly rule you later. The rulers of Reshakia claimed her special patronage, and they had a ritual when an especially notable member of their great ruling high priests died: the current temple to Reshki would be converted into a tomb, with the notable priest in the center. With them would be buried most of the secrets of priests. The other elder priests would descend into the tomb, sustained only by baskets of food lowered in (and by servitor robots in later years). The priesthood of Death would die, taking with it its knowledge and wealth, in commemoration of death. A new temple would be built on top of the tomb.

The Goddess who protected this edifice is gone. The treasures are tempting enough, but the true treasures are the secrets buried in ancient tomes, secrets that could reveal why the world broke, how to fix it, and what made the gods so powerful. They lie unprotected by anything more threatening the clockwork gaurdians, the occasional trap, and angry mobs of concerned worshipers who figure out what you're doing. And maybe a few left-over divine servitors. And maybe the priests are some sort of undead. That wouldn't happen, would it?