Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
Fred Skin

Default GURPS 1st Ed pdf

I have the Autoduel 1e reprint & I was wondering if a GURPS 1e Basic pdf will be offered or is 3e close enough?
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
hal

Default Re: GURPS 1st Ed pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Skin View Post
I have the Autoduel 1e reprint & I was wondering if a GURPS 1e Basic pdf will be offered or is 3e close enough?
3rd edition is close enough. In a way, first edition can be thought of as GURPS LITE, in the sense that it was bare bones. 2nd came out almost immediately there after offering more substance. Third edition, Third edition revised refined the Material more and made some cosmetic changes - as best as I can recall. Then the compendium books came out that took GURPS material from various world books and collected them all together in one place (Compendium I), or offered newer more refined game mechanics (Compendium II).

Hope this helps
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
LokRobster

One huge difference in 3rd Ed is Ranged weapon stats For 1e GURPS, which are really a focus in AutoDuel.
Seems like I’ve ran across an Update document that had a decent conversion, but I can’t recall where. A Roleplayer article perhaps?
My original copy of GURPS Humanx has the weapon table page with my pencil scribble updates (circa 1999) where I wrote in a bunch of 3e firearm and ultra tech stats for all the guns/beamers.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:58 AM   #4
Pursuivant

Like they said.

The most important GURPS 1E difference is the way that ranged weapons are treated. It makes slightly more sense for muscle-powered missile weapons but falls down badly for firearms and ultratech weapons.

Given that GURPS 2E Autoduel, 1st Ed. mostly use "generic" stats for weapons, you can very easily convert the weapons to 3E standards.

For example, treat an Autoduel HMG as a .50 HMG.

As a guess for how to convert from 1E to 3E

Type of damage remains the same although Crush damage from Guns turns into Small Piercing, Piercing, or Large Piercing based on gun caliber. Special damage turns into Crushing (Explosive), Burn, Corrosive, or Toxic based on type.

Damage dice remain the same, although "Amt" is now recorded in terms of 1d6 dice of damage. E.g. 3 = 3d.

Ignore P-B and Inc. stats.

1/2D and Max remain unchanged.

HP for vehicular weapons should remain unchanged if you're using the Autoduel 1E vehicle creation rules.

Note that using GURPS 3E damage numbers and armor penetration rules makes weapons much more deadly as compared to Car Wars.

GURPS Autoduel 2E uses the GURPS 3E vehicle generation and weapon rules. That's an entirely different topic.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Note that using GURPS 3E damage numbers and armor penetration rules makes weapons much more deadly as compared to Car Wars.
Rouchly, car armor from AD 1e should be multiplied by 10 for 3e weapons.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Stormcrow

I, for one, would like to see a PDF of the first edition just as a way to follow the game's evolution. I've never even seen a copy of the first edition in person, let alone read it. I know that's not enough of an interest for SJG to invest the time and money required to publish such a thing, so I don't expect to ever see it.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
David Johansen

Second edition just fixes some erratta and adds cardboard covers to the booklets.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I've never even seen a copy of the first edition in person, let alone read it.
They can be had from eBay at semi-reasonable prices, if you're prepared to wait for one to come along.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They can be had from eBay at semi-reasonable prices, if you're prepared to wait for one to come along.
I've seen. But I could never justify to myself spending more than a few dollars just to examine how the game was put together in the early days.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
Fred Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
GURPS Autoduel 2E uses the GURPS 3E vehicle generation and weapon rules. That's an entirely different topic.
Yeah I had Autoduel 2e for awhile and Autoduel 1e is WAY more accessible.
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 1e