Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Dolarre

Default New Magical perk

The DFRPG finally separated out Jet spells into their own class of spell. I think this is a great idea, something I have been doing informally for a long time in my games. Unfortunately, this leaves a Jet spells at a tiny disadvantage compared to their other battle ready spell classes. There is Blocking Spell Mastery, Area Spell Mastery, Melee Spell Mastery, and Missile Spell Mastery - all perks available to increase the power of spells in their respective classes.

But what about Jet Spell Mastery? What would that look like? I am interested if anyone besides myself has looked into this hole in Jet spell capability and what their thoughts might be to fill it. My first musings are below, but I'm not sure if I have the power level right?

Jet Spell Mastery
When maintaining a jet spell a caster must maintain the energy cost at the level of his previous turn, or lower. He may not increase the amount of energy used in the spell to gain additional damage or reach. You have learned how to bypass this restriction. After casting, at any point when you maintain the jet spell, you may increase or decrease the amount of energy invested in the spell to the maximum or minimum possible.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments,
Dolarre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Bicorn

Default Re: New Magical perk

Jet spells certainly deserve more love, but "<foo> Spell Mastery" is not a very good naming scheme in my opinion; it doesn't really give any clue to what the perk actually does. I'd call the suggested perk "Extensible Jet" or something like that.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Jets can generally benefit from the options of melee attacks, which means that you could potentially use DWA (Jet) and Rapid Attack (Jet). If you want, you could even potentially design versions of cinematic skills that work with Jets, such as Breaking Blow and Power Attack. Imagine a 3d burning attack from Flame Jet given (5) armor divisor with Breaking Blow (Jet) or boosted to 9d with Power Blow (Jet). In the case of Jet Spell Mastery, I would have it just allow the caster to ignore maintained Jet spells for the purpose of the penalty for casting other spells.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Dolarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post

<<interesting ideas>>

In the case of Jet Spell Mastery, I would have it just allow the caster to ignore maintained Jet spells for the purpose of the penalty for casting other spells.
That’s just a Reduced Footprint perk. I’m trying to find a neat unique to Jet spell upgrade.
Dolarre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #5
Bicorn

Oh, and I recall there was an earlier discussion on this forum where the idea of a perk that lets you attack with a jet on the same turn you cast it was brought up. I suggested Blitz Spell as the name.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #6
malloyd

One option might be to uncouple Reach and Damage - say you'd like to cause only a little damage to something 6 hexes away, or a lot to a close target (though since it's unclear how long reach jets are *supposed* to interact with rules for using long weapons at closer reaches, or in close combat, deciding how it changes with a perk isn't totally straightforward either).
Old 02-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

What about just having Jet Spell Mastery halve the maintain cost (rounded up) for Jet spells before skill reductions?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote