Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #221
Litvyak

Default Re: What will you not allow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Since it came up recently, I don't allow people to have abilities that make their turns take forever, so no your tentacle monster can't have Extra Attack 11.
Thankfully I haven't had this come up as a GM, but I've seen it from the perspective of another player at the table... and yeah... let's just say that my feelings towards those sorts of builds can't be expressed in language suitable for this forum.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #222
AlexanderHowl

What would that build be? I am imagining Extra Arms 10 (Extra-Flexible, +50%; Long, Reach 1, +100%) [250] and Extra Attack 11 [275]. It would honestly be much cheaper to buy Extra Attack 11 (Multi-Strike, +20%) [330] and, while it would not benefit grappling, it would not be apparent.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #223
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
What would that build be? I am imagining Extra Arms 10 (Extra-Flexible, +50%; Long, Reach 1, +100%) [250] and Extra Attack 11 [275]. It would honestly be much cheaper to buy Extra Attack 11 (Multi-Strike, +20%) [330] and, while it would not benefit grappling, it would not be apparent.
Part of the issue here is that Extra Arms is probably giving too little benefit for the points, at least at high levels. I can see the argument that 10 points is reasonable for a third arm, but I have strong doubts that 10 extra arms are worth 100 points. There's a case of diminishing returns here. If I had the chance to revise Extra Arms, I'd price it using the Speed/Range table, at 10 points per +1 on the Size line, which would give Extra Arms equal to the Linear Measurement-2 value. So level 1 would still give 1 extra arm, level 2 would give 3 arms, while by level 5 you'd be getting 13 arms. The benefit here is that you can just look at the total number of arms you have, and get the corresponding SM to multiply the level of the advantage by.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #224
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
This was 3e so these all worked out a little differently.

However you do it, what would be apparent is how Steve's turn takes forever.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #225
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
However you do it, what would be apparent is how Steve's turn takes forever.
So, I just do it as an AoE, or rapid-fire attack as an alternate ability of the extra arms. It ain't RAW, but it's faster.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #226
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
So, I just do it as an AoE, or rapid-fire attack as an alternate ability of the extra arms. It ain't RAW, but it's faster.
Well, none of that was really in 3e, and hindsight is 20/20 besides.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #227
Litvyak

Quote:
The build that I witnessed had nothing to do with tentacles, but the end result was the same. It was a combination of multiple attacks and imbuements cast on each of those attacks to the tune of the player needing to make like a dozen rolls every turn before damage. I only played in a few sessions of that campaign, but I spent like half of every session watching that one player roll dice.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #228
AlexanderHowl

Yes, I think that, as a GM, I would have ruled that his attacks would occur in a group. I would have given him +1 skill per attack (making it potentially superior to Rapid Fire) and told him that he landed one attack for every point he succeeded on the attack (up to his number of attacks). Their targets would avoid one attack per point that they succeeded by on their defense. I would have additionally rolled all of the damage together and subtracted (target's DR * # of successful attacks) from the total damage. Instead of having twelve different attacks and twelve different defenses, you would have one attack and one defense.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #229
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I have had players grumble about GM calls (rule 0) when they owned the particular book and I didn't.....
Oh, I know that kind of player. The worst was "It is the GM's responsibility to pirate the books he doesn't have" (the player's own words verbatim; "responsibility to pirate") when I have a house/table rule of "if I don't have the book, you can't have anything from it." Fortunately, I have most of the relevant books for most campaigns in GURPS, not so in a D&D3.X/Pathfinder game. Most players are happy to share the books or get me a copy for a lot of stuff, but that one guy... *ugh*.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #230
Tomsdad

One thing on the tweaking as you go and that leaving the players on uncertain ground when it comes to the system and game. I guess I'm lucky that I have been running games for the same group for a long time. So in terms of the above this means:

1). we have pretty similar game expectations and tastes that mesh pretty well.

2). to sound naff for a second, my players kinda trust me to do it

However I do realise that I'm lucky to be in thsi situation, and the two points can't be assumed. But even saying all that we still talk about expectation and styles before the play starts.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote