Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Unconsciousness from Nonlethal Electrical Damage? (Stun Guns, TASERs, Neurolashes)

Greetings, all!

Both B432 and folk wisdom says that Nonlethal Electrical Damage can cause effects from stunning to unconsciousness. However, it seems that neither B432 nor the specific rules for said weapons (Stun Gun on B274 [5], TASER on Mysteries 114 and HT89, non- Neurolash on UT165/UT121 [except for the Unconsciousness model]) support a chance of a target falling unconsciousness from the shock.
At first I considered just assuming that failure by 5 or worse is grounds for unconsciousness even if the primary effect does not cause it. Or, even if it does (setting being TL9^ with some advancements, TL9^ neurolashes' primary effects only last 1 second on a standard failure instead of a MoS×minutes default the TL10 ones have). But then I wondered if it is perhaps too harsh, since most of those weapons have a -3 to -5 penalty to the target's HT roll. What seems the most realistic chance of unconsciousness from exposure to a Drive Stun shock (short or continuous), or from a neurolash Agony effect?

Tangential rant: TASER stats in Mysteries and High-Tech differ significantly. Surely the top-of-the line TL8 M26 can't be less accurate than the generic model from Mysteries.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Aneirin

Default Re: Unconsciousness from Nonlethal Electrical Damage? (Stun Guns, TASERs, Neurolashes

I must admit I am not too familiar with tazers, however from what I have seen (from numerous youtube vids, and through other sources) is that tazers and electrical weapons don't cause stunning or unconsciousness.

I mean if hit by an electric bolt or grabbing hold of an electric fence meant to stop an elephant you would (but that would be due to damage and taking a major wound)

But normal tazers and stun guns seem just to put you to the ground and make you wriggle and writhe and convulse and incapicitate (the incapacitating effect being the stun affect)

Again though, never been shot with a tazer by myself and never shot anyone either so I am not sure!
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Unconsciousness from Nonlethal Electrical Damage? (Stun Guns, TASERs, Neurolashes

Household current wasn't enough to knock me unconscious when I was a toddler, except once out of the many times I poked metal objects in outlets.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Anthony

Realistically, electricity is only going to knock you unconscious if it goes through the brain; a tazer affects those tissues near the electrodes and the path between them. Mechanics-wise, do those attacks cause fatigue damage? (I don't have HT immediately accessible).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Realistically, electricity is only going to knock you unconscious if it goes through the brain; a tazer affects those tissues near the electrodes and the path between them. Mechanics-wise, do those attacks cause fatigue damage? (I don't have HT immediately accessible).
I'm talking not only about the direct effect of electric current, but the overall effect of shock. Including the consequence of Agony/Ecstasy/Seizure afflictions of neurolashes, or the Drive Stun effect (which is not the same as TASER's stun/paralysis, judging by reports).
No, no FP damage that I know of.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I'm talking not only about the direct effect of electric current, but the overall effect of shock.
The overall effect of shock is to cause seizures in afflicted tissue, possibly to inflict pain or other nervous system effects, and if intense enough cause burns. Other than the victim fainting, this won't cause unconsciousness unless the current passes through the brain or vitals, at which point you aren't really talking non-lethal shock.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The overall effect of shock is to cause seizures in afflicted tissue, possibly to inflict pain or other nervous system effects, and if intense enough cause burns. Other than the victim fainting, this won't cause unconsciousness unless the current passes through the brain or vitals, at which point you aren't really talking non-lethal shock.
Closest reply to accurate that I like.
Its rare for either device to knock someone out. If they do its from shock or exhaustion. Its more a temporary partial paralysis and seizure kind of thing. And that is not even reliable so the HT roll to resist with modifers is workable
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Closest reply to accurate that I like.
Its rare for either device to knock someone out. If they do its from shock or exhaustion. Its more a temporary partial paralysis and seizure kind of thing. And that is not even reliable so the HT roll to resist with modifers is workable
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Feinting or other similar unconsciousness from shock/pain/sensory overload.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Feinting or other similar unconsciousness from shock/pain/sensory overload.
Typically that's a failed fright check or the victim having low pain threshold.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Maz

Quote:
Wouldn't be a stretch to say it happens on a crit failure (fail by 10). With a -5 penalty to HT this happens on 15+ for most ordinary people (1/20 people).

Someone with Low Pain Threshold would roll at -10 and are extremely likely to fall unconscious. If the tazer is applied to the skull or vitals you might add the normal rules for Major Wound to those locations (-10 for skull and -5 to vitals)... Perhaps say it has to penetrate the DR:2 of skull in order to get the full -10.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical damage, neurolash, stun gun, taser, unconscious, unconsciousness