Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Elder Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post

So there is no “stars are aligned” in DF?
Sure! It's just that the stars aren't big fusion reactors sitting vast distances apart, their light reaching the observer countless eons later. They're something else. They can still move around, serve as omens, and govern all manner of magical cycles. What they are isn't really important for that . . . Actually, it's more interesting if the stars are up there with the gods, being influenced by divine will and magic.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Sure! It's just that the stars aren't big fusion reactors sitting vast distances apart, their light reaching the observer countless eons later. They're something else. They can still move around, serve as omens, and govern all manner of magical cycles. What they are isn't really important for that . . . Actually, it's more interesting if the stars are up there with the gods, being influenced by divine will and magic.
Or if you can send adventurers up there to smash the epicycles with a big-ass hammer.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

My name is Video, and I shall rise unto the heavens and kill that evil star named Radio!
No idea why my mind went in that direction.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #14
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If the gods control the sun moon and stars couldn’t there be some place in the heavens beyond what the gods control? Some inky blackness where the Elder Things lurk? Maybe the gods have tried to shunt them out of creation by creating dimensional barriers but the Elder Things sometimes come through. This way Creation is dwarfed by the vastness of space beyond what the gods control and it makes man insignificant in an uncaring universe.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #15
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
My name is Video, and I shall rise unto the heavens and kill that evil star named Radio!
No idea why my mind went in that direction.
Wow. That was awful and awesome (full of awe and then some?) at the same time.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
If the gods control the sun moon and stars couldn’t there be some place in the heavens beyond what the gods control?
Such a place wouldn't be in the heavens, sort of by definition.

Also, remember that being outside of time and space may not be very hard (if you're using Ptolomy's spheres, the universe is 73 million miles in diameter).
Old 08-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Such a place wouldn't be in the heavens, sort of by definition.

Also, remember that being outside of time and space may not be very hard (if you're using Ptolomy's spheres, the universe is 73 million miles in diameter).
Yes. At this point, it's just a matter of what you mean by "beyond time and space." It could be outside the final sphere or accessible only by powerful gates or only in places where magic (or psi) has gone horribly wrong.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Murder the gods and topple their thrones. Ascend heaven through violence.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #19
Dalin

I'm currently running my DFRPG group through Mirror of the Fire Demon and am considering how to reskin things a bit to tie in some Elder Thing action (for the PC mentioned in my first post). Maybe the mirror isn't really about a fire demon... but some sort of portal to an entity beyond space and time. (Maybe Emir al-Nahr knows this, or maybe he's been duped.) I've already had a few encounters with some relatively normal demonic type things (flaming skulls, flame servant demon), so I'll need to make sense of that. But I could imagine the final confrontation being less about flame servants and more about eyes of death (or demons from between the stars, etc.). Maybe the Emir is an accomplished demonologist in his own right, capable of summoning flame servants and whatnot, but is foolishly attempting to gain more power through things man was not meant to know. Might need some leverage in demonic politics and thinks the mirror of the hot squid will give him the edge he needs.

Hmm. Just mulling aloud. Carry on.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #20
cbower

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Murder the gods and topple their thrones. Ascend heaven through violence.
It worked for Zeus.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elder thing