Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #821
Shrale

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

I don't think I've ever NOT seen it work :)

Even data mastered it from Spock in that one episode :)

>
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #822
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Better to go with:

Affliction 1 (HT; Contact Agent, -30%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee Attack, C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Reliable 10, +50%; Unconsciousness, +200%) [39]

That lets Spock roll Will+10 against his opponent's HT. While that may seem overpowered, remember that the Rule of 16 applies here. If you really want to spend 50 points, buy 11 levels of Rule of 17 (from Power-Ups 2), to bring it to "Rule of 27". Now that's nice and munchkinly, which is appropriate for the Mary Sue that is Spock. :)

(And yes, I'm aware that that perk isn't intended to go up that high -- my second suggestion is tongue-in-cheek.)
Actually, I've got less of a problem with multiple levels of that Perk than with using Reliable on an Affliction in the first place. If Rule of 16 is in place, well, Spock probably has Will 16 anyway (it's just the SC roll for his mental disads is unrelated); if he needs to break Rule of 16, he can do so by buying up Will, with limitations if allowed, along with the Perk.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #823
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Better to go with:

Affliction 1 (HT; Contact Agent, -30%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee Attack, C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Reliable 10, +50%; Unconsciousness, +200%) [39]

That lets Spock roll Will+10 against his opponent's HT. While that may seem overpowered, remember that the Rule of 16 applies here. If you really want to spend 50 points, buy 11 levels of Rule of 17 (from Power-Ups 2), to bring it to "Rule of 27". Now that's nice and munchkinly, which is appropriate for the Mary Sue that is Spock. :)

(And yes, I'm aware that that perk isn't intended to go up that high -- my second suggestion is tongue-in-cheek.)
Or Fatigue Attack 25 (Must target neck, -50%*; Contact Agent, -30%; Melee attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [50]. This allows for a contact attack that must target the neck (a -5 to hit), stopped by any armor with DR1 or greater, doing an average of 87 FP damage, more than enough to knock out even the healthiest of humanoids. Possibly add in a modified No Wounding, -25%** to remove only the HP damage when FP is reduced below 0.

* - GM call, limitation cost based on the Partial DR limitation.

** - Since limitations can't total more than -80%, this wouldn't actually change the cost of the attack.

Last edited by cccwebs; 10-04-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Removed Accuracy from ability as it's not allowed
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #824
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Or Fatigue Attack 12 (Accurate 11, +55%; Must target neck, -50%*; Contact Agent, -30%; Melee attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [48]. This allows for a contact attack that must target the neck (a -5 to hit), stopped by any armor with DR1 or greater, doing an average of 42 FP damage, more than enough to knock out even the healthiest of humanoids. Possibly add in a modified No Wounding, -25%** to remove only the HP damage when FP is reduced below 0.

* - GM call, limitation cost based on the Partial DR limitation.

** - With this modifier the attack could be Fatigue Attack 25 (Accurate 11, +55%; Must Target Neck, -50%; contact Agent, -30%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%; No HP wounding, -25%) [50], for an attack doing an average of 87 FP damage.
You can't combine Accuracy with Melee.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #825
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
You can't combine Accuracy with Melee.
Ack. My GCA 4 faile me (it didn't warn me of the invalid combination). OK, so we remove accurate and have an attack that is at -5 to hit. I'll edit the post later to reflect the change.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #826
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Ack. My GCA 4 faile me (it didn't warn me of the invalid combination). OK, so we remove accurate and have an attack that is at -5 to hit. I'll edit the post later to reflect the change.
I like that, Spock is generally catching people surprised and can do this with Evaluates and Telegraphic.

Does anyone remember him doing it in combat where he wasn't surprising someone?
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #827
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrale View Post
I don't think I've ever NOT seen it work :)

Even data mastered it from Spock in that one episode :)

>
Spock in McCoy's body in one of the movies.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #828
Ragitsu
Banned

I wasn't quite sure where to put this.

-

The Thermorphinitron [8 points]

Quote:
  • Temperature Control 3 (60 degrees colder or warmer, changes at 6 degrees per second) [15 points]
  • Emanation -20%
  • DR 25 machine, SM-7, Only taken by stealth or trickery -30%
This gadget looks like a very streamlined 1950's science-fiction version of a radiator. It can create enough cold or heat to be significant enough on a personal scale (which includes expected effects such as frost/evaporation), and is small enough to be carried without burden. Thanks to an advanced power source, the Thermophinitron can run for many thousands of years.

Last edited by Ragitsu; 04-13-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #829
cccwebs

Cloud of Death

Toxic 1 (Area Effect (8), +150%; Extended Duration (Permanent with Dispelling Conditions), +150%; Homing (Detect Humans), +70%; Increased Range (1/2D Only) (x10), +15%; Mobile (+16), +640%; Persistant, +40%; Respiratory Agent, +50%; Selective Area, +20%) [50]

User creates a cloud that seeks out his enemies. The cloud hase a Move 16 and will follow the closest enemy until that enemy is dead. The cloud can be dispersed by any method that purifies the air.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #830
vierasmarius

Komodo Dragon Bite
Fangs [2]
Affliction 4 (Susceptible: Bleeding -5, +20%; Follow-up, +0%) [48]

Inspired by the thread discussing more realistic bleeding and infection rules. Very simple advantage, but sure to surprise those DF adventurers who forget that bleeding even exists. I'm not entirely sure about the cost of having -5 to bleeding rolls, but I priced it as Susceptibility to a common threat.

EDIT: On second thought, it could just afflict them with Hemophilia for 4 more points... a much more serious disadvantage.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 05-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers