Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #771
Bruno

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

From this post - see for details and discussion.

A Thousand Curses (+130%/-80%): Affliction 1 (Generic Curse; Accessability: Requires Recitation of Magical Words in Auld Celtic, -10%; Based on targets Will, +20%; Magical, -10%; Malediction 2, +150%; Reverse Vision-Based, -20%) [23] + Cosmic Modular Ability (13; Accessability: Only for building on Generic Curse, -10%; Focus Limited: Only for creating negative traits, -10%; Trait Limited: Only Afflictions with Malediction and Based on Will and Reverse Vision-Based, -50%; Magical, -10%) [26]. 49 points.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #772
Fnordianslip

It's Showtime! [50 Points]

Mind Control [10]
Accessibility (Only to make someone dance with you), -50%
Link to Summonable Dance Troupe, +10%
Maximum Duration 10 minutes, -50%
Reliable +2, +10%

Summonable Dance Troupe [39]
Minion, +0%
Summonable, +100%
Group Size 11-20, *8
Maximum Duration 10 minutes, -50%
Link to Mind Control, +10%
Frequency: roll of 15 or less (Almost all the time), *3

Perk ambient music [1]

This insidious ability allows you to force someone to dance with you. Once you begin dancing, a group of 11-20 additional dances start to pop out of the woodwork. Pretty soon, there's a musical number happening! The evil part is that each one of the dancers has the ability to use mind control on someone watching! The suggestion must be worked into the song. Usually (15 or less) dancers show up. Sometimes though, it just ends up being a dancing duet of you and the victim of your mind control.

The Dancers [25 Point allies]
Attractive [4]
Mind Control Talent 4 [20]
Mind Control [35]
Suggestion, -40%
Onset (Exposure Time), -30%
Independent, +40% (only +40% because the dancers can only affect one person each.)

Perk Built in Soundsystem [1]
Perk Costume appropriate for the dance at hand [1]

Slave Mentality [-40]
No sense of humor [-10]

EDIT: Usually one of the dancers uses mind control on your original victim.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:48 AM   #773
Blackseasofinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
It's Showtime! [50 Points]...
And now its branched-off power!

You Got Served (+165%): Affliction 2
Accessibility: After you beat your opponent in the dance-off (your dance-check beats theirs), -10%;
Based on Will, +20%;
Biological, -10%;
Chronic Depression, +15%;
Malediction, +100%;
Reliable, +10, +50%

Total: [53]

If you defeat your opponent in the dance-off, they must make a contest of Wills against you (you're at +10, and they're at -1; remember that the Rule of 16 applies though -- also, you're at -1 per yard away from them). If you win, they are chronically depressed about losing the dance off, going into suicidal fits.
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #774
ham2anv

Sleeping Beauty Curse (+420%): Affliction 1 (Accessibility, Inanimate objects only, -40%; Advantage, see below, +320%; Based on Will, +20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Malediction, +100%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Preparation Required, 10 minutes, -30%; Trigger, Lock of the target's hair, -40%) [52]. 52 points.

This 10-minute ritual turns an inanimate object into the bane of a single person's life. The ritual requires a lock of the target's hair. Roll Will; on a success, the object gains the following advantage:
Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, One target only, -80%; Always On, -10%; Aura, +80%; Blood Agent, -40%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Incapacitation, Sleep, +150%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%) [32]
If he should ever touch the object, the target must make a HT roll or fall into a deep sleep from which he will wake only with the kiss of his true love. This effect is only triggered if the subject touches the cursed object with an open wound. (Many objects used for this curse have the capacity to draw blood on their own.) Note that the curse provides no means of life support for the subject; he may very well starve to death waiting for his true love.

The curse on the object is permanent but can be lifted by a legitimate and good-hearted cleric, who must make a Religious Ritual roll and spend 10 minutes blessing the object.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #775
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
You have no idea how long I've looked for that information... THANK YOU!

But that drops the ability out of this thread... darn.
I'm too lazy to do the math right now, but I think Low or No Signature should bring it into range, and might be appropriate for Deathtouch, anyway.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #776
Atreyu_Hibiki

Default Potionmaker for Alchemists

Aaaand... I'm back! (I'm in college, so I haven't been able to spend a whole lot of time, and certainly haven't been able to work on The Book.)

Anyway, worked this up, and I thought it was good enough for general perusal:

Potionmaker (+400%):
Affliction 1 (Triggered Delay, until potion is drunk, +50%; Blood Agent, -40%; Preparation Time, 1 minute, -20%; Selectivity, +10%; and +400% worth of effect choices) [50]

Notes: You can conjure a variety of small vials of liquid that can have a myriad of effects when consumed! Very useful for creating fantasy alchemists.
The key modifier in this ability is Selectivity. With Selectivity, you can choose which of the various enhancements get included into each vial. In addition, with Triggered Delay, you "fire" the ability as soon as the potion is made, but it doesn't "go off" until someone drinks the potion. Therefore, you can prepare a batch of the potions at the beginning of the adventure, and use them throughout, but remember to keep track of how many of which kind of potions you have prepared. Preparation Time is included for the purpose of keeping an adventuring alchemist from conjuring up a bunch of potions for everybody in the middle of a battle. GMs may wish to require a Uses Per Day limitation to further prevent abuse.
Drinking multiple potions with the same effect (even if they're different potions) will not stack! If you craft a potion that grants Perception +1, and a potion that grants Perception +1 and Sharp Claws, and drink them one after another, you will only get Per +1 and Sharp Claws, not Per +2 and Sharp Claws.
I recommend choosing a mixture of advantages and at least one disadvantage or negative status effect for the purpose of "sabotaging" a seemingly positive potion. You may also wish to include Extended Duration to lengthen the effects of your potions.
This ability does not require the user to have access to a kitchen, laboratory, or any particular supplies. These can be extra limitations, however, which could range from -5% for requiring access to a kitchen or common food supplies, to -10% for requiring access to a kitchen and expending common ingredients or requiring expensive, hard-to-find components.
There is no reason to cap this ability at 50 points, or even to start there! As you gain character points, your potionmaker character can experiment with his potions, studying Extended Duration (to increase the length of time the effects remain), new effects, and even their failures could increase their skills by adding disadvantages or negative effects to pour down the bad guys' gullets.

Potionmaker is based on the Cookie abilities inspired by Almafeta quite a while back.

Example Effects set 1: Extended Duration x3, +20%; Disadvantage: Quadriplegic, +80%; Penetrating Vision 1, +100%; Ablative DR 5, +100%; Sharp Claws, +50%; Perception +1, +50% +400%.
This effects set would allow you to create, for example, the Potion of Otherworldly Sight, the Potion of Toughness, and the Potion of Claws. You could also create, for example, the Weakening Potion of Toughness, which would grant the Ablative DR, but would also make the drinker Quadriplegic for the duration. When the target drinks the potion, they must make a HT roll. The effects last for 3 minutes for each point by which they miss the roll.

Example Effects set 2: Extended Duration x3, +20%; Requires kitchen and common ingredients, -10%; Burning Attack 1D, +50%; Pacifism, Total Nonviolence, +30%; Fangs, +20%; Speak With Land Animals, +150%; Obscure Sight 2, +40%; Truthfulness, CR 6, +100%
This effects set would allow the drinker of a potion to fire a single-shot Burning Attack; talk to land animals or grow fangs for a while.

I came across this after fiddling with the Cookie effect utilizing Modular Abilities, but that got ridiculously expensive... Selectivity is very effective and balanced!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #777
cherez

Kami Kaze Orphans
Ally Group (100 orphans; 25% starting points; constantly available 4x) [48]

Orphan template: [+17]
Selfless (CR 15) [-15]
Slave Mentality [-40]
Innate Attack 8d burn (Explosion +100%, Emanation -20%) [72]

You have a band of orphans that follow you around. They serve you unquestioningly and have explosives throughout their body that they can activate at will. They are of course destroyed in the explosion, but are willing to give their lives for whatever greater cause you tell them about.

You might tweak the orphans based on campaign point value. Orphans also tend to be poor and sickly. You might dump points to raise the damage of their explosives. I don't think explosion + emanation is supposed to damage the user (unless I really misread Powers), but I couldn't find how to make an emanation affect the user.
cherez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #778
Veton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherez
I don't think explosion + emanation is supposed to damage the user (unless I really misread Powers), but I couldn't find how to make an emanation affect the user.
Put the limitation "Costs HP" (-10% per level) with enough damage occuring to the user to put them to -5x HP.
Veton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #779
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherez
Kami Kaze Orphans
Orphan template: [+17]
Selfless (CR 15) [-15]
Slave Mentality [-40]
Innate Attack 8d burn (Explosion +100%, Emanation -20%) [72]
I'd reconsider Selfless and Slave Mentality, and maybe just take Extreme Fanaticism (The PC). I'd also add Minion, so that you won't get docked points for mistreating your allies, and have some justification in automatically replacing "used up" orphans.

If this were a serious ability ( :) ), I'd actually prefer using Innate Attack as the basic advantage in the first place, and have the detonating orphans as a special effect.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #780
Captain-Captain

There may be a similar power already on the list but:

Attack the Chi 7 pts/lvl (Melee Attack: Reach C; Cosmic: Irresistible attack; Cannot Parry; Takes Recharge (15 seconds); Limited Use (twice per day); Chi; Costs 4 Fatigue (+4); Partial Dice (Does only 1 pt); ST Based) [7]

Basically the Trained by a Master Martial artist has to get into close combat, make the standard IQ roll to activate a power, make a melee attack. Using the power forgoes any opportunity to parry an incoming attack. make a parry, lose this use of the power. 1 point plus normal HTH damage goes striaght through DR. It's also limited to twice a day, and at a 15 second recharge rate, effectively once per combat.

Additional levels only add an additional point of damage. You are much better off buying off the 1 pt of damage limitation.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers