Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #761
ham2anv

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Another gem.

Blood Golem Heartstone
Ally (HT+1; 50% of starting points; Link, +10%; Minion, +0%; Selectivity, +10%; Summonable, +100%; Trigger, sword deals 0 or more points of damage, -20%) [4]

If the sword attack deals exactly 0 points of damage or more after DR, the victim must make a HT+1 roll. On a failure, his spilled blood animates as a blood golem under the control of the sword's wielder. When the golem reaches -HP hit points, it vanishes and cannot be summoned again for (2xHP) minutes. The same blood golem will always be summoned from the same victim's blood. (At GM's discretion, close blood relatives may all summon the same blood golem. This is especially common in twins.)

Note: Replacing the frequency of appearance roll with a HT+1 roll is a special effect worth 0 points. On average, a HT 10 individual will fail this roll 37.5% of the time, the same frequency as a 9 or less on the frequency of appearance roll. Obviously, this ability will work better on low-HT victims than on high-HT victims, but on average, it should work out about the same.

Use the following stats for an average blood golem (for a wielder of 150 points).

Attributes: ST 8 [-20]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 6 [-80]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-3/1d-2; HP 8 [0]; Will 6 [0]; Per 9 [15]; FP --; Speed 6.00 [5]; Move 6; Dodge 9; SM-2 [0].
Advantages: Conjured Servant [20]; Doesn't Breathe [20]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]; Injury Tolerance (Defuse) [100]; Pressure Support 3 [15]; Slippery 5 [10].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Monstrous) [-20]; Cannot Speak [-15]; Invertebrate [-20]; Reprogrammable [-10]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15]
Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #762
ham2anv

Revising the original Gem Sword, because I realized that I've been using mental abilities in the last few gems I've made, and I'm going to be using more in the future. Also, the Innate Attacks needed asymmetric Links. Now a 75-point package.

Gem Sword (75 points)
Impaling Attack 3 pts (Gadget, Gem Sword, -60%; Link, +20%; Melee, Reach 1,2, ST-based, +80%; Nuisance Effect, requires two free hands, -5%) [9]
Impaling Attack 2 pts (Gadget, Gem Sword, -60%; Link, +20%; Melee, Reach 1, ST-based, +75%) [2]
Cutting Attack 2 pts (Gadget, Gem Sword, -60%; Link, +20%; Melee, Reach 1,2, ST-based, +80%; Nuisance Effect, requires two free hands, -5%) [1]
Cutting Attack 1 pt (Gadget, Gem Sword, -60%; Link, +20%; Melee, Reach 1, ST-based, +75%) [1]
Modular Abilities (Gem Slots; short list; costly and slow; Gadget, Gem Sword, -60%; Physical and Mental, +100%; Requires IQ roll, -10%; Trait Limited, Alternate attacks or attacks linked to Innate Attacks only, -30%) [57]
One 5-point gem permanently mounted [5]

Gadget Limitation: The Gem Sword is SM -1, has DR 7, and can be stolen with a Quick Contest of ST. -60%
Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #763
ham2anv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
Friend ham, I hope you don't mind. I salvaged these from here, as they were pretty nifty and tallied to... 50 points!

If you want to change the notes, please do. I had to guess as to what the Rare Environment was on Electric Stun, for example.
I've been going back through this thread, and I realized I never saw/responded to this. The stun was actually supposed to be dependent on an existing power source (i.e. wall socket, power line, etc.) to channel electricity from.

Here's what they should look like.

Electric Stun (+25%): Affliction 4 (HT-3; Accurate, +1, +5%; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Increased 1/2D Range, ×5, +10%; Environmental, Rare, -40%) [50]
Notes: Draws electricity from an existing source (wall socket, power line) and fires it in a stunning burst. Armor provides only limited protection.

Power Drain (+400%): Affliction 1 (HT; Malediction 2, +150%; Unconsciousness, +200%; Accessibility, only on Electrical, -20%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Selective Area, +20%) [50]
Notes: Drains power from electrical devices in an area. Each targeted electrical object must make a Quick Contest of HT against the character's Will. If the device fails the Quick Contest, it shuts off, with any consequences that follow. This works against anything from TVs to toasters to menacing robots.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #764
Phoenix_Dragon

Okay, I suppose I should add this one in:

Hellstorm: [72 points]
3d Burning Attack (Inaccurate -3, -15%; Increased Range, 1/2D x10, overall x100 (Final range: 10,000 yards), +75%; Takes Extra Time 5, -50%; Takes Recharge, 1 hour, -30%; Area Effect, 1024 yard radius, +500%; Persistant, +40$; Extended Duration x30, +60%; Costs Hit Points 10, -100%; Backlash, Terrible Pain, -60%; Requires IQ roll (Actually skill roll, Demonology or other appropriate skill), -10%; All-Out, -25%; Nuisance effect, backlash and HP cost always take effect)
(Alternate versions: 1d Hellstorm [25 points], 2d Hellstorm [48 points])

A very powerful bit of infernal magic, granted only by the most powerful and destructive of demons. Once the user begins to focus on the attack, black shadows like smoke begin to wash over his body (Particularly the arms), while flickering dark energy shoots out between him and a point half a mile above his point of aim. The effects of the attack's charging are dramatic, faint flickers of lightning-like flame arcing across the sky at first, the air swirling as dark clouds quickly form, circling the area of attack like a hurricane up above, a circle well over a mile across. The lightning-like flames pick up more and more, begining to form demonic paterns in their travels.

The glow of flames begin to show beneath the dark shadowy smoke wreathing the caster, a similar glow growing in the swirling storm of clouds over the target. About 16 seconds after the casting starts, the clouds erupt in flame, the tracings of demonic symbols above solidify and flare for a moment, and are suddenly blotted out by a massive column of hellfire pouring down to the ground far below. For 5 minutes, the area is incinerated. Practically nothing can survive the flames, and nothing can grow in the scorched soil. Even after the flames cease, the attack will likely fuel massive forest fires, further spreading devestation.

But, as should be expected of demonic magics, the caster is not left untouched. The glow of flames under the shadows erupt into true flames as the attack is completed, delivering major burns across the caster. No manner of protection can stop this damage. The burns this magic causes on the caster are exceptionaly painful, as well. Even worse, it is important that the caster complete the spell; if he is interupted, or even voluntarily halts his casting, the hellfire he is trying to channel burns him, exactly as if he had completed the spell.

Design notes: I know that using 5 levels of Takes Extra Time is somewhat debatable, as it's recommended to use no more than 2, but I wanted to make the attack take a longer amount of time to pull off... And EVERYONE who sees it going on is going to be going for that caster. A Pact limitation or appropriate power modifier is also quite likely. Also, I suggest using even nastier scatter due to its inaccuracy. Probably something like the square of the margin of failure.

This is actually a somewhat more powerful version of a spell in one of my campaigns... A spell that probably only one mortal being knows. Though one of the players may get the chance to learn an even more-limited version of the spell...
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #765
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon
Costs Hit Points 10, -100%; Backlash, Terrible Pain, -60%;... Nuisance effect, backlash and HP cost always take effect
I'd suggest to switch this NE for the NE: Obvious (due to energy display and special effects).

Of course the Backlash and HP Cost take effect - why should they not? Were the Backlash resistible, it would only give half the value (as per Powers). And the Costs HP is unavoidable anyway. As written, the NE is a bit pointless.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #766
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
I'd suggest to switch this NE for the NE: Obvious (due to energy display and special effects).

Of course the Backlash and HP Cost take effect - why should they not? Were the Backlash resistible, it would only give half the value (as per Powers). And the Costs HP is unavoidable anyway. As written, the NE is a bit pointless.
Except normally I would think someone could stop the attack before it goes off, or have it interupted, and not have the effects take place. Magic seems to support this, as you can stop casting a spell without having to pay its effects (It's a little less clear about interuption, however).

I had considered the "showiness" of the attack to be a special effect, but one could easily add on another ~5% NE for that, too.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #767
ham2anv

Another gem:

Red Ember

Fatigue Attack 1 pt (Cyclic, 7 1-second intervals, Resistable, +200%; Delay, Fixed, 3 seconds, +0%; Environmental, Target is wearing metal armor, -40%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%; Terminal Condition, -20%) [2]
Fatigue Attack 1 pt (Cyclic, 7 1-second intervals, Resistable, +200%; Delay, Fixed, 3 seconds, +0%; Environmental, Target is wearing metal armor, -40%; Melee Attack, Reach 1,2, -25%; Nuisence Effect, Requires two free hands, -5%; Terminal Condition, -20%) [2]

Touching the target causes his metal armor to heat up. After 3 seconds, armor has reached an intense level of heat, causing 1 FP of damage each second unless the target makes a HT roll. After 7 seconds, the armor begins to cool, returning to normal temperature after an additional 3 seconds. The heat is magical and will not burn skin in contact with the metal. Soaking the armor in water (i.e. jumping in a lake) will automatically end the effect.

Note: This is an alternate attack. The sword does no physical damage.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #768
ham2anv

Another gem:

Sparring Gem
Affliction 1 (Will; Accessibility, Target must be able to speak, -20%; Advantage, +70%; Based on Will, +20%; Melee Attack, Reach 1,2, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Requires two free hands, -5%; Reduced Duration, x1/30, -60%) [2]
Affliction 1 (Will; Accessibility, Target must be able to speak, -20%; Advantage, +70%; Based on Will, +20%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%; Reduced Duration, x1/30, -60%) [2]

With a touch, the target must make a Will roll or be forced to call out his attacks in a clear voice for 2 seconds for each point by which he missed his roll. Anyone within 2 yards who can hear and understand him can roll IQ against the target's Will. If the target loses this contest, his opponent gets +1 to all Active Defenses against him that turn.

Note: This is an alternate attack. The sword does no damage.

This affliction grants the following "advantage":

Affliction 1 (IQ; Accessibility, Language-dependent, -20%; Advantage, Enhanced defenses limited to a single target, +60%; Always On, -40%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Based on IQ, +20%; Emanation, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Ability makes you obvious, -5%; Reduced Duration, -60%; Sense-Based, Hearing, -20%) [7]
Old 03-31-2007, 07:36 AM   #769
ham2anv

"Just give me a name!" (-35%): Racial Memory (Active; Accessibility, Only for putting names to faces, -80%; Sense-based, Vision, Reversed, -20%; Reflexive, +40%; Reliable, +5, +25%) [26]. 26 points.

Whenever you see someone's face, whether in person or in a recording or reproduction (photograph, painting, video tape), the GM rolls your IQ+5. On a success, you know their name. Obviously, if you already know the person's name, the GM doesn't need to roll.

At the GM's discretion, a disguised character may roll Disguise as a Quick Contest against this ability. If you succeed on your roll but still lose this Quick Contest, you get the name of the person the character is impersonating (if any) or no name at all (if the character is in a non-specific disguise).

Last edited by ham2anv; 03-31-2007 at 10:08 AM.
ham2anv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #770
ham2anv

Ice Armor (-65%/+75%/+15%): DR 7 (Ablative, -80%; Force Field, +20%; Limited, Physical attacks only, -20%; Link, +10%; Nuisance Effect, makes you obvious, -5%; Switchable, +10%) [13] + DR 4 (Absorption, +80%; Force Field, +20%; Limited, cold, -40%; Link, +10%; Nuisance Effect, makes you obvious, -5%; Switchable, +10%) [35] + Temperature Tolerance 1 (Link, +10%; Nuisance Effect, makes you obvious, -5%; Switchable, +10%) [2]. 50 points.

You surround yourself in a field of chilling cold that protects your body and equipment. At full strength, it can freeze the moisture out of the air into a thick coating of ice that does not hamper movement but can stop physical attacks. While active, the field also absorbs cold-based attacks, using the energy to rebuild the ice layer that gets chipped away as it protects. Finally, the field of cold protects you from intense environmental heat as well.

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers