Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
GoblynByte

Default What's needed to edit data files...

The answer to this question may be something that is over my head, but nothing ventured and all that...

I once enjoyed editing data files for GCA's predecessor (GCB) but that was many moons ago. I don't seem to see the same ability in GCA.

What software/tool/magic ritual is used to edit the data files for GCA? I tried using just Wordpad to edit the text, but it denied me permission when I went to save the file. Do I need something considerably more advanced (read: expensive)?
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: What's needed to edit data files...

No, though I would recommend Notepad instead of Wordpad. Personally I use the completely free Notepad++ for maintaining all of the data files used by GCA.

The reason why you got the permission denied warning is because you were trying to save it back in the Program Files\GURPS Character Assistant 4\ folder. By default newer versions of Windows does not allow users to save, modify, or edit files in those directories without elevated permission. You should be able to save in the Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\data files\ folder and the data files you've saved will be made available in GCA4 with a slightly different color hightlighting in the Data Sets window.

There is a lot more information in the GCA FAQ post 12 and post 13
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
GoblynByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
No, though I would recommend Notepad instead of Wordpad. Personally I use the completely free Notepad++ for maintaining all of the data files used by GCA.

The reason why you got the permission denied warning is because you were trying to save it back in the Program Files\GURPS Character Assistant 4\ folder. By default newer versions of Windows does not allow users to save, modify, or edit files in those directories without elevated permission. You should be able to save in the Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\data files\ folder and the data files you've saved will be made available in GCA4 with a slightly different color hightlighting in the Data Sets window.

There is a lot more information in the GCA FAQ post 12 and post 13
Sir, you are a rock star. Always ready with answers. Thank you!!
A sense of obligation."
Old 08-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
zuljita

I like notepad++.
**edit Eric answered this more clearly than I did refer to his post. I started this and walked away, came back and finished it later**

The permission thing sounds like an issue with where the files are located. Note that anything in C:\program files or C:\program files (x86) is going to require administrator permissions to modify. My recommendation is to copy whatever file you are wanting to work with and paste it in c:\users\*your username*\documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\ before editing it.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
GoblynByte

Strangely enough, when I did an edit in Notepad instead of Wordpad, the permissions thing didn't come up.
A sense of obligation."