Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
JCD

Default Created Vs. Made

I don't know if I asked this before. The Alzheimers is kicking in, I guess.

Do you think there is a social distinction in Heaven or Hell between the Celestials which are Created (i.e. made by God) and those which are Made (created by an Archangel)

Would there be a power disparity? Is it possible that lacking action by Lucifer et al, Dissonance is impossible in a creature like Michael because of his origins?

How would such a disparity work out in RP?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Matthias Wasser

Default Re: Created Vs. Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Do you think there is a social distinction in Heaven or Hell between the Celestials which are Created (i.e. made by God) and those which are Made (created by an Archangel)
I imagine that's only the beginning. There's created vs. made vs. grown (from a reliever/imp/gremlin), lineage among the made, fallen/redeemed vs. native, pre/postlapsarian, and so on.

It's a very interesting question, but I don't really have an interesting answer ready. Created vs. Made seems like one of the less pertinent ones, since as far as I know all the directly created are incredibly ancient powerful Superiors more or less in their own social categories.

Quote:
Is it possible that lacking action by Lucifer et al, Dissonance is impossible in a creature like Michael because of his origins?
Lucifer et al. kinda answer the question on their own, don't they? Lucifer and Baal were directly created by God, I'm pretty sure at least some of Kobal, Andrealphus, and Beleth were, and Kronos is God (at least to the extent that Yves is God and Yves/Kronos are anything comprehensible at all.)
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
PenitentDemon

dont forget Created vs born It says clearly that in heaven at least their is at least a mild social disparity, not discrimination as much as many others finding them odd.

Really big question is Relievers created with midwife attunement since not even a superior was directly involved in the creation.

Now obviously using it in a way eli would disapprove of is a godo way to lose it
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

When I saw the thread title, the wording made me think of the Nicene creed, in its passage about the divinity of Christ:

... eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God,
Light from Light,
True God from true God,
Begotten, not made ...

More directly to the subject, I can see a mild social distinction between those who can remember the Symphony before the Fall and those who only came afterward, which might work out as a "created vs. made" distinction of sorts. Not as a prejudice, but as a mark of respect for those who took part in God's plan from the earliest beginnings and held true despite stress and temptation.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
dont forget Created vs born It says clearly that in heaven at least their is at least a mild social disparity, not discrimination as much as many others finding them odd.
Check the APG Errata on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/errata/angelic.html
Being "born" instead of created from nothingness or found at the top of a Tether is an oddity, but nearly always a trivial one in the minds of other angels.
Choir is influenced by the Choirs (or Bands) of the parent(s), but free will may cause a reliever to fledge differently, or a Superior may choose to make a fledged angel to start with.

That said, I'm sure that there are distinctions in the minds of angels (and demons... probably more, for demons!), but I wouldn't say there'd be anything like a caste/status system just from that. Of course, the God-created are all really freaking old, and most angels would be likely to respect the probable wisdom that accompanies that age. Some Words would be more inclined to formalize that respect, but other Words (*cough*Wind*cough*) might be equally likely to make sure to tweak the nose of such beings now and then, just to keep 'em from fossilizing.

(You may now imagine Janus buzzing around David's head, going, "You awake? Hey, you awake?" and poking at him. Poke, poke. Not quite touching, but making little poke-flames.)

Tags
angels, celestials